• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    It's possible, but I don't think you have to worry.
    Look at it from the Leo's point of view....why hassle you over 20 gallons when he could nail a semi with maybe 250.

Kinda the same with speeding tickets. What could hang you up for maybe $75 can cost a trucker $800.

If you are commercial/CDL they can look at whatever they want, whenever they want.
    What I'm trying to say is that non commercial non CDL 78000+ farm trucks are subject to the same inspections in a DOT stop, so it's not the commercial/for hire part that triggers the law, that's all.

I think they've laid off the pickup trucks to some degree but they were sure after them 15-20 years ago when diesel pickups really hit the market.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    17e6f57308b3d1380b39252f3ab6fe95.jpg

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Sounds ridiculous but thats just one end of the 2nd hand market. 5 or 6 years ago I picked up a spaz 12ga for $700 in excellent condition at a estate sell. When people dont k ow what they have they tend to price high but sometimes they under price or at least can be talked down.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What I'm trying to say is that non commercial non CDL 78000+ farm trucks are subject to the same inspections in a DOT stop, so it's not the commercial/for hire part that triggers the law, that's all.

I think they've laid off the pickup trucks to some degree but they were sure after them 15-20 years ago when diesel pickups really hit the market.
    I have only seen a strait tank stick being used in Tractor trailer tanks. It would have to be a flexible tool to check most pickup tanks. On my 7.3 one would just have to briefly open the dump valve on the fuel filter bowl to see what fuel I was running.
    In most cases it would be an expensive afternoon for me. #CaughtRedHanded

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Sounds ridiculous but thats just one end of the 2nd hand market. 5 or 6 years ago I picked up a spaz 12ga for $700 in excellent condition at a estate sell. When people dont k ow what they have they tend to price high but sometimes they under price or at least can be talked down.
    I got mine from da mouse.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I have only seen a strait tank stick being used in Tractor trailer tanks. It would have to be a flexible tool to check most pickup tanks. On my 7.3 one would just have to briefly open the dump valve on the fuel filter bowl to see what fuel I was running.
    In most cases it would be an expensive afternoon for me. #CaughtRedHanded
    Right there with ya, no doubt.

Unless your a fed, in that case I’m just continuing to bait you.

But we are really careful in the big trucks, always on road.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Know I know who to thank for that one time I had to confirm my purchase when getting diesel.

We usually purchase at the co op because you can get off road diesel there is no difference other than it is red. Usually 40 to 60 cents cheaper a gallon. Because it’s tax exempt. No reason to pay road taxes on something that does not leave the property. We have a 100 gallon tank in the back of one of our 250’s

This thread has lots of twists and turns... For off-road diesel, can you just show up at a service station that offers it and pump it into a 5-gallon can? Or do you need some sort of special authorization / membership? Per https://cnrgfleet.com/find-off-road-diesel-locations/, there is a service station in Bloomington that offers it. It looks like I could save up to $.65 / gal on diesel for my compact tractor...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    This thread has lots of twists and turns... For off-road diesel, can you just show up at a service station that offers it and pump it into a 5-gallon can? Or do you need some sort of special authorization / membership? Per https://cnrgfleet.com/find-off-road-diesel-locations/, there is a service station in Bloomington that offers it. It looks like I could save up to $.65 / gal on diesel for my compact tractor...
    Pump away.
    No permits needed. But I bet you gave them (whoever them is) a good idea.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Unfortunately, this is probably becoming the state of firearms post covid. When I first got into guns, I remember people always mentioning how they could get crates of Mosins and SKS's for crazy prices. People were saying you could buy a Mosin for $75 and an SKS for $89.

I think now I'll be in the generation saying "I remember when I could get a box of 50 9mm for $8.99!"

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I think now I'll be in the generation saying "I remember when I could get a box of 50 9mm for $8.99!"

That was only about 3 years ago. Prices have come down, and you can sometimes find it for $11.99 now (which is a huge improvement over last 2 years). But you're right that they're unlikely to ever get down to $9. The one I'll always be thinking about is "I remember when I could get a brick of .22 for $15".

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Right after I got home from wearing a tree suit for 4 years, ( circa 1981) I bought a Mossberg model 144 with a benchrest stock, a nice leather sling, and a Burris 3x9x40 scope for $50.
    It may well be one of the most accurate rifles I own.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I once attended an auction in which two guys got into a bidding dual for a German WWII PPK pistol. It went for something like $800 or so, I don't remember the exact amount. The thing that made it memorable was that it was a pot-metal copy clearly marked "Made in Japan."

The same auction had a bunch of fake Nazi daggers that sold for ridiculous money. The wood grips didn't come close to fitting properly, I was sitting there wondering who could look at those things and actually believe they were made in Germany.

The flip-side was that I got an Austrian M95 rifle in near new condition, never rebuilt, for next to nothing, and somebody else walked out with a Polish Radom pistol for half what it was worth. Auctions make no sense.

I don't recall if any redheads were involved.

Top Bottom