• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I've put this here as SCOUTUS decisions and numerous lawsuits cite various firearms are -- or are not -- in common use. They're much, much larger than many would imagine. Data compilations usually lag. The summary just released (2023) by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), an industry trade organization, has numbers up through two years ago, 2021. They reflect the leap that occurred when Biden won the election in November 2020.

Modern Sporting Rifle (MSR): Magazine fed semi-automatic rifles, which includes AR-15, AR-10, AK-47, AK-74, M1A, Mini-14, etc.; the vile evil "Assault Weapon".

MSR in circulation is derived from total 1990-2021 production numbers (produced minus known destroyed; doesn't include the ubiquitous "boating accidents")

Some important numbers as of 2021:
    • Total Firearms Owned by Civilians in U.S.: 473.2 Million
    • Total 2021 Domestic Production: 12,521,614 (up 28.6% from 2020; 5.6% of civilian ownership)
    • Total 1990-2021 Modern Sporting Rifles (MSR) in Civilian Circulation: 28,144,000 (up 15% from 2020 24.4M)
    • Total made available for sale in U.S. Market in 2021 (mfr. + import - export): 21,037,810 (all firearms)
      • Handguns: 12,799,067 (60.8%; overwhelms total long guns; unknown how many are AR/AK pistols)
      • Rifles: 4,832,198 (by my estimate, about 3/4 of them are MSR)
      • Shotguns: 3,406,545
    I found the total handgun production compared to total long guns much larger than I'd have imagined or estimated. The overwhelming rifle of choice now is the MSR. Any argument that MSR -- the evil "Assault Weapons" -- are not in common legal use is male bovine feces. That is why the gun grabbers are now insisting guns must be "in common use for self defense" counting only those that were actually used by someone for self-defense in defiance of SCOTUS decisions and their dicta.

Data was pulled from this January 2024 NSSF Press Release:
    https://www.nssf.org/articles/nssf-releases-most-recent-firearm-production-figures-2024/

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Does MSR include bolt action?
    No

From the NSSF that compiled the numbers I provided, it's a semi-automatic rifle, the action of which is operated to load the next round by blowback, recoil or gas.

This is the NSSF page explaining what a Modern Sporting Rifle (MSR) is.
    https://www.nssf.org/msr/

The first sentence on that page . . .
    "The term “modern sporting rifle,” aka MSR, was coined to describe today’s very popular semi-automatic rifle designs . . ."

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    They listed rifles, shotguns, and handguns, did they include "firearms" in those categories? No I'm not having a stroke, there is a category that's called "firearms" it includes stripped lowers, pistol grip only shotguns which federally speaking aren't shotguns or handguns, not sure about finished lowers with no upper but I believe it does, and some others.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    But the lard gut governor from illinois says 29,000 people registering their assualt weapons is a good percentage of those owning them. The 2,400,000 foid card holders actually own very few so AR's and AK's are not in common use in that state. Seems to me he is either a fat liar or as stupid as he is fat. Jim.

Or can the numbers be twisted to reflect that only 29k registered out of 2.4 million proves that they're not in common use? I never underestimate the ability of the left to pervert any number or word. They will not stop ... ever.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ok, but YOU have to ruck it, and it can't be a Lima.
    I was an M60 (not the E3) asst. gunner, then gunner so very long ago. Sure, the 240 is heavier, but 23#+ vs. 27#+ feels roughly similar after a few miles. I familiarized with the 240, but my unit did not have them when I was there. I was solidly a "pig" fan...but I was brought up by senior NCOs who still remembered 'Nam.

Oh- to be clear- the only way I'll carry an M60 these days is in the bed of my Ram. I'm content to not try to pretend I'm my 20 something self.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was an M60 (not the E3) asst. gunner, then gunner so very long ago. Sure, the 240 is heavier, but 23#+ vs. 27#+ feels roughly similar after a few miles. I familiarized with the 240, but my unit did not have them when I was there. I was solidly a "pig" fan...but I was brought up by senior NCOs who still remembered 'Nam.

Oh- to be clear- the only way I'll carry an M60 these days is in the bed of my Ram. I'm content to not try to pretend I'm my 20 something self.
    Humping the Pig.

Yeah if I had a 7.62 Beltfed MG it would go on the back of my bedless 92 3500HD. Id probably rig up a "gun truck" bed for it. It would go with the massive metal protective piece the previous owner put on the front it.

Ohh and I would change the buttstock and trigger out for the spade grips..

Yes I know the M2 is better, but I can afford to feed the M240...

Top Bottom