• ...and so much more!
  • BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Wait, what? Have you been in either store? :):
    -Overpriced firearms, usually in the order of $100-200+ over pricing of competing Indianapolis stores
    -Over-marked decent quality accessories, with 1.5x pricing on their cheap junk ones
    -No transfers (or in the case of Don's, transfers priced to the point no one wants to do them, so effectively no transfers)
    -Clientele engaging in straw purchases (git me dat gun honey) almost everytime I was in there, as opposed to once in a blue moon, with girlfriends/wives going out to cars filled with the best East Indy (or west Indy at Don's) has to offer to ask them what gun to buy them
    -One out of three clientele entering the store reeking of weed (and the timidness of employees to ask them to leave)
    -Poorly ventilated and lit range with numerous holes in ceiling, chipped concrete in front of stalls from errant rounds
    -Range clientele ranging anywhere from exceedingly dangerous old men who don't understand muzzle discipline or "don't load guns behind people" to gangbangers trying out their new Glawk Fowdy (again, with similar dangerous muzzle direction issues)
    -Lack of focus on customer service
    -Boorish, sophomoric "former (insert civil, military or police service here) experts" that spout off hackneyed and rather dangerous rhetoric (e.g. You only need this Airweight revolver or high recoil impulse .380 honey, or birdshot being superior for HD with a shotgun)
    -Poorly lit, disorganized and generally dirty store
    -Quotes for special order items, such as readily accessible accessories online, for drastically higher pricing than other locations and lead times of a week+ for something in stock at other Indy stores or online
    -Horrifically overpriced ammo ($39.99 for a box of Federal HST, $12+ for FMJ 9mm, etc...)
    -Relatively expensive range time (compared to other locations in Indianapolis) and especially considering the lack of safety monitoring, cleanliness and cross your fingers if the target tracks work or will fall apart with you using it, of course, sticking you with the charge they level at you for 'breaking their range'
    -Laughable trade in values (I'll give you $200 in trade for that Gen4 Glock 9mm, $100 at Don's)
    -The higher chance of crimes of opportunity to be committed against you as you leave both facilities

I mean, the difference between them is that Don's used to allow rifles, not sure if that's a thing anymore...

Being a former employee, I can shed some light on these.. Of course I cant answer for some of it, because I only worked there for a few months while in between jobs. Also, I can only speak for myself. I do not know about the other salesmen there.

"Overpriced firearms" - Yes. I have nothing else to say about this. The guns had nor problem selling at their prices. I regularly sold FN FiveSevens for $1499 over there. We couldn't hold onto those guns. I went into gander in Greenfield and they had a 5.7 for $1299. I asked how many they sell, and the guy told me they never sell them. They have had theirs on the shelf for months. :patriot:
    "No transfers" - I was told by the owner that the insurance was too high too accommodate this.
    "reeking of weed" - this is also true, but we did not sell any firearms or ammo to anyone smelling of weed.
    "straw purchases" - regularly turned away straw purchases. Once again, I cant speak for every instance, but during my time there, we regularly turned them away.
    "holes in range etc." - Yes. This is true. It's impossible to control everyone shooting. I remember kicking people out for using rifles on the range, erratic shooting etc. Once the holes are there though, it takes some time to replace. Bottom line, range needs updated.
    "Horrifically overpriced ammo" - Yes. Nothing else to say about this.
    "breaking range" - Yes there were multiple times when someone would break the equipment because they would aim too high, and shoot the target rail. It was difficult to curb this, given the clientele.
    "higher chances of crime" - Not really the gun shops fault for the area having higher crime rate.

I cant speak for everyone who works there, and these are all very valid complaints. Just hope I could shed some light on some of them. Would I change things if I could? Absolutely. But I also don't have a gun shop.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Actually an update to this. I just went in there today to get some magazines. Noticed that the price of the FN 5.7 was actually $1,349.99. Not $1,499 as I had stated in the post above.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    This is a really old thread, but I was on East Washington for the first time in years and thought I'd check out the surplus side of the store. Long story short, I was in the store probably twenty minutes, checked out everything, and wasn't spoken to, greeted, nodded at or even looked at that I could tell. There were 3 or 4 other customers in the store. I even spent some time pointedly starting at the ammo selection (unorganized I might add) while checking ammoseek to see what prices to expect when someone came to ask if I needed help. Nobody did, so I left. Pretty lame experience.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    They were unfriendly back when it was Pops Guns. I used the range a few times but haven't been back once I realized there were better options available.

I know this an old thread, but I'm actually surprised to hear this about Pop Guns. This was the first shop I visited when I first moved to Indiana in 2000, and I bought lots of stuff there. LOTS. Rifles, a shotgun, pistols, accessories, and a gun safe. The owner (Mike, I think?) was the guy I dealt with most of the time. He would give me discounts, talk to me and my wife and kids like we were friends, let the kids play with the dog he had in the shop (a big friendly Newfoundland). We would just chat for a bit when I was just browsing and didn't know what I wanted, or even if he didn't have anything in stock that I wanted. He got to know what I liked, and when I asked to see something, he would sometimes tell me that he'd let me see it, but I wasn't going to like it, and he was right.

I thought it was a good shop when it was Pop Guns, at least back then.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I know this an old thread, but I'm actually surprised to hear this about Pop Guns. This was the first shop I visited when I first moved to Indiana in 2000, and I bought lots of stuff there. LOTS. Rifles, a shotgun, pistols, accessories, and a gun safe. The owner (Mike, I think?) was the guy I dealt with most of the time. He would give me discounts, talk to me and my wife and kids like we were friends, let the kids play with the dog he had in the shop (a big friendly Newfoundland). We would just chat for a bit when I was just browsing and didn't know what I wanted, or even if he didn't have anything in stock that I wanted. He got to know what I liked, and when I asked to see something, he would sometimes tell me that he'd let me see it, but I wasn't going to like it, and he was right.

I thought it was a good shop when it was Pop Guns, at least back then.

I guess you had to be a regular. The guy in front of me on my last visit was treated like royalty.

And way back when before the Obama induced panic, I had OK service too. I'd visit the range and shoot without much wait, look around and be treated OK, etc. Hell, it was better than Don's So I guess me using that as a metric, maybe it wasnt a very high bar? LOL But seriously, it was a decent shop at one time. But not for a good 15 years or so IMHO.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I guess you had to be a regular. The guy in front of me on my last visit was treated like royalty.

And way back when before the Obama induced panic, I had OK service too. I'd visit the range and shoot without much wait, look around and be treated OK, etc. Hell, it was better than Don's So I guess me using that as a metric, maybe it wasnt a very high bar? LOL But seriously, it was a decent shop at one time. But not for a good 15 years or so IMHO.

My experience was many years before yours, under the old ownership.

I did take a drive to the bunker on a whim maybe 3 or 4 years ago because I was in that part of town, and it was definitely not the place I remembered. I felt like it was a burden to them to serve me, and I haven't been back since.

I was an FFL in 1989 and 1990, during my break in service in the Army, and it was awesome. I really wanted to open a gun shop when I eventually retired from the Army, but the political and legal landscape had changed so much in between my reenlistment and retirement, that opening a gun shop was no longer a viable option. I have a really great concept for one, but the insurance would probably crush the business.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    The East side is the east side. Same clientele whether your at Kroger or a gun shop or the gas station. Lived there all my life. As I read all the comments here I am surprised because I have always had good service from Mike and several others working there. Some of the comments about the junky range are true and the ammo can be high but I know for a fact he would never engage in a straw purchase transaction.His Dad was a Marion County reserve deputy I believe..From some comments here it seems that they feel if a black woman purchased a gun it must be a straw purchase for her boyfriend. Maybe she just wants to enjoy the same 2nd amendment as you and I do. Yes black people do have a different way culture and speak in there own way but...it sounds alot like some of you are afraid of negros with guns. I mean only a white guy from the country/suburbs should be able to have a gun?? I think some of you are riding a very high horse..

Eorrick

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Had a layaway there and stopped in to find a holster during my lunch break and maybe put a few bucks on my layaway.

I guess the store manager or owner, bigger guy, asked me what I needed, told him I needed an OWB holster for my Taurus 605. He brought out three leather options, but they didn't really call out to me, was hoping they might have something with a thumb strap. Told him I was looking for something like that, so he put the holsters back on his shelf, but then completely ignored me. Went back to checking in items, didn't ask if I wanted something else, didn't ask about an IWB holster, which I was also considering. I saw a holster on the shelf that he didn't bring up to the counter that was on the wrong peg but would have fitted the bill. Stood there for 5 minutes, him eyeing me, finally coming over and asking if I wanted to see another one. I examined it, good to go. Not great customer service, but I'm used to it at gun shops.

I asked about my layaway and that I was thinking of just cancelling it and I understood there would be a restock fee. No, he said, no restock, you just lose all the money you put on it or just pay it off or extend the time that it can be in layaway. Most places, if not all, offer restock, not just "lose all your money you put on it". Thank God it was a single shot shotgun, not a Glock or something. He then pronounced that 'it was on the contract agreement you signed'. No offer of customer service or restock at a percentage, nothing that a normal gunshop and every other one I've been to would do. Just stick to job description, shove the contract in their face.

Fine, put the holster back, I'll pay off my layaway and not return. Tried to give me a free range token, but reminded me "we don't allow shotguns". Coupled with their range being down because the hood rats shot up the target holder rails. No consideration of customer service, no focus, just 'gimme the cash and get out' mentality.

While I can give them a -1, I am sure the money they lost from me will be made up with a couple of straw purchase sales that I have frequently saw occurring there in the past in previous visits.

Lesson learned. Stick to job description and don't deviate.
    who's fault is it for not knowing the rules of the transaction you entered into? sorry, its a dick policy but that being said, it was a dick policy you failed to read and it is not the businesses fault. thanks for letting us know about their dick policy though...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The East side is the east side. Same clientele whether your at Kroger or a gun shop or the gas station. Lived there all my life. As I read all the comments here I am surprised because I have always had good service from Mike and several others working there. Some of the comments about the junky range are true and the ammo can be high but I know for a fact he would never engage in a straw purchase transaction.His Dad was a Marion County reserve deputy I believe..From some comments here it seems that they feel if a black woman purchased a gun it must be a straw purchase for her boyfriend. Maybe she just wants to enjoy the same 2nd amendment as you and I do. Yes black people do have a different way culture and speak in there own way but...it sounds alot like some of you are afraid of negros with guns. I mean only a white guy from the country/suburbs should be able to have a gun?? I think some of you are riding a very high horse..
    wtf.gif

Top Bottom