• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Right before you get to the railroad tracks heading east, towards Salem, on highway 60, there's a road on the right that takes you back towards Leipsic. (I don't remember the name). About midway between highway 60 and Leipsic, there's a small white building with a chain link fence around it...Reckon that's it?

That's what I always thought. It doesn't look like anything else around there, never has.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In the movie "Hoosiers", in one of the basketball scenes you can see the name of the opponents on the scoreboard. Oolitic, however you pronounce it, is a real town of about 1200 people.

Sure is. It's just about a mile or so north of Bedford...it's got a Dollar General store and everything. :D

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    In the movie "Hoosiers", in one of the basketball scenes you can see the name of the opponents on the scoreboard. Oolitic, however you pronounce it, is a real town of about 1200 people.

So is Terhune. They were worried about Jimmy ending up playing there. It's in Northeast Boone County.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, Carmel has me living in it, but I'm not sure if they'd call that out as a feature or a bug.

My brother was in David Letterman's class at Broad Ripple HS, and, like DL, worked at Atlas Supermarket. They were also in the same class at Ball State. His name is even Dave!

Family lore has it that my grandfather dated Marjorie Main (Ma Kettle) in high school.

Back in the dark ages, the phone company moved the big Indianapolis building around the corner, with no interruption of service. My mom was one of the people working there when they did it, and says you wouldn't have noticed.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    Corydon Indiana was the states first Capitol but a little known fact is that it was also the site of a civil war battle where local militia went to battle with confederate General John Hunt Morgan who made his famous northern raid. The battle location is preserved and has a cannon on site.

Mauckport, Indiana Morgans Raiders hijacked the Alice Dean and used it to cross the Ohio River from Brandenburg, KY to Mauckport, Indiana on their way to Corydon, Indiana. They set fire to and sunk the Alice Dean just off the banks of Mauckport. Mauckport is also the Place that Squire Boone (Danial Boone's brother) called home. Squire build a grist mill here and was buried in a small cave when he passed away. Some of his bones were accidentally dug up in the 70's by a tour guide working at Squire Boone Caverns. Those bones were placed in a walnut coffin build by a decedent that was still living in the area and that coffin was placed in the driest part of the main cavern where Squire gets visited by thousands of school children every year.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    William Fritz "sonnie" Afflis AKA DICK THE BRUISER was born and raised in my home town. was the kid every body picked on

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Mauckport, Indiana Morgans Raiders hijacked the Alice Dean and used it to cross the Ohio River from Brandenburg, KY to Mauckport, Indiana on their way to Corydon, Indiana. They set fire to and sunk the Alice Dean just off the banks of Mauckport. Mauckport is also the Place that Squire Boone (Danial Boone's brother) called home. Squire build a grist mill here and was buried in a small cave when he passed away. Some of his bones were accidentally dug up in the 70's by a tour guide working at Squire Boone Caverns. Those bones were placed in a walnut coffin build by a decedent that was still living in the area and that coffin was placed in the driest part of the main cavern where Squire gets visited by thousands of school children every year.

Morgan tore the heck out of a lot of little towns. Becks Mill was extorted as was Salem so they wouldn't burn the place down.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Peru "The circus city" has an all amateur circus every summer. Its ironic that the town is run by clowns. Home of Cole Porter.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Pine Village , Indiana had a football team from 1899 to 1919. They were undefeated 12 of those years. The team turned pro 1915 to 1919, and actually hired Jim Thorpe to play in an exhibition game against players from Purdue.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Woodburn - the smallest incorporated city in the state
    Did I hear someone say Woodbury?
    governor-eye-patch.jpg

While Woodburn was smaller than Cannelton at the 2010 census, growth rates now have Cannelton smaller than Woodburn by 34 people.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Scottsburg has a fortified restaurant. On the southwest corner of the square is a restaurant that was once used as a meeting house for various folks who didn't wish to be disturbed. There are murder holes in the ceiling and a hidden shotgun nest over the stairs leading to the second floor.

Top Bottom