Indiana State Police - do they follow any guidelines when in route to a crime?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I was passed by a Indiana State Police car this evening around 8:30pm going westbound on 465 near 865.

I saw him around a 1/4 mile behind me, coming up fast with flashers and sirens. I was in the middle lane and started signalling/merging to get to the right lane (he was coming up in the fast lane). Next thing I know, he comes around and passes me in the slow lane at approx 120mph. He had to use all of the shoulder and then some not to lose it, effectively spraying rocks and debris all over my car.

If I was a soccer mom and didn't see him coming, I could have easily **** my pants, over corrected, and had some major problems on my hand. Even knowing he was coming up, it scared the **** out of me as I was expecting him to pass in one of the faster lanes.

Do they follow any rules about excessive speed? He was not in pursuit, a few miles later I saw two cruisers had someone stopped and handcuffed on the side of 865 eastbound. He drove probably a mile past them (west bound), and then turned around in the median and went their direction. They existing officers handling the stop did not appear to be any duress.

I know some departments have "do not pursue" procedures in place to limit the potential of accidents and innocents being injured/killed. How is this any different from an officer going ~120 on the way to a scene of a crime?

And as a background, I'm a 35/M, who has drag raced and road raced cars his whole adult life. I have a traffic record pages and pages long due to stuff I used to do in my younger days. This was totally reckless and nearly out of control.

I should have it captured on dash cam if anyone wants to see it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll go out on a limb and say there was likely a good reason for him to be driving that fast. ISP doesn't play games when it comes to that sort of thing and the penalties a trooper faces for driving like that are stiff if it is not justified. A lot can happen in a short period of time and you don't know what information he had while responding and what may have changed by the time you got to the other officers.

Pursuits are different than responding to in progress situations. The biggest danger in a pursuit comes from the moron the officer is chasing. Do not pursue policies are beyond ridiculous. Policies which mitigate the risks are fine.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    ttx3cpR.gif

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I was passed by a Indiana State Police car this evening around 8:30pm going westbound on 465 near 865.

I saw him around a 1/4 mile behind me, coming up fast with flashers and sirens. I was in the middle lane and started signalling/merging to get to the right lane (he was coming up in the fast lane). Next thing I know, he comes around and passes me in the slow lane at approx 120mph. He had to use all of the shoulder and then some not to lose it, effectively spraying rocks and debris all over my car.

If I was a soccer mom and didn't see him coming, I could have easily **** my pants, over corrected, and had some major problems on my hand. Even knowing he was coming up, it scared the **** out of me as I was expecting him to pass in one of the faster lanes.

Do they follow any rules about excessive speed? He was not in pursuit, a few miles later I saw two cruisers had someone stopped and handcuffed on the side of 865 eastbound. He drove probably a mile past them (west bound), and then turned around in the median and went their direction. They existing officers handling the stop did not appear to be any duress.

I know some departments have "do not pursue" procedures in place to limit the potential of accidents and innocents being injured/killed. How is this any different from an officer going ~120 on the way to a scene of a crime?

And as a background, I'm a 35/M, who has drag raced and road raced cars his whole adult life. I have a traffic record pages and pages long due to stuff I used to do in my younger days. This was totally reckless and nearly out of control.

I should have it captured on dash cam if anyone wants to see it.

You have footage, copy it so it doesn't disappear and send it in like frank,said with a complaint. If he had good reason and is within policy then nothing will happen to him. If he was pulling a stupid then May be he needs some more training.
    Who,knows he may have had other issues like this but with no proof he's still on the road. Your complaint could save his life or a innocent persons.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Doug Carter takes no **** when it comes to stuff like this trust me.

Call the Post with unit number.

ISP is allowed to go 2mph over posted speed limit when not running code. Serious

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So someone is going to call in a complaint over and officer speeding to a scene, signal 10, where someone is eventually taken into custody? All I had to head was "step it up," and I was going to get there as fast as I possibly could.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

ISP is allowed to go 2mph over posted speed limit when not running code. Serious

Doug Carter is probably the best LE administrator I've ever met. And he can can grill a mean burger.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    So someone is going to call in a complaint over and officer speeding to a scene, signal 10, where someone is eventually taken into custody? All I had to head was "step it up," and I was going to get there as fast as I possibly could.

My point was not that he was speeding. I've been passed by cops all the time doing 90-100mph. But up until yesterday, I've never been scared or startled by an officer passing me..

He had to be doing ~120mph and on top of that making erratic lane changes at a very high rate of speed. He literally came around me on the shoulder of the slow lane.

If he was justified in going that fast, then I'm all for it. But hopefully someones life was in immediate danger to put both mine and the officer who was driving at risk.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I had a retired State Trooper, for a "Profesor" at IUPUI, in 1988,

for a Criminal Justice class .....

He told us, State Police "cruising speed", was 10 over the limit,

to prevent them from "getting trapped" in a "bunch" of traffic .....

Policy or not, I do not know .....

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI

Having driven US 31 from US 20 to I 465 round trip 5 nites a week for 20+ years, I can attest from witnessed behavior there are far more Troopers than you may want to think, that don't take that policy seriously.

My favorite contradiction is the Trooper who'll park on the pavement in the center of a divided hwy where a cross road intersects completely in the dark with no light on awaiting someone they can pull over because their one malfunctioning light possesses a threat to others

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Having driven US 31 from US 20 to I 465 round trip 5 nites a week for 20+ years, I can attest from witnessed behavior there are far more Troopers than you may want to think, that don't take that policy seriously.

My favorite contradiction is the Trooper who'll park on the pavement in the center of a divided hwy where a cross road intersects completely in the dark with no light on awaiting someone they can pull over because their one malfunctioning light possesses a threat to others

I was told, by a State Trooper, to set my cruise control, at 7-10 above, and I would never be pulled over .....

And, I have never passed a State Trooper, on I-70, 465, I-65, or I-69,

With my cruise set .....

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's a bad idea to pass on the right period...police or no, lights or no. Passing on the right is generally driven by someone obstructing the flow of traffic.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's a bad idea to pass on the right period...police or no, lights or no. Passing on the right is generally driven by someone obstructing the flow of traffic.

Generally yes, but for LE, it's situation dependent.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I try to avoid doing that at all possible, but sometimes it is necessary when the idiot drivers move to the left instead of the right.

Or just friggin' stop in the road.

I've been in one crash in my police car. I was rear ended while I had my lights and sirens on and was waiting to clear an intersection for a left turn. A woman hit me just as I started the turn. She told the AI that she thought I was going to pull someone over so figured I'd move right...

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Or just friggin' stop in the road.

I've been in one crash in my police car. I was rear ended while I had my lights and sirens on and was waiting to clear an intersection for a left turn. A woman hit me just as I started the turn. She told the AI that she thought I was going to pull someone over so figured I'd move right...

:ugh:

Top Bottom