Indiana Constitutional Carry - HB1022 (2018)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’ve been pessimistic about HB1022 even getting a hearing and Guy was too on tonight’s show...

I’m really getting sick of the same crap every Session.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I’ve been pessimistic about HB1022 even getting a hearing and Guy was too on tonight’s show...

I’m really getting sick of the same crap every Session.
    Guy was more positive on 1424 since Reps Wesco and Smaltz are the authors (Committee Chair and Vice Chair.) The bills are very, very similar. I found the House schedule, remaining committee hearings for this session will be on 24 Jan, 14 and 21 Feb.

The crap does get old, it shouldn't be this hard.

Longsh0t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2016
    Evansville
    I didnt read the entirety of both 1022 and 1424 but whats the difference between the two? I noticed that 1424 requires an id to be carried while carrying.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Something is going to happen on Constitutional Carry this Wednesday. The issue is that law enforcement representative groups coming out against it has spooked the herd and not enough elected officials want to be seen as bucking the opinion of law enforcement. I have it from a very good source that Lucas has NOT given up on this issue, but is just trying to navigate the ball forward behind the scenes in a minefield of legislators that don't think the same way about our gun rights as so many on this thread do.
    The nice thing is that Lucas will bring this issue up again next year if something doesn't get passed that truly resembles Constitutional Carry and with the NRA convention coming to Indianapolis, bringing with it an estimated 80,000 people in a non-election year and putting pressure on the legislature to "do something", this issue is far from over.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I didnt read the entirety of both 1022 and 1424 but whats the difference between the two? I noticed that 1424 requires an id to be carried while carrying.

Post #78 in this thread has my take on the differences.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    My understanding is one of these bills has a provision for a 5-year license instead of a 4-year and requires ISP to check Federal data bases? Further, that this gives us the ability to avoid NICS checks? My question is what is the impact on those of us who already have a lifetime LTCH? Will we also get the "benefit" of no NICS checks?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My understanding is one of these bills has a provision for a 5-year license instead of a 4-year and requires ISP to check Federal data bases? Further, that this gives us the ability to avoid NICS checks? My question is what is the impact on those of us who already have a lifetime LTCH? Will we also get the "benefit" of no NICS checks?
    Keep in mind there are multiple bills with ConC and other bills addressing issues such as 5 year LTCH, carry at worship service when church is also a school, LTCH=no NICS check, no fee 4 year license etc. if things blur that's okay. Hopefully we'll keep matriculating the ball down the field and have a better picture soon.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My understanding is that a lifetime license will never have the benefit of avoiding NICS checks. When the NICS check is done every 5 years for the license it meets the Federal rule.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    My understanding is that a lifetime license will never have the benefit of avoiding NICS checks. When the NICS check is done every 5 years for the license it meets the Federal rule.

It MAY meet the federal rule IF Congress and the President - get HR 38 passed ... that remains to be seen.

and there are 4 separate bills 2 house (HB1022, HB1424) and 2 in the senate ( SB237 - Has hearing WED 1/24 - and SB429) that make changes to the LTCH if passed.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HOT OFF THE PRESS!! HB 1424 is scheduled for a committee hearing 24 January at 0830. Room 156 B

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When I read the synopsis of 1424, it talks about a "resident" not being required to have a license to carry. Is it safe to assume this does not apply to non-residents...that non-residents would have to have a license or permit from their home state to carry in Indiana?

If so, does 1022 have that same requirement? And do other constitutional carry states allow non-residents to carry without a license?

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    When I read the synopsis of 1424, it talks about a "resident" not being required to have a license to carry. Is it safe to assume this does not apply to non-residents...that non-residents would have to have a license or permit from their home state to carry in Indiana?

If so, does 1022 have that same requirement? And do other constitutional carry states allow non-residents to carry without a license?

Some. Here's a slightly oudated breakdown. https://www.concealedcarry.com/reciprocity/constitutional-carry-state-by-state/

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Good catch GFGT. I was looking for the differences since 1424 is a page longer, I knew there had to be differences. Let me review, more to follow.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Good catch GFGT. I was looking for the differences since 1424 is a page longer, I knew there had to be differences. Let me review, more to follow.

This is from recollection -

Some states are "permitless" for non residents - some are not; requiring non residents to have "papers" -

At one time I thought (perhaps prev. incarnation of 1022 from Lucas) did not require papers for anyone in state; but also didn't remove recognition of them.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The reference 35-47-2-3 refers to the application process for LTCH. It looks like this is for establishing the minimum requirement to apply for an LTCH (or Reciprocity License) in Indiana.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

This was a strange one out of Utah:

Current Constitutional Carry Status:*Open Carry of handguns without a license is legal, Concealed Carry requires a permit.
    What the future holds:*Open carry of handguns without a permit is allowed as long as the handgun is at least 2 actions from being fired, for example, if those actions were, 1) rack the slide to chamber, and 2) pull the trigger.
    Open carry of a loaded handgun (e.g., a live round of ammunition in the firing chamber) is allowed with a permit.

Top Bottom