• ...and so much more!
  • Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Oh my. I don't know what went on here.

Anyways. Karl, since the lowers from the first GB won't be in until after this new law takes effect and I am only 18, I will need someone to come with me to fill out the paperwork, etc right?

Any volunteers to get a FREE NICS check around here? :): But seriously, if someone here was in on the first GB of AR lowers and wouldn't mind helping me out, shoot me a PM!:ar15:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    These posts are not really funny at all.

I can tell that you are young so I will give you this advice, don't screw with people that you don't know. At your age you feel invincable but if you keep it up you will come across someone that dosen't find it amusing like I do. Just keep it under control and enjoy your time on the forums...... we all make mistakes and as long as you learn from this experiance then it has been worth it. If you want to cuss at me I'm called an ass hole a lot so you can start there.... LOL

One big difference between me and a few gun owners is that I take gun ownership very serious; we are dealing with deadly weapons, not baseball cards. I get the feeling some people think all this is a big joke.

When we see silly posts written by some individual condoning straw purchases it is our responsibility to educate, not give high fives. We can have fun on this forum and argue our positions all day long but we also have to respect the law and protect the gun ownership we now enjoy in Indiana.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I don't see this as a joke but I have a lot of experiance with teenagers and what I was trying to do is defuse the situation.

If he sees that we are here to help him understand the laws and educate him on gun safety we have a better chance of reaching him, if not he becomes another "gun story" on the news.

Remember that if we don't try to show children how to act how will they learn?

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    This kid was already banned on xdtalk and now he is telling us he doesn't care if he is banned here? ok... someone flip the switch. you can lead a horse to water.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Did we ever get an answer to the question about private sales of handguns to 18-20 year olds. I see nothing different about it on the ATF web site and so assume that private sales, to 18-21 year olds who are otherwise legally able to own, are still legal. Did I miss something? Was the change only to FFL's as appears in the thread?

I ask because I may have such a transaction on the horizon.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    This kid was already banned on xdtalk and now he is telling us he doesn't care if he is banned here? ok... someone flip the switch. you can lead a horse to water.

Lets let the admins deal with him behing the scenes, he might come around.

Better we try to turn him then support him in jail..... it's the admins call and I'm behind any decision they make.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Still not clear to me

Did we ever get an answer to the question about private sales of handguns to 18-20 year olds. I see nothing different about it on the ATF web site and so assume that private sales, to 18-21 year olds who are otherwise legally able to own, are still legal. Did I miss something? Was the change only to FFL's as appears in the thread?

The only thing I know for sure is I, as an FFL Dealer cannot sell to those under the age of 21. I cannot find anything concerning citizen to citizen in my information so I would suggest you call the local ATF Bureau in Indy and get a clearification before doing the sale; better safe than sorry.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The only thing I know for sure is I, as an FFL Dealer cannot sell to those under the age of 21. I cannot find anything concerning citizen to citizen in my information so I would suggest you call the local ATF Bureau in Indy and get a clearification before doing the sale; better safe than sorry.

See once again trying to help :+1:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

100% legal, the IC says you must be 18 or older to purchase a handgun FTF, and the ATF only talks about dealers. I'll find the IC, just gonna take a second, I don't have the stuff bookmarked on this comp.

The Brady Bunch is actually helpful on this one lol Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

ETA:
    IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.
    (b) It is unlawful for a person to sell, give, or in any manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun to another person who the person has reasonable cause to believe:
    (1) has been:
    (A) convicted of a felony; or
    (B) adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person seeking to obtain ownership or possession of the handgun is less than twenty-three (23) years of age;
    (2) is a drug abuser;
    (3) is an alcohol abuser; or
    (4) is mentally incompetent.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.33-1989, SEC.126; P.L.140-1994, SEC.8; P.L.269-1995, SEC.7.

Last edited:

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    ok, well at least he cleaned up his language a page or two back.

Lets let the admins deal with him behing the scenes, he might come around.

Better we try to turn him then support him in jail..... it's the admins call and I'm behind any decision they make.

StarKing

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Muncie
    Yes, bona fide gifts are different, I should've been clearer. I was just referring to purchasing a firearm with another person's money, for that person, while you fill out the 4473.:patriot:
    Wait wait!
    Do I mark it "yes", because I'm buying it for me as a gift for someone else, or "no" and do something else to make it legal? It's been a while since I filled one of those out.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It is a good idea to keep these things out of the hands of an 18 year old, you know, like a Marine! You can be trusted with a SAW, but not a stripped receiver.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It is a good idea to keep these things out of the hands of an 18 year old, you know, like a Marine! You can be trusted with a SAW, but not a stripped receiver.

Forget a SAW, or a Marine for that matter, try a teen with a 1-2 ton battering ram flying down the road while texting or chatting on the phone and driving as a second thought!

You let them drive, you let them reproduce, might as well let them....

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Good Point

It is a good idea to keep these things out of the hands of an 18 year old, you know, like a Marine! You can be trusted with a SAW, but not a stripped receiver.[/quote

The difference is if you are in the service and issued a gun hopefully you have developed some maturity by then and have extensive training in how to safely handle a firearm. Also I doubt a 18 year old active duty serviceman is out trading firearms to his buddies. The law is the law and if we don't like the law we need to try to get it changed; ignoring it should not be an option.

The reason so many states with a 18 YO drinking age changed it to 21 is because of abuse and lack of maturity; could this be the reason the gun law is changing for under 21 folks?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The difference is if you are in the service and issued a gun hopefully you have developed some maturity by then and have extensive training in how to safely handle a firearm. Also I doubt a 18 year old active duty serviceman is out trading firearms to his buddies. The law is the law and if we don't like the law we need to try to get it changed; ignoring it should not be an option.

The reason so many states with a 18 YO drinking age changed it to 21 is because of abuse and lack of maturity; could this be the reason the gun law is changing for under 21 folks?

I fully agree that the law is the law and needs to be observed. But I see this as one more small attempt by the BATF to add another restriction where they can, specifically on black rifles. Really all this pertains to in practice is AR lowers. And the restriction exists only because they "might" be used to make a pistol. Could not the person bent on breaking the law go and buy a full AR and make a pistol? Sure they would be breaking the law, but they are in the other case as well. It really makes no real sense other than - they could do it so they did.

Additionally, if you cannot trust an 18 year old with a handgun, you surely cannot trust them with a shotgun.

I understand the law, and will fully obey it, but I see no practical purpose in it either.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    The few screw it up for the majority of under 21 folks

Sure they would be breaking the law, but they are in the other case as well. It really makes no real sense other than - they could do it so they did.

Additionally, if you cannot trust an 18 year old with a handgun, you surely cannot trust them with a shotgun.

I understand the law, and will fully obey it, but I see no practical purpose in it either.

You hit the nail right on the head, enough young people have been breaking the law that it probably triggered this change. It is unfortunate that the law abiding under 21 person has to suffer for the few misfits that always screw things up for the rest. It happens throughout our lives, not just with our guns. Peer pressure might help but that is something I rarely see, especially on forums like this.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

First of all, Techres has it 100% IMO

Now, the reason for the drinking age changing was because the federal government will cease all federal money for roadways to states that lower the age below 21, nothing to do with maturity, just another way to control a group of people. Louisiana lowered it for a bit, but they couldn't keep up with the money lost from the fed gov.

Having the gov arbitrarily set different ages does nothing to help. Someone who's immature at 18's gonna be just as immature at 21. Hell, some people never mature.

Psy_6att_6ica_6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    idaho
    so does that law pertain to having already bought the full length shotgun, but then do your own customization to it. say puting on a pistol grip top folding stock.

Top Bottom