• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    To my layman's reading, this decision is the Indiana version of US v Black. My favorite, and oft-quoted passage, from that ruling:

Being a felon in possession of a firearm is not the default status. More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states.

Kinda sorta.

Carrying a handgun in Indiana is a default criminal status.

Regardless, this is an enormous win. Someone call Jim Lucas first thing tomorrow!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Mother of Pearl, they cited Prouse!!!

So, why do we need to have the LTCH now?

MWXVe.gif

I was thinking the same.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Kinda sorta.

That statement drives to the heart of this decision, though, doesn't it? The practical application of this decision is that carrying a firearm is no longer per se grounds to detain someone.

Regardless, this is an enormous win. Someone call Jim Lucas first thing tomorrow!

He's already been partying on Facebook.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Dammit, Janet, I *LITERALLY* checked the appellate opinions early this afternoon and it wasn't there. But, to quote my esteemed colleague... Ho Lee Carp.
    But the proper exercise of authority does not determine the constitutionality of a suspect’s detention or the propriety of the evidence seized.
    Indeed. Cops started out doing the right thing, but got sideways. Now there's a map for how to do this.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A win, for sure...but let's not get over our skies.

They question will be what plus the gun gets you PC? They didn't say the gun was excluded from the PC discussion, only that carrying a gun alone was not enough.

What...you guys don't read the new decisions every day?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Kinda sorta.

I just texted him on reading this. :woot:

He's already been partying on Facebook.

That's cool, too!

My thanks to Kirk for confirming that it was, indeed, Prouse that they cited. I am MOST pleased!

Blessings,
    Bill

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Kinda sorta.

As I argued above, I don't think it has been a default criminal status since the big revisions back circa 2012 or so. I guess you could say is a default criminal status in the same way that driving a vehicle is since that is the exact analogy used by the court. I was surprised and pleased that they noted that the license requirement is nothing more than a regulatory scheme.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A win, for sure...but let's not get over our skies.

They question will be what plus the gun gets you PC? They didn't say the gun was excluded from the PC discussion, only that carrying a gun alone was not enough.

What...you guys don't read the new decisions every day?

As a certified appellate geek, yes... well, most days, for cases that look interesting.

Second, as proof, I'm pretty sure this will end up being Rucker's last authored opinion.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As I argued above, I don't think it has been a default criminal status since the big revisions back circa 2012 or so. I guess you could say is a default criminal status in the same way that driving a vehicle is since that is the exact analogy used by the court. I was surprised and pleased that they noted that the license requirement is nothing more than a regulatory scheme.

There are a number of significant points in Pinner but I believe you have identified the most significant.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Huh? Details please?

Oh, sorry, Justice Rucker announced his retirement early this year. The ceremony was actually Monday.

Supreme Court celebrates Rucker?s service at retirement ceremony | The Indiana Lawyer

He authored this Pinner opinion, but so close to his actual retirement, I doubt he'll be able to author another one. He may already have some opinions near-complete, so there is a chance a few more will come out with him as the lead author, but I can't imagine it'll be very many.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Kinda sorta.

AND it is a constitutional right (A1.S32)

that's the "conflict" as (as I see it) that I mentioned elsewhere. As you note this is a strong case to do away w/ said conflict. cheers!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    AND it is a constitutional right (A1.S32)

that's the "conflict" as (as I see it) that I mentioned elsewhere. As you note this is a strong case to do away w/ said conflict. cheers!

Didn't the appeals court decision - now as-affirmed by the Indiana supreme court - state that mere possession of a handgun could not be assumed to be criminal, absent other evidence of criminality?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Didn't the appeals court decision - now as-affirmed by the Indiana supreme court - state that mere possession of a handgun could not be assumed to be criminal, absent other evidence of criminality?

It did, however, that opinion was vacated when the IN Supreme Court took the case, so it may as well have never happened. The later decision that we're discussing now, did, as you said, affirm it though. I've been looking all day to see Bloomie's Every Liberal Town and the Brady bunch both denounce this and call for blood in the streets and shootouts over parking places. Oddly enough, no matter how often they predict it, they never come back to crow about it happening. I did see that the Bradys put out their scorecard of the states with the "weakest" gun laws, and cited them as the places that made it easiest for a criminal to obtain a gun (including making a site that is ostensibly criminals advising criminals where the best "pickin's" may be had.) Strange that they show the actual crime rates in neither those states, nor the ones they tout as having "stronger" laws, that supposedly make it harder for a criminal to be armed.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I brought up our victory to an instructor at IvyTech tonight who is a career LE. He explained that he is a great writer and all he has to articulate is, "...suspect was acting suspiciously..." and VOILA! Pinner case law sidestepped.

How easy or difficult will this potential dodge work?

Doug

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I brought up our victory to an instructor at IvyTech tonight who is a career LE. He explained that he is a great writer and all he has to articulate is, "...suspect was acting suspiciously..." and VOILA! Pinner case law sidestepped.

How easy or difficult will this potential dodge work?

Doug

Didn't you ask him the obvious follow up... "so your plan is to lie your way to reasonable articulate suspicion?"

Top Bottom