• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    They "brought in" $957 million less than they spent. Looks like they managed to balance the books in the end, but the trend of spending has to stop and reverse, if Indiana isn't going to go the way of Illinois. The legislators have to get their act together and take a machete to any future budgets. They're also going to have to halt chopping at education, since it is constitutionally mandated in Indiana. They'd best make up their minds where they want this state to go, since the economy isn't going to get a whole lot better any time soon. Tax revenues are going to continue to plummet for the foreseeable future. It's way past the time that the downsizing began.

via Indy Star

Indiana has brought in $957 million less in revenue for fiscal year 2010 than
    lawmakers budgeted for, State Auditor Tim Berry announced this morning in
    closing the state's books for the year.To make ends meet, state officials made $669 million in spending cuts and
    reduced reserves from $1.3 billion to $830 million.
    Berry and state budget officials will also detail how much of the state's $1.3 billion surplus has been spent to date to cover revenue shortfalls and how much of the losses have been covered in spending cuts. Gov. Mitch Daniels and state lawmakers have projected that the state's savings would last through the end of the current budget cycle which ends June 30, 2011.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    It is very difficult to have a balanced budget during a nasty recession like this. I'm not saying that cuts don't have to be made, but laying off cops and teachers is not a good idea during tough economic times.

What we need is a level of economic responsibility at the state level that allows them to run surpluses in good times so that they have the cash to weather bad times.

Any business that didn't do this would go under. Government lacks that level of accountability and that's why we're in this mess in the first place.

Considering that our national government can't set a good example at the top, it'd be a good thing for the states to show Congress how it's done.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    They don't have a balance budget because they spend it like it's some one else's money. They spend it stupidly and they manage the state stupidly.

Mitch only balances the budget because he manages the same way a GM supervisor manages, like he's already making an exit strategy, instead of like some one temporarily managing a state or company he would like to see succeed for 50 - 100 years. He manages like what it is, some one who needs to make his self look good for 4 years, get his ticket punched and move on leaving the crap for the next guy to deal with.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What we need is a level of economic responsibility at the state level that allows them to run surpluses in good times so that they have the cash to weather bad times.

I agree with you here but can you imagine the outrage and screaming that would be going on about the state turning a profit? Wouldn't matter for one second that it was the fiscally responsible thing to do.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    They "brought in" $957 million less than they spent. Looks like they managed to balance the books in the end, but the trend of spending has to stop and reverse . . .

Um, actually the trend has reversed this year. According to the state auditor, who recently closed the fiscal year books, Indiana state government spent less this fiscal year than it did the last fiscal year.

First time in history I believe. WIBC was reporting this over lunch today.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    One thing is to slash local government. Why in the hell do we still have township trustee's? I think a county based one would be much better.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I agree with you here but can you imagine the outrage and screaming that would be going on about the state turning a profit? Wouldn't matter for one second that it was the fiscally responsible thing to do.

Maybe. It'd depend on who was in power, what their experience was, and how it was spun.

I know if I were the governor, there'd be an awful lot of fat trimmed from the budget, especially in good times.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Speaking as an employee of local government. Here's part of the problem most people don't get. Over a number of years departments/ divisions have ben told to cut spending, cut spending. So they cut here, cut there and now they have wittled away all the fat from the budget. What is left are the necessities and services to the citizens. Everyone wants the same services but there's less money coming in and no more to really cut out of the budget without impacting what the citizens want.
    Should we cut back garbage pick up to bi weekly? or maybe close down the pools and a couple parks? stop patching street? or quit plownig snow in the winter? Maybe we should cut back on public safety spending. Now there's probably more wiggle room there than they'll tell people about. One area could be park the police cars when the officer is off duty and quit paying their fuel costs for personal use. Then again another problem with downsizing is that you get into potentially cutting jobs. Those who are at the top won't cut their job it would get dumped on people further down the hill and of course we don't need anymore people drawing on unemployment. Times are tough but we need our jobs too. I have said numerous times that since less and less people are smoking and they keep raising cigarette taxes...I think alcohol taxes shoud take the hit for a while. Many more people drink than smoke and those who smoke often drink too. Plus it's my understanding alcohol taxes haven't been raised for many years, and then start selling it on Sunday. They have to find a way to generate revenue to maintain the expected quality of life in our society.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Indiana state government spent less this fiscal year than it did the last fiscal year.

What I was going to say.

As bad as Indiana's fiscal situation is, we are actually one of the most fiscally responsible states. We've got to get ourselves out of a hole, but it is not that deep comparitively and at least we're not digging.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    What I was going to say.

As bad as Indiana's fiscal situation is, we are actually one of the most fiscally responsible states. We've got to get ourselves out of a hole, but it is not that deep comparitively and at least we're not digging.

+1

IN has done remarkably well given how dependent it is on the auto industry, which has taken some pretty hard hits of late resulting in an unemployment number that's worse than the 9.5% national average. (10% seasonally adjusted)

Not only that, but the budget projection was made a year ago, before Dear Leader and his merry band of moronic minions were able to really get their economic wrecking ball swinging.

It ain't great, but I have to give this state credit for making do pretty well with bad hand.

IN did it, more or less, the way you're supposed to: stack up reserves during good times to draw on during recessions/depressions like the one we're in.

signut49

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Wherever I want
    Nope not at all. Center Township in Indy has a 6 million dollar surplus!

Mitch is wanting to do away with the township trustees. Also, he wants to get rid of all county elected officials and appoint a County Administrator to take their place. How would you like to have to do all your dealings at the the State level? Just food for thought. :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2010
    Don't let the state and local governments fool you, cutting teachers, police and fire is a ploy to make it seem like we must raise taxes. Government could be much smaller if we just followed the state and federal constitutions. Education does not need to cost as much as it does, end the government monopoly, let the parents decide what school to send their children to and let the schools compete for the students. Have the money follow the student. Competition always gives better results at lower costs and brings innovation.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Don't let the state and local governments fool you, cutting teachers, police and fire is a ploy to make it seem like we must raise taxes. Government could be much smaller if we just followed the state and federal constitutions. Education does not need to cost as much as it does, end the government monopoly, let the parents decide what school to send their children to and let the schools compete for the students. Have the money follow the student. Competition always gives better results at lower costs and brings innovation.

thats why i'm voting for you!! :patriot:

Top Bottom