• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The citizens of indianapolis need to stand up and say enough is enough. Public safety needs to take the forefront of priority and the status quo/revolving door justice system need changed.

How do you recommend citizens do that? I'm sure many of us feel anger and dissapointment about what happened to this officer but are unsure what we can do to help. Are you talking about communities banding together to get rid of crime in their areas (not through force, obviously), or?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I would like to know what the murderer was previously convicted of? I have heard he was a felon, was this a violent felony? If so, perhaps torches and pitchforks in the street in front of the home or office of the judge who let him slide. I am not advocating violence. Just a simple and meaningful message that things will change, one way or another.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Have you ever used your plates on a call VUPD? Would it be helpful for all officers to have armor like this? I know armor would not have helped Officer Renn based on where he was hit (from what I have heard) or Officer Bradway. Is there a chance Renn or Bradway have put armor on based on the type of call they were responding to had they had it? Trying to understand the job better.

Would officers appreciate free armor if we could provide it?

I have a vest with 10x12 AR500 anti-spall plates that are level III that I keep in the trunk for SHTF. I have 8x10 AR500 level III anti-spall plates in my everyday armor carrier.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    I would like to know what the murderer was previously convicted of? I have heard he was a felon, was this a violent felony? If so, perhaps torches and pitchforks in the street in front of the home or office of the judge who let him slide. I am not advocating violence. Just a simple and meaningful message that things will change, one way or another.

I tried to find his priors in MyCase and only came up with a bunch of traffic stuff and a cannabis convictions, HOWEVER Suspect accused of killing IMPD officer had criminal history | WISH-TV states that he had multiple drug (marijuana, cocaine, cocaine dealing and methamphetamine charges) along with gun charges in at least two seperate instances.

Maybe somebody with IDACS access can chime in discreetly.

Also, I checked the IDOC Offender Database and found the bit his dad did for dealing cocaine, but nothing for the son. Did he get caught dealing cocaine and other drugs while possessing guns on multiple occasions and never did a day in DOC?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Have you ever used your plates on a call VUPD? Would it be helpful for all officers to have armor like this? I know armor would not have helped Officer Renn based on where he was hit (from what I have heard) or Officer Bradway. Is there a chance Renn or Bradway have put armor on based on the type of call they were responding to had they had it? Trying to understand the job better.

Would officers appreciate free armor if we could provide it?

Also, does their need to be public pressure to allow Officers to be in full battle rattle?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I tried to find his priors in MyCase and only came up with a bunch of traffic stuff and a cannabis convictions, HOWEVER Suspect accused of killing IMPD officer had criminal history | WISH-TV states that he had multiple drug (marijuana, cocaine, cocaine dealing and methamphetamine charges) along with gun charges in at least two seperate instances.

Maybe somebody with IDACS access can chime in discreetly.

Also, I checked the IDOC Offender Database and found the bit his dad did for dealing cocaine, but nothing for the son. Did he get caught dealing cocaine and other drugs while possessing guns on multiple occasions and never did a day in DOC?

I think he was a minor when some of that happened. The possession charge 8-11-08 looks to have been a criminal misdemeanor......but the link you provided said he was dealing.....which I would think would be a felony....unless he had plea deal to ditch the felony.

If you have a felony as a minor can you legally purchase a weapon as an adult?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Plates would not have helped Bradway. The bullet struck in an area that would not have been protected by plates, even side plates. Going on day-to-day runs, we do not possibly have the time it takes to pick and chose the armor. If there is a significant threat situation like an active shooter, then yeah, I'll throw on the plate carrier, but I will simply roll with what I'm wearing on 99.9% of runs.

Renn was struck at least once by a bullet that would have also missed a plate and, from what I have been told, that wound was not survivable in and of itself. We respond to probably a hundred shots-fired calls every day and most times we don't locate anything. A shots-fired call on July 4th (5th) would have been probably the billionth one that day alone so it is unlikely that officers would have donned additional armor even if they had it.

I don't think that material resources would have prevented what happened to Officer Renn or Officer Bradway unless each officer was wearing armor that covered 100% of his body. Both officers were struck and killed by bullets from the bad guy and both officers were able to return fire and strike the bad guy multiple times, killing him in Bradway's case. Our training is where it's at. We took fire, took hits, and returned fire, putting the bad guy down. Our officers fought like true warriors and used their training to it's fullest, even after sustaining mortal wounds. The software prevailed and more hardware would not have mattered.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    How do you recommend citizens do that? I'm sure many of us feel anger and dissapointment about what happened to this officer but are unsure what we can do to help. Are you talking about communities banding together to get rid of crime in their areas (not through force, obviously), or?
    60% of our shooting victims refuse to cooperate in their investigation. Neighbors, family, friends, passerby's refuse to be witnesses. No one wants to get involved yet they expect us to solve this without their help. We catch most of our burglars by neighbors calling 911 when they see someone they do not recognize at their neighbors house. Get involved. Know your neighbors. Call us if you see something you think is illegal. And if you do call 911, DO NOT remain anonymous!!! It is almost impossible to prosecute if the only witness to the crime does not want to get involved.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Plates would not have helped Bradway. The bullet struck in an area that would not have been protected by plates, even side plates. Going on day-to-day runs, we do not possibly have the time it takes to pick and chose the armor. If there is a significant threat situation like an active shooter, then yeah, I'll throw on the plate carrier, but I will simply roll with what I'm wearing on 99.9% of runs.

Renn was struck at least once by a bullet that would have also missed a plate and, from what I have been told, that wound was not survivable in and of itself. We respond to probably a hundred shots-fired calls every day and most times we don't locate anything. A shots-fired call on July 4th (5th) would have been probably the billionth one that day alone so it is unlikely that officers would have donned additional armor even if they had it.

I don't think that material resources would have prevented what happened to Officer Renn or Officer Bradway unless each officer was wearing armor that covered 100% of his body. Both officers were struck and killed by bullets from the bad guy and both officers were able to return fire and strike the bad guy multiple times, killing him in Bradway's case. Our training is where it's at. We took fire, took hits, and returned fire, putting the bad guy down. Our officers fought like true warriors and used their training to it's fullest, even after sustaining mortal wounds. The software prevailed and more hardware would not have mattered.

That's what I thought.On that day you have no idea if it's a guy firing his gun in the air to celebrate the 4th or if it's someone shooting at people.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    IndyDave1776;51458 The flip side of this is that most of the alternative efforts I see being made in the high crime areas are predestined to failure by virtue of the fact that a rule of law society and the thug culture cannot peacefully coexist.QUOTE said:
    Well said thank You.
    I perceive my city, Ft.Wayne, is beginning to take a antithug stance.
    Many thugs here are being forced out.

Thanks

Mark

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Also, does their need to be public pressure to allow Officers to be in full battle rattle?

Not in my opinion. We need to have the equipment available to us, but I don't need to wear it every second of every shift. I could understand the officers working the rougher areas wanting to wear it, but the area I work doesn't justify wearing it.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    IndyDave1776;51458 The flip side of this is that most of the alternative efforts I see being made in the high crime areas are predestined to failure by virtue of the fact that a rule of law society and the thug culture cannot peacefully coexist.QUOTE said:
    Well said thank You.
    I perceive my city, Ft.Wayne, is beginning to take a antithug stance.
    Many thugs here are being forced out.

Thanks

Mark

And they are coming straight down I69 to Indy.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Channel 8 can shrivel up and go away. But doubt they will. They will beat the drum for gun control and interview that idiot Davis who wants to charge transfer fees for private sales like all the other media has been doing in this town

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not in my opinion. We need to have the equipment available to us, but I don't need to wear it every second of every shift. I could understand the officers working the rougher areas wanting to wear it, but the area I work doesn't justify wearing it.

This. No one wants to wear it constantly, any more than we deploy rifles on every run. However there are times that such things ARE necessary, and knowing that the general public supports it would make the brass less likely to say things like we're scaring bystanders if we put on a helmet.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    This. No one wants to wear it constantly, any more than we deploy rifles on every run. However there are times that such things ARE necessary, and knowing that the general public supports it would make the brass less likely to say things like we're scaring bystanders if we put on a helmet.

The important thing is that it be at the Officer's discretion and not some brass or public affairs desk jockey

Top Bottom