• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So after July 1st, non residents can carry legally in Indiana?
    Yes, Provided they are not prohibited possessor, meet all the other requirements such as not history of drug alcohol abuse etc. pretty much the same if not exact standards of the current LTCH.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I think all the questions have already been answered, but:

1. Yes, any lawful individual can carry in Indiana as of 7/1/22.
    (lawful generally means not a federally prohibited person, aka felon, convicted domestic abuser, etc... But many states also require 21 or older.)
    2. Yes, any lawful individual can carry in Kentucky already.
    3. For all the Constitutional Carry states, other than North Dakota, any lawful individual can carry, regardless of their state of residence. For North Dakata, it only apples to ND residents (although they also do have wide reciprocity with other states as well.)
    4. Both Indiana and Kentucky allow open carry. They do not require "concealed" in their permitless carry statutes.
    5. 25 states have signed laws to become Constitutional Carry. So halfway there!
    6. Minimum age for permitless carry: 18 in Indiana, 21 in Kentucky

Ready answers to these and any other state or federal law question: CCW - 50 State Firearm Laws: for (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    Firearms matters. Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Specifies that certain persons who are not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a handgun are not required to obtain or possess a license or permit from the state to carry a handgun in Indiana. Prohibits certain individuals from knowingly or intentionally carrying a handgun. Creates the crime of "unlawful carrying of a handgun" and specifies the penalties for committing this crime. Allows particular individuals who do not meet the requirements to receive a handgun license and are not otherwise prohibited to carry a handgun in limited places. Allows a resident of Indiana to obtain in certain circumstances a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Makes theft of a firearm a Level 5 felony. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments and repeals obsolete provisions.

JMSnodgrass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2022
    Mar
    While the Permitless carry is a good thing I haven’t researched all the permitless carry states to see if they all extend their law to cover non residents (makes sense that they should but remember usually Attorneys write these things)

So while one is good with Kentucky I’d suggest still getting (or keeping if you don’t have a lifetime) the Indiana LTCH just for those other travels to other states you might do.
    My wife and I recently obtained our Indiana Concealed Carry permits even though we were pretty sure the Governor was going to sign the bill. Reason being we will be going to a full time RV life in the next year or so and plan on traveling around the country. If I understand it correctly, some states require a Concealed Carry permit from your home state before you are legally able to CC in their states, even though your state may be a constitutional carry state.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    My wife and I recently obtained our Indiana Concealed Carry permits even though we were pretty sure the Governor was going to sign the bill. Reason being we will be going to a full time RV life in the next year or so and plan on traveling around the country. If I understand it correctly, some states require a Concealed Carry permit from your home state before you are legally able to CC in their states, even though your state may be a constitutional carry state.
    Just a note: Indiana doesn't have a "concealed carry" permit. We have a "License to Carry Handgun". Manner of carry is not stipulated, and thus the license covers both concealed and open carry.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Firearms matters. Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Specifies that certain persons who are not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a handgun are not required to obtain or possess a license or permit from the state to carry a handgun in Indiana. Prohibits certain individuals from knowingly or intentionally carrying a handgun. Creates the crime of "unlawful carrying of a handgun" and specifies the penalties for committing this crime. Allows particular individuals who do not meet the requirements to receive a handgun license and are not otherwise prohibited to carry a handgun in limited places. Allows a resident of Indiana to obtain in certain circumstances a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Makes theft of a firearm a Level 5 felony. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments and repeals obsolete provisions.
    You might want to skim the 2022 Legislative Session thread. It will help follow how the legislation went from HB1127 to HEA1296.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    First post!
    Welcome to INGO!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    First welcome to INGO. Other than what Chip explained you have it pretty much correct. A few things, not all states recognize/honor the IN LTCH. CA/NY/and several others for instance. IL recognizes it but only while you are in your vehicle. You can only exit your vehicle with it for the express purpose of putting it in your trunk.
    Here is a pretty good website that will let you know what states do/don't and restrictions on carry.

You may also wish to check with RVing specific forums/websites. Some states consider them the same as a home and some don't. So it maybe legal to have them in the RV even if they don't honor the in LTCH, but I'm not positive.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hello!! Click forums, then introductions and greetings To introduce yourself to the group. Good bunch here with a lot of collective knowledge.

Top Bottom