• ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    As a former eastsider, that place, regardless of ownership and location (IIRC, it has moved once) has always been subpar.

We are spoiled on the south/southwest side, especially since that over-the-top guy in Mooresville went out of business.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Wow, it sounds like we're spoiled on the west side. I've had nothing but great experiences at Fort Liberty, Plainfield Shooting Supplies, and Copperhead Ridge. It's been awhile since I've been there, but Bradis in Camby has been good, too.

Maybe it is worth taking a little drive west.

Today I was at Copperhead Ridge, looking for extra mags for a little M&P 380 EZ I picked up in a trade. They were somewhat busy but still greeted me. They didn't have them, but immediately ordered some and said they'd have them for me in a week. Those guys are great. Just like a bunch of buddies hanging out. I like going in there just to chat sometimes.

I agree about the West side. We have it pretty good.
    I had not been in some of the LGS for a bit, so I hit a few recently.

Been doing business with PSS for years, and especially like the new shop. Bob usually has great pricing on the polymer stuff, I like, though for M&P's I noticed he seems pretty high compared to other sources. Glocks, P365, etc he has about the best pricing around, including comparing against the internet.

Fort Liberty is a little up and down over the years, but when in recently they seemed to have a decent enough inventory on guns, a bit more $$ than PSS on the stuff I was looking at, but they were attentive, etc.

Been in Copperhead a couple of times for about 5 minutes or less each time. Seems like a nice enough place, but haven't seen anything that drew me in particularly from an inventory or pricing standpoint. First time was soon after they opened and figured they may just not have much yet. Went in a few days ago and pretty similar to previous trip. I see they do Cerakote and some other stuff, but with Allen right around the corner, not much draw to that for me.

Generally I just don't see a reason to buy accessories in an LGS, pricing and inventory is not usually great, except night sights (installed free when you buy there -- and I go to Bradis to see Kenny now for those when needed now-- used to go see Mark when he was there).

I still drive all the way to the south side to USDS for transfers.

Last edited:

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I used to work there for a small time. I was needing to make some extra money, and I know the current owner personally so I only worked there for a few months this past summer. When I was there, I had great experiences with customers, and wonderful interactions. Of course, I might have brought more energy because it was the first time I worked in a gun shop, and it was very exciting! I also have a sales/advertising/and PR background, so I like to think that I can communicate well with others :rolleyes: As far as straw sales, we caught and turned away many straw sales when I was working. We turned away many sales in fact because of one reason or another.

There is a lot to be said about Indy Gun Bunker, but most importantly, remember the location. This was something that I had to accept when I started. I expected to be selling M1 Garands, and having long chats with gun enthusiasts about historical firearms, and just indulging in selling a gun. Really talking about the background of the gun, the history of the company and all this other fancy stuff, but in reality I'd say that nearly 75% of the customers who came in, were looking for home defense, buying their first firearm, or looking for "extendo clips for a Glock 40".... So my conversations with customers were about how to handle firearms, which is important, but also why the guns on the wall weren't "assault rifles". Still important conversations for people who don't know them.

Indy Gun bunker serves a different crowd of firearms buyers, as opposed to Point Blank, or the Indiana Gun Club. Of course I'm not excusing someones behavior for being unfriendly, but you will find different behavior in different areas of the city.

They are the same family that owns the Army surplus store as well. It used to be Pop Guns and was run by the current owners dad. Now, the son is trying to bring the shop back up to better levels, but it takes some time. They were trying to expand and move to a different building for a little bit there. I have known the owner for a long time, and he's really a nice guy trying to build the business up again. Some of the workers have also been there for a very long time.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I used to work there for a small time. I was needing to make some extra money, and I know the current owner personally so I only worked there for a few months this past summer. When I was there, I had great experiences with customers, and wonderful interactions. Of course, I might have brought more energy because it was the first time I worked in a gun shop, and it was very exciting! I also have a sales/advertising/and PR background, so I like to think that I can communicate well with others :rolleyes: As far as straw sales, we caught and turned away many straw sales when I was working. We turned away many sales in fact because of one reason or another.

There is a lot to be said about Indy Gun Bunker, but most importantly, remember the location. This was something that I had to accept when I started. I expected to be selling M1 Garands, and having long chats with gun enthusiasts about historical firearms, and just indulging in selling a gun. Really talking about the background of the gun, the history of the company and all this other fancy stuff, but in reality I'd say that nearly 75% of the customers who came in, were looking for home defense, buying their first firearm, or looking for "extendo clips for a Glock 40".... So my conversations with customers were about how to handle firearms, which is important, but also why the guns on the wall weren't "assault rifles". Still important conversations for people who don't know them.

Indy Gun bunker serves a different crowd of firearms buyers, as opposed to Point Blank, or the Indiana Gun Club. Of course I'm not excusing someones behavior for being unfriendly, but you will find different behavior in different areas of the city.

They are the same family that owns the Army surplus store as well. It used to be Pop Guns and was run by the current owners dad. Now, the son is trying to bring the shop back up to better levels, but it takes some time. They were trying to expand and move to a different building for a little bit there. I have known the owner for a long time, and he's really a nice guy trying to build the business up again. Some of the workers have also been there for a very long time.

I can appreciate your points, but they've had YEARS to get their situation straightened out and get to better levels. Even the surplus store up the street had surly employees running it, weren't frequently open during posted hours, etc... Their business model is to pander to straw purchases and friends, more power to them. I am under the firm belief and experienced belief that they feel their location and range will ensure they will have a future. I wish them the best of luck but they will never get another dime of mine.

I've been a range officer for over 10 years on the weekends, as well as having worked in several shops. Not once did I change my customer service level based on the area or even customer that walked in. If that's their business model... I don't see them working out long term, especially if they get an ATF sting.

mikem1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Wow itÂ’s sad the son took over the store and itÂ’s not the same but on the bright side there is a little store on Penelton Pike north side of the street before post road i think itÂ’s called KS & E . Old guy real nice 20.00 transfers will hook you up on layaways bad part is he likes to go home at 4:00pm and unless you call him he will be turning the key in his car at 4

Last edited:

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I went there 18 years ago. Some how 50 minutes of range time 2 NRA B2 targets and no ammo totaled up to $48.00. When I questioned the price I got a lot of garbage when I pointed to the rate posted he told me pay up or I call the cops. That was the first and only time I went. So I see nothing has changed even with new ownership.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I went there and was looking at a used gun that was more of a "collectible" than something in the mainstream. I asked if they were willing to deal and he quoted me a discounted price after consulting the owner that was described in the OP. I said I'd think about it.

I did some research and went back the next day. They said that deal was just for that instance that I had asked and wasn't good any longer. It wasn't that stellar of a discount, but what I considered a fair deal for an old pocket pistol type of collectible. His shop, his rules, but I will never, ever go back...

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Stopped in again today after a 6 year hiatus. Same old place just more of a Don's atmosphere. I imagine they'll be out of business before I make it back in.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Stopped in again today after a 6 year hiatus. Same old place just more of a Don's atmosphere. I imagine they'll be out of business before I make it back in.

Not my favorite gun shop, but I don't find them to be all that bad. What about it makes you say it has a "Don's" atmosphere?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Not my favorite gun shop, but I don't find them to be all that bad. What about it makes you say it has a "Don's" atmosphere?

Wait, what? Have you been in either store? :):
    -Overpriced firearms, usually in the order of $100-200+ over pricing of competing Indianapolis stores
    -Over-marked decent quality accessories, with 1.5x pricing on their cheap junk ones
    -No transfers (or in the case of Don's, transfers priced to the point no one wants to do them, so effectively no transfers)
    -Clientele engaging in straw purchases (git me dat gun honey) almost everytime I was in there, as opposed to once in a blue moon, with girlfriends/wives going out to cars filled with the best East Indy (or west Indy at Don's) has to offer to ask them what gun to buy them
    -One out of three clientele entering the store reeking of weed (and the timidness of employees to ask them to leave)
    -Poorly ventilated and lit range with numerous holes in ceiling, chipped concrete in front of stalls from errant rounds
    -Range clientele ranging anywhere from exceedingly dangerous old men who don't understand muzzle discipline or "don't load guns behind people" to gangbangers trying out their new Glawk Fowdy (again, with similar dangerous muzzle direction issues)
    -Lack of focus on customer service
    -Boorish, sophomoric "former (insert civil, military or police service here) experts" that spout off hackneyed and rather dangerous rhetoric (e.g. You only need this Airweight revolver or high recoil impulse .380 honey, or birdshot being superior for HD with a shotgun)
    -Poorly lit, disorganized and generally dirty store
    -Quotes for special order items, such as readily accessible accessories online, for drastically higher pricing than other locations and lead times of a week+ for something in stock at other Indy stores or online
    -Horrifically overpriced ammo ($39.99 for a box of Federal HST, $12+ for FMJ 9mm, etc...)
    -Relatively expensive range time (compared to other locations in Indianapolis) and especially considering the lack of safety monitoring, cleanliness and cross your fingers if the target tracks work or will fall apart with you using it, of course, sticking you with the charge they level at you for 'breaking their range'
    -Laughable trade in values (I'll give you $200 in trade for that Gen4 Glock 9mm, $100 at Don's)
    -The higher chance of crimes of opportunity to be committed against you as you leave both facilities

I mean, the difference between them is that Don's used to allow rifles, not sure if that's a thing anymore...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    -Overpriced firearms, usually in the order of $100-200+ over pricing of competing Indianapolis stores
    -Over-marked decent quality accessories, with 1.5x pricing on their cheap junk ones
    -No transfers (or in the case of Don's, transfers priced to the point no one wants to do them, so effectively no transfers)
    -Clientele engaging in straw purchases (git me dat gun honey) almost everytime I was in there, as opposed to once in a blue moon, with girlfriends/wives going out to cars filled with the best East Indy (or west Indy at Don's) has to offer to ask them what gun to buy them
    -One out of three clientele entering the store reeking of weed (and the timidness of employees to ask them to leave)
    -Poorly ventilated and lit range with numerous holes in ceiling, chipped concrete in front of stalls from errant rounds
    -Range clientele ranging anywhere from exceedingly dangerous old men who don't understand muzzle discipline or "don't load guns behind people" to gangbangers trying out their new Glawk Fowdy (again, with similar dangerous muzzle direction issues)
    -Boorish, sophomoric "former (insert civil, military or police service here) experts" that spout off hackneyed and rather dangerous rhetoric (e.g. You only need this Airweight revolver or high recoil impulse .380 honey, or birdshot being superior for HD with a shotgun)
    -Quotes for special order items, such as readily accessible accessories online, for drastically higher pricing than other locations and lead times of a week+ for something in stock at other Indy stores or online
    -Horrifically overpriced ammo ($39.99 for a box of Federal HST, $12+ for FMJ 9mm, etc...)
    -Relatively expensive range time (compared to other locations in Indianapolis) and especially considering the lack of safety monitoring, cleanliness and cross your fingers if the target tracks work or will fall apart with you using it, of course, sticking you with the charge they level at you for 'breaking their range'
    -Laughable trade in values (I'll give you $200 in trade for that Gen4 Glock 9mm, $100 at Don's)
    -The higher chance of crimes of opportunity to be committed against you as you leave both facilities

I mean, the difference between them is that Don's used to allow rifles, not sure if that's a thing anymore...

You'd have to be a really frequent client to notice all of this. Most people only touch a hot stove once. :):

:coffee:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

What's not to love?

Top Bottom