• Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I agree but..........

Someone who's immature at 18's gonna be just as immature at 21. Hell, some people never mature.

When I grew up in New York State the drinking age was 18, I joined the service at 17, was stationed in Hawaii where the age was 20; could drink on base and in bars while cruising the Far East which seemed to have no drinking age. NYS raised it to 21 and has remained there. I was in the military and could not go into town and have a drink legally but could go to Vietnam and get shot at. I had a shotgun and a .222 at 16 but did not own a handgun until I moved to Indiana at the age of 42. Talk about unfair, a 20 year old not being allowed to buy his own lower on a scale of 1 to 10 is a zero as far as I am concerned.

I agree that there are 50 year olds that act like 10 and a rare 10 year old that acts 21. The problem is a few law breakers draw attention to themselves and become the poster child for anti-gun advocates or whatever the issue is at the time. It is kind of difficult to base a law on anyone under 50 who acts like 10 can't buy a lower but it is much easier based upon past practice to set a age limit of 21.

Indiana has some of the most liberal gun laws in the country and we should count our blessings.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    When I grew up in New York State the drinking age was 18, I joined the service at 17, was stationed in Hawaii where the age was 20; could drink on base and in bars while cruising the Far East which seemed to have no drinking age. NYS raised it to 21 and has remained there. I was in the military and could not go into town and have a drink legally but could go to Vietnam and get shot at. I had a shotgun and a .222 at 16 but did not own a handgun until I moved to Indiana at the age of 42. Talk about unfair, a 20 year old not being allowed to buy his own lower on a scale of 1 to 10 is a zero as far as I am concerned.

I agree that there are 50 year olds that act like 10 and a rare 10 year old that acts 21. The problem is a few law breakers draw attention to themselves and become the poster child for anti-gun advocates or whatever the issue is at the time. It is kind of difficult to base a law on anyone under 50 who acts like 10 can't buy a lower but it is much easier based upon past practice to set a age limit of 21.

Indiana has some of the most liberal gun laws in the country and we should count our blessings.

It's not Indiana's laws I'm talking about, it's the federal laws.

Also, it's not about being "unfair", it's about the government saying that certain groups are fine to own one deadly instrument at one age, but another at a higher age. It's about controlling people. Punishing a group for the actions of a select few (I'm not even sure there were a select few) is not what we should stand for. People are individuals, and should be restricted rights on an individual basis, losing them accordingly.

I for one am all for a single age of majority. For everything. 18 to drive, drink, buy ALL firearms, etc.

:twocents:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I find this interpretation to be puzzling.

The receiver of a weapon is the bit that is legally considered to be a firearm. So at the time it is sold, wouldn't an AR-15 receiver sold to an 18 year old by an FFL be a rifle?

At what point in the construction does the non-rifle receiver become a rifle? When it has a 16"+ barrel and an overall length of greater than 26"?

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I find this interpretation to be puzzling.

The receiver of a weapon is the bit that is legally considered to be a firearm. So at the time it is sold, wouldn't an AR-15 receiver sold to an 18 year old by an FFL be a rifle?

If it is marked "receiver", it isn't a shotgun or rifle, and therefore not exempt from the 21 year old age requirement set forth in the GCA. :n00b:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    If it is marked "receiver", it isn't a shotgun or rifle, and therefore not exempt from the 21 year old age requirement set forth in the GCA. :n00b:
    Thinking back to the first receiver I bought (when I was 18) ... hmm ... I know when the FFL called in the background check he called it a rifle. I don't recall what he wrote down on the 4473 or in his bound book. This was quite a few years ago.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Thinking back to the first receiver I bought (when I was 18) ... hmm ... I know when the FFL called in the background check he called it a rifle. I don't recall what he wrote down on the 4473 or in his bound book. This was quite a few years ago.

And I've bought receivers that way as recently as 6 months back. The problem is that the new 4473 has an area specifically for receivers, so when you call it in as a receiver, you have to be 21 :noway:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    And I've bought receivers that way as recently as 6 months back. The problem is that the new 4473 has an area specifically for receivers, so when you call it in as a receiver, you have to be 21 :noway:
    I see.

I still wonder what distinguishes a rifle receiver from a rifle.

Using an AR as an example:
    Let's start with the assumption that a stripped lower is considered a receiver. How would the following be classifed?
    An assembled lower ... with and without an attached stock
    A stripped lower with an attached stripped upper
    A stripped lower with an attached, fully built out 16"+ upper
    An assembled lower with an attached stripped upper ... with and without an attached stock

Going to be interesting to see how each one plays out.

StarKing

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Muncie

I got my first rifle when I was 9, most of my friends got them when they were 8. When I was 11 I was allowed to go shooting with another 11-year old, no adults. We went down to the river just outside the city limits to shoot about three times a week (we bought our ammo at the nearest drug store or hardware store, depending on which was cheaper). Around once a week one or more Deputies or Policemen were at our shooting spot when we arrived. They were so appalled at the arrival of two armed 11-year olds that they moved over to give us room to shoot (sometimes they said "Hi"). I got pulled over for running a stop sign at 16 while carrying my Dad's handgun (Open carry and unloaded) down to the river to shoot...Who's gun is that? What are you doing with it? Do you know you didn't come to a full stop at that intersection? Were the only questions asked. I got a verbal warning about the stop sign, and no further notice of the gun.
    Admittedly that was a few years ago...OK a few decades ago.
    Things sure have changed.

I agree with you about Indiana's comparatively liberal gun laws, but isn't it odd that liberal gun laws are something that the MSM version of "Liberals" absolutely hates?

Real liberals actually have functioning brains and actually favor liberal laws (I know, I am one), there is absolutely nothing liberal about MSM "Liberals". Unfortunately the label has been stolen by a bunch of arrogant, elitist, far-left totalitarian radicals (BHO, for example), and their knee-jerk followers, while the real liberals have been pushed aside.
    We're trying to fight our way back guys, but we need all the help we can get from moderates and conservatives, it's an uphill battle.

Sorry, that rant just kinda popped out.
    We do need your help though.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Ok so help me get my facts straight guys.
    1. It is legal for a person 18 or older to own a handgun
    2. It is illegal for a person below 21 to buy a handgun
    So what is the best and most responsible way for a person between 18 and 21 to obtain a handgun?
    It is ok to own one but not to buy one so that is almost hypocritical am I not right? I guess there is no sense owning one if you cant OC or CC anyways until you are 21. Guess I will be waiting 2 months til I hit that age. lol

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Ok so help me get my facts straight guys.
    1. It is legal for a person 18 or older to own a handgun
    2. It is illegal for a person below 21 to buy a handgun FROM AN FFL
    So what is the best and most responsible way for a person between 18 and 21 to obtain a handgun?
    It is ok to own one but not to buy one so that is almost hypocritical am I not right? I guess there is no sense owning one if you cant OC or CC anyways until you are 21. Guess I will be waiting 2 months til I hit that age. lol

I fixed it for you. You can buy from anyone other than an FFL, i.e. from a resident of Indiana. So, family, board members, guys at a gun show walking around, etc.

Just NOT from a federally licensed dealer.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have just been learned. Appreciate your K.I.S.S. method Techres. Now I want to buy one from someone off this site :) and then I will have to wait 2 months to get my LTCH permit. I'm looking forward to that more than I am looking forward to drinking a beer. (legally anyways) ;)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have just been learned. Appreciate your K.I.S.S. method Techres. Now I want to buy one from someone off this site :) and then I will have to wait 2 months to get my LTCH permit. I'm looking forward to that more than I am looking forward to drinking a beer. (legally anyways) ;)

Woops! I missed your other mistake. You can get an LTCH now. No reason to wait.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I guess our gun laws are better than I thought. You do only have to be 18 to get a LTCH. I love bein learned. (not to overuse it) Thanks Techres. I guess Im not the only one online this late. ( I work an evening shift til 8 pm)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I guess our gun laws are better than I thought. You do only have to be 18 to get a LTCH. I love bein learned. (not to overuse it) Thanks Techres. I guess Im not the only one online this late. ( I work an evening shift til 8 pm)

No problem. One piece of advice, if you get the permit it will be easier to buy a handgun from a individual seller. Many will want to see one as a way of proving you are a good guy (not all, but many). So I would say step one is to apply for your permit ASAP. Then start looking around.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    And to do that go to local sheriffs dept or PD right? How much is this gonna cost? I wonder if I need a license to wipe my own.......ok well you know what I mean.

Top Bottom