• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would the U.S. be better off without a centralized goverment?

• Yes

Votes: 23 39.7%
    • No

Votes: 24 41.4%
    • Bacon

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Reading another thread I started wondering...

If the U.S. federal government crumbled and gave power back to the states. What would happen? Would we still be a nation, or a union based on alliances? Would states start fighting? would borders change? Would we be better off or worse off? How long would it take for things to settle and return to a new "normal"?

I personally think most Americans would be better off, but I don't have a clear argument as to why other than, smaller gov't =mo betta

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I vote yes but only for a short period of time. I don't think there would be disputes over borders or fighting (literal violence) between the states but who knows.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am sure their would be fighting, and in short time. The states that have been subsidized year after year with federal taxpayer dollars will be in desperate circumstances pretty quick.

On the other hand, lack of being able to cry to the feds when your policies are in error, as seen in San Francisco for example, may force the State level leaders to act with a little more wisdom.

I would like to think the national security of a unified defense of our borders would be lost, but the people making slo mo joe dance have already destroyed that.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I voted yes, but there is a caveat. There would need to be a quick set of alliances between most of the states to retain the military and border control.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I think states would form alliances with other states sharing either geographic regionality or ideology and preferably both. I wrote a short story about what a post-united America might look at using several factors to predict potential alliances. Presuming little ideological shifts, multiple smaller alliances would probably merge into two or three larger alliances and you'd basically end up with Red and Blue Americas such as we could anticipate based on any recent presidential election outcome map.

On a more nuanced level though, after the initial dissolution several things would probably occur that effect the outcome. As Leo pointed out, states that cannot balance their budget and overly rely on federal subsidies would be forced to reevaluate their entire state economy and as that pertains to interstate trade could likely impact key commodities significantly for all of us. Also, borders probably would begin to shift because there's a lot of bordering districts which would rather split from their state. Think E. Washington state, W. Pennsylvania, most of Illinois from Chicago, etc. Of course if that district is also rich economically or in resources the state will fight to keep it even if it doesn't conform to their ideology. And finally, again citing Leo, the reality of bad policies and no safety net would probably be the tonic necessary to cleanse those toxic districts of their progressivism.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    When we had a weak central government in the past (think Articles of Confederation and early Constitution times), we had numerous problems with international relationships (War of 1812, Barbary pirates, quasi-war with France, etc.). The stakes are much higher now - Russia, China, Iran, etc. We also had money issues - either not enough to meet international challenges, or locally-issued currency that was not accepted everywhere.

So I'm more supportive to cutting the feds back to their bare minimum than eliminating them. No idea how, though.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Reading another thread I started wondering...

If the U.S. federal government crumbled and gave power back to the states. What would happen? Would we still be a nation, or a union based on alliances? Would states start fighting? would borders change? Would we be better off or worse off? How long would it take for things to settle and return to a new "normal"?

I personally think most Americans would be better off, but I don't have a clear argument as to why other than, smaller gov't =mo betta
    It would all depend on whether commerce continued, uninterrupted, and what kind of whackos took the reins of power in each state.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Ok, so who's first to step up and give up their Medicare and Social Security, when it's used to pay down _secured_ debts?

Dissolved means dissolved.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    No, the states should just forcefully restrict it back to the original limits of the Constitution. You might be able to do this by cutting off the federal funding and starve them out.
    If everyone stopped sending in Federal tax money the Federal Government would be broke in short order, all they could do is print worthless money similar to what their doing now.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    No, the states should just forcefully restrict it back to the original limits of the Constitution. You might be able to do this by cutting off the federal funding and starve them out.
    If everyone stopped sending in Federal tax money the Federal Government would be broke in short order, all they could do is print worthless money similar to what their doing now.
    They are already broke and printing as fast as they can. We are likely at the point between the firing and the impact. That projectile won't stay in the air forever.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Leadership give up power without some sort of struggle? A rare thing indeed, but there is the example of Cincinnatus.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    The one thing I would be most concerned about is our ability to defend the country against foreign enemies while at the same time destroying domestic enemies.
    They want to take away our self defence weapons because they don't have any except for hired guns and without money they cannot pay them.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    God it would be amazing if the federal government just...went away.

It would be a wonderful ten minutes.

Because that's how long it would take some damn fools to build a new one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    New threads on INGO:

1) Kentuckians swimming the river and taking our jobs
    2) Why can't we buy oranges in December?
    3) Anybody know how to learn Mandarin fast?
    4) My car was stolen and taken to Illinois, but they won't extradite
    5) Time to decentralize the government and give the power back to the counties?
    6) Volunteers to give up SSI/Medicare/Veteran's Benefits (short thread)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    New threads on INGO:

1) Kentuckians swimming the river and taking our jobs
    2) Why can't we buy oranges in December?
    3) Anybody know how to learn Mandarin fast?
    4) My car was stolen and taken to Illinois, but they won't extradite
    5) Time to decentralize the government and give the power back to the counties?
    6) Volunteers to give up SSI/Medicare/Veteran's Benefits (short thread)

Plain silly

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Ok, so who's first to step up and give up their Medicare and Social Security, when it's used to pay down _secured_ debts?

✋

I've been planning my retirement on the presumption that SS will be bankrupt by the time I'm eligible or they'll keep raising the eligibility age just out of reach. And Medicare seems to me like it is just Obamacare for seniors even before there was Obamacare... Health insurance you're required to buy whether you want it or not because they need full buy-in to fund the increased expenses. That's the very definition of a Ponzi scheme!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Call it a Ponzi/pyramid scheme if you like but we (CKW and myself) have paid into this mess since we were 14 and went to work. For me that's 48 years. For CKW it is a bit less. After we lost most all of our Retirment savings in 08 SS and my retirement from the Plumbers/steamfitters has become the anchor in our existence. The Medicare is keeping both of us alive presently. They have dropped a cool $450K on me since June 21 and CKW's last cycle through the hospital system was north of $1Mill.

So, what would we do? Die, I guess.

I am for eliminating all the alphabet agencies and the bureaucracy's that make our lives miserable. Put this back to a republic. Ha, lots of luck.
    Clean house and start from scratch with term limits in place for all elected officials. All of them except the freshmen and they get 1 more term/bite at the apple.
    Eliminate the ungodly war chests these asshats keep maintaining office and stop the money men. The lobbyists.
    God I could go on, but I guess I need to gird my loins for the fall out from this post.

Top Bottom