In your opinon what is best 9mm jhp and what grain to carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Have started to carry a 9mm a lot . Carrying 147 gr Winchester SXT also got 115 gr Federal Hi-Shok (not Hydra's) due to real cheap for now and just wanted something else. What other type should I look at mostly only carried .40's and .45's 180 gr 230gr Hydra. Shocks and SXT 's . Is 147 gr to heavy for 9mm? I thought since it is a heavier bullet moving slower would have more force then a lighter faster one. Is this not right and what type of bulletis best for expansion? I know everyone has there opinion I want to hear some.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Federal HST (Hydra Shock Two).

I have 124gr, or 147gr, and some +P's.

I suspect 147gr +P is the ideal round, but don't want to start an argument about it. The bullet is larger, heavier, penetrates more, and expands more though.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I alternate between Cor Bon's and Gold Dots. Occasionally the newer version of Hydra Shocks. Generally use the 124-5 gr. Nothing wrong with the 147 gr, but I like a little more speed out a bullet that that round generates.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'm running some Hornady Critical Defense of the 124 gr variety I believe. I don't care as long as the gun functions with em. Plus I got a box free when I bought the glock...sooo...it was free to function check it :)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The 147 SXT is a good choice. I am of the opinion that bullet choice doesn't matter much.

The willingness and ability to keep shooting accurately until the threat is down is far more important.

Some agonize over equipment. I agonize over training, mindset, and tactics.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The 147 SXT is a good choice. I am of the opinion that bullet choice doesn't matter much.

The willingness and ability to keep shooting accurately until the threat is down is far more important.

Some agonize over equipment. I agonize over training, mindset, and tactics.

That's true. Any of the cartridges listed above will do massive damage--if you hit the target.

I buy HST, and SXT for $26 per 50 though, and the other brands cost that much for 25 rounds.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Whatever cycles and fires acurately out of your gun. With todays technology, there is not much difference in bullet performance. It's more about your ability to place shots on target. Besides, pistol rounds are not the most affective for SD to begin with.

lj98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Evansville
    I started with Winchester PDX1 147gr. However, after reading up a bit on expansion and penetration, I've started carrying Gold Dots 125 gr. APparently the PDX1 is not as reliable compared to Gold Dots.

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    If you can afford it buy a box of each brand and see what your gun likes and shoots the best. I did this with my Sig p226 9mm and it prefers the heavy 147 grain over the lighter loads. Gold dots were the best groupings.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Since I reload, I use several different brands. XTP for factory carry ammo, but I usually have to get 115 gr since I can't always find 124. Montana Gold 124 JHP for reloading. What I've read says that 124 is a good combination of velocity, penetration and expansion, and my 9s seem to do best with them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Right now I've got three little mags for my carry gun. One is loaded with hornady critical defense, another with hornady critical duty, another with hornady zombie. I'm going to see what shoots accurately this weekend and then buy the cheapest "good stuff" in bulk. Any 9mm is going to do the job if the holes get poked in the right places.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Federal HST (Hydra Shock Two).

I have 124gr, or 147gr, and some +P's.

I suspect 147gr +P is the ideal round, but don't want to start an argument about it. The bullet is larger, heavier, penetrates more, and expands more though.

Yeah, my vote is for 147gr HST also.

Honestly, only the SXTs are even close to the performance. So it's basically 1st place, 2nd place, and everyone else is so far behind it doesn't matter.

SXT is not exactly new, but it's the only one close to an HST. By comparison, it makes Gold Dots and Silvertips and Golden Sabers look pretty old.

Not like Hydra-shok old, but close. Darn hydr-shoks are obsolete, I can't believe they even sell them still!

JMO

Top Bottom