• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22ishplinkster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I went to the Yuletide event at Indianapolis Symphony and was surprised to see that along with typical rent a paul blart (unarmed). They has multiple Evolv Technology scanners throughout the building. Both at entrance and in hallways.

Looks like they use multi frequency detection in addition to algorithms to detect weapons. I have no clue about the accuracy of the things, but I hope we dont see them at other indy venues.

Especially with unarmed "guards" who likely wouldnt risk their personal safety over a minimum wage "security" job.

Wonder if IN legislature can pass something which puts legal liability on any venue that disarms its patrons..

Just some thoughts.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Yep. Have a relative who works there, and they check your vaccine card (have to show it), and they run you through a scanner. They have an _awful_ time getting the old folks with joint orthopedics through without setting off the buzzer, since the symphony's regular clientele is, well...old folks.

It is coming people. The only thing preventing it everywhere you go, is that the cost of the technology hasn't come down enough. The Symphony is _constantly_ hurting for funds, and routinely has to pass the tin cup for support to keep operating because their deep-pockets clientele keeps dying off. If an organization of that financial profile can make room in their budget for this crap, it will eventually be EVERYwhere.

...Especially if SCOTUS rules in favor of Concealed Carry. If and when SCOTUS strips away the Elite's security blanket which currently (falsely) assures them they're not constantly surrounded by guns, you are going to see a nucking-futs panicked scramble to acquire these technologies. (If fact, I wouldn't be surprised if employees of companies, schools, and organizations like symphonies don't begin DEMANDING it).

We are outnumbered by rabbit-people. If you're a shameless pursuer of good investments, invest in the company who makes this stuff (assuming they're not pirate equity...which I'm sure they likely are).

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I could think of a lot of venues that would benefit by keeping guns out, but the symphony isn't one of them.
    I agree. But remember the type of people you're dealing with. A lot of them would take guns away from the POLICE if they could.

Several years ago, Hillary Hahn was debuting a new Violin piece at Hilbert, and stopped stone dead cold in the middle of her solo, because a German stalker who follows her around the world showed up at the Symphony, and she caught a glimpse of him in the audience. I mean you could have heard a pin drop.

Convincing performers they don't need or want this will be impossible. Remember the guy who recently burned his house down trying to get rid of snakes? People are irrational. They focus on the wrong threats, to the exclusion of all else, even if it's to their overall detriment.

And to Elite symphony-attending people, guns are that snake under the house. A lot of them tacitly accept utopian pacifist ideals, and at any decision-fork in the road, they'll pick the road going left whether it ultimately helps them or not.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I could think of a lot of venues that would benefit by keeping guns out, but the symphony isn't one of them.

Typically the symphony is a hotbed of gang violence.
    You have the cellists posse in the same venue as the woodwind crews mixing it all up you have a recipe for disaster.

Don't even get me started on the percussion pride mafia, those guys are ****ing psychos.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So we go to all plastic guns with plastic cased ammo. If you have to use it for self defense, you tear it apart to dispose of it and print another one

Unless their AI tech can detect the primers, stalemate reforms at a different equilibrium point

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Very worrisome they are force disarming their patrons. What are they doing to protect them, since they've taken away their ability to protect themselves? Unarmed "mall cops" aren't going to cut it... At the very least, they need many off-duty armed LEO doing security if they go this route.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Just listen to WICR. Greater selection of composers and pieces, instead of the same ****ing Mozart and John Williams ********.

Cheaper too, even if you become a donor.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Very worrisome they are force disarming their patrons. What are they doing to protect them, since they've taken away their ability to protect themselves? Unarmed "mall cops" aren't going to cut it... At the very least, they need many off-duty armed LEO doing security if they go this route.
    It has nothing to do with protecting the patrons. They care nothing of the patrons other than they are money supply for their highbrow entertainment and “philanthropy.” The detectors are there to protect THEM, the snooty elite, from the unwashed masses who might be lucky enough to save a little money to buy a ticket to a fancy-schmancy show. They can’t have a peanut gallery anymore so everyone goes through security - except for the power players.

Top Bottom