In your opinon what is best 9mm jhp and what grain to carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    For my students, I tend to recommend ammunition marketed for Law Enforcement use from a major manufacturer such as Speer, Federal or Winchester due to their stringent quality controls, and only after that ammunition has been thoroughly function tested in their guns.

You should test 100-200 rounds MINIMUM of the ammo you intend to carry in your defensive firearm using the magazines you intend to carry. That is the ONLY way to be sure it will function when you need it. Additionally, you should hand inspect every single cartridge that you will be carrying with you for primers and consistent bullet seating.

I have seen some terrible quality control from boutique ammo manufacturers that charge premium prices for what they advertise as self-defense ammunition.

I am currently carrying Federal HST 147gr. I do not consider it any better or worse than any of the other Law Enforcement offerings from the major manufacturers that meet FBI testing standards. Generally +P is only necessary if the standard pressure round will not expand reliably at the velocities provided from your sidearm (generally one with a short barrel).

Top Bottom