• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tbell7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Aug 21, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I keep hearing ammo prices mentioned, but no specifics on which prices are being referred to. There were several different dealers selling ammo at the show. Most of them did have ridiculously high prices but I don't think all of the prices were that high if you actually shop around. Some people tend to see one dealer with high prices and then infer that all of the prices at the show are pretty much the same (they never are). I saw 1 box of .22 WRF for $35 on a table, and I saw another identical box for $14.02 on a different table.

$30.85 for 500 rounds of .22LR
    $45.80 for 100 round of brass cased .45 ACP
    $21.50 for 20 rounds of .30-30
    $26.17 for 50 rounds of brass cased, hollow point 10mm
    $546.73 for 1,200 rounds of brass cased, 62 gr. .223, or $46.73 for 100 rounds
    $14.02 for 50 rounds of CCI hollow point .22 Magnum

Are these prices really that far out of line? Maybe they are and I'm just not up with the current market as well as I think I am.
    These prices were all available at the show.

The last time I went to Rural King (in Kokomo), their prices have been going up and the selection was terrible. The ammo market is strange right now.
    I actually did purchase some cci .22 magnum for $15 a box. Deal of the day in my opinion! $$

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The cheapest 9mm that I saw at the show was $13.09 for 50, so you are correct, AE ammo would be cheaper on that particular caliber. I don't think $13.09 is "insulting" though.
    Most dont figure in the cost of fuel, employees, food, hotel, table cost, shrink at shows and other related business costs.
    Oh, Thing 2 and I stopped in and gabbed with Brians Dad a bit, on mon and grabbed a 8lber of seven.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    When I first got into guns in 82 or 83 the gun show was where you went to get a deal. And there were deals to be had. Especially on ammo. I think the gun show will soon be a thing of the past unless vendors compete with online sales. If your looking for the odd and unusual thats where you will find it though

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    When I first got into guns in 82 or 83 the gun show was where you went to get a deal. If your looking for the odd and unusual thats where you will find it though
    Pre internet the gun show was where you saw the latest and greatest items in person instead of on the magazine pages. We all new the MAGS were not going to tell the truth about items and risk the advertising space.
    Sure ammo vendors and surplus ammo was around and well stocked up everywhere. Plus the disgruntled soldier type always a blast to talk to.

On my last trip to gatlinburg TN I stopped by "Bud's gun shop" and what I saw for sale was really not what I would buy gun wise anyway. I think I spent more time at the Lodge factory outlet then I did at buds. If that is what is available online from "America's Gun store" I will keep buying at the shows. Not as much a knock on buds as a knock on the current line up from manufacturers who seem to cost cut all the wood and blues steel for plastic and parkerized finishes. Maybe that was just what they had in stock but I was not impressed in anything but the indoor range was nice.

The only thing that will kill the gun show is legislating it out of business. When they fill the gun show loophole then if I can not sell on the spot lots of table owners will spend Saturday at the football game and Sunday at church.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Most dont figure in the cost of fuel, employees, food, hotel, table cost, shrink at shows and other related business costs.
    Exactly. At $50 per table, my booth space alone is $1,000 at Stout Field. Everything else you mentioned adds up quickly as well.
    Some shows, like Crown Point, my overhead for the weekend can be in excess of $4,000 all in. Most people don't understand that.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    If I would have seen the $13 9mm FMJ fifty round boxes, I would have grabbed some.
    AE sounds reasonable but a slight trip south from Fishers.
    I used recoilgunworks, 9mm Blazer 115 gr fifty round boxes are currently $11.49, with 124 gr 12.49.
    I qualify for free shipping, and pay the same Indiana state sales tax.
    So that’s where I go.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    And for the people complaining about ammo prices, try looking at our tables this time. People rush through the show and complain about pricing but apparently don't even see what we have displayed! We will have 9mm Wolf for $10.29 per box plus tax. Case of 1,000 is less than $200 before tax.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Back again this weekend, August 26th and 27th
    Well I haven't crossed your path since 1 July, and I am in need of one of them newly-legal throwing stars.

OK, maybe I'm in want of one of them newly-legal throwing stars.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Well I haven't crossed your path since 1 July, and I am in need of one of them newly-legal throwing stars.

OK, maybe I'm in want of one of them newly-legal throwing stars.
    Well, as long as the people I have running things have been updating the restock list properly, we should have at least a couple different kinds of stars available because we have them at the store. I just box up what they say we sold to restock. They are usually pretty good about keeping up with things, but occasionally a couple items fall through the cracks (they get busy and forget to write it down). The only show I've been to in the last few weeks was Crown Point, and I was only there about half the time. I didn't really see what we had at that end of the table, and they don't set things up exactly the same way I used to.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well, as long as the people I have running things have been updating the restock list properly, we should have at least a couple different kinds of stars available because we have them at the store. I just box up what they say we sold to restock. They are usually pretty good about keeping up with things, but occasionally a couple items fall through the cracks (they get busy and forget to write it down). The only show I've been to in the last few weeks was Crown Point, and I was only there about half the time. I didn't really see what we had at that end of the table, and they don't set things up exactly the same way I used to.
    I read sometime back you were starting to slow down on attending the shows yourself. Sounds like you've earned a break after a lot of years.

I'm definitely not a "throwing star guy", so if they are star-shaped and pointy I'm good.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Like an INGO gathering here today. @paintball_addiction @Bradsknives and @Smith& W are all here.

Snagged my now legal throwing stars at the booth of @Brian's Surplus . Brian isn’t here but his doppelgänger Jarrett is in the booth. I walked up and was thinking, Man! Brian’s beard has gotten gray since I last saw him. :lmfao:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Typical StoutField show, some deals to be had usual crowd / vendors. Not too many folks there at 10:30. I picked up a new Steyr A2 mag for 25! and more ammo cans for 13$ each.
    I missed a near mint Russian SKS. Got intercepted by an older guy who gave 450.00 for it. I asked the guy if he would take 550.00 after he bought it…..no dice. There is a guy who had a factory green laminate sks at the last 1500 perhaps he still has it at the next show…

I was wearing a grey AR pew pew club shirt.

Top Bottom