I wonder what will happen to ammo prices....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Random_71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Fort Wayne

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I wonder how much validity there is to this.

No loss to me I prefer 69-77gr match bullets or good Ole Speer 75gr Gold Dot bullets.

M193 can be mimicked easy enough.
    For M855 just go with the 69gr or higher bullets for deeper penetration. Heavier bullets penetrate much better.

There are other companies besides Winchester to buy m855 and ss109 from.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No loss to me I prefer 69-77gr match bullets or good Ole Speer 75gr Gold Dot bullets.

For M855 just go with the 69gr or higher bullets for deeper penetration. Heavier bullets penetrate much better.

The article said they are nearly 1/3 of all 5.56, so that demand will move on to your preferred ammo when theirs runs out…

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The article said they are nearly 1/3 of all 5.56, so that demand will move on to your preferred ammo when theirs runs out…
    I reload my 5.56x45mm. Very rarely do I shoot bought ammo. I just don't like the accuracy from military rounds. I'm sure someone will step up to meet demand eventually.
    Remember some voted for this.
    It's going to take a big win this November to stop all this nonsense if we get a majority leader that has a backbone, and is aggressive in undoing the damage over the last 2 years, and to stop Biden and the DNC from totally destroying the country in his last 2 years of his term.

Edit:
    If 30% less 5.56x45mm is made that means 30% more SR primers to be sold.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Does this mean that Lake City is going to produce less? Or is the military going to stockpile more? I'm sure the contract for Winchester to run that plant for the government specifies how much they need to produce and that excess production can be sold on the open market. Typically in government contracts, any variance in quantities in excess of 10% (+ or -) of that specified needs to be negotiated.

Not sure I would want to be the contracting officer negotiating that change order.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009

Its a loss to other people though. Other companies can only step up so much.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Guys they will probably manufacture M193 instead of the M855/SS109. Or maybe they will make a bunch of 75-77gr FMJBT for the same cost.

Once you all see the difference in the heavier bullets in accuracy you my never go back. If you buy it, it runs around $20 a box of 20.
    So if you do shoot what I shoot and don't reload you are going to spend twice as much. Unless they make the heavier bullets standard civilian ammo which is actually a plus.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    Juuuust when 5.56 was starting to slowly creep down below .50/round, we get this crap.

That's okay, I didnt want to shoot anyway. Guess I'll go grab another case....

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's going to take a big win this November to stop all this nonsense if we get a majority leader that has a backbone, and is aggressive in undoing the damage over the last 2 years, and to stop Biden and the DNC from totally destroying the country in his last 2 years of his term.

I don't have all the confidence in the world that truth and justice are going to be a big part of Novembers elections. If you haven't seen the movie "2000 Mules" yet you should.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Ultimately, this will drive prices up across the board. Yes more primers will be available, but other manufactures will gobble those up without hesitation to produce other factory ammo. As much as I like my Dillon 550B, the manufacturers are going to be running millions of primers through their giant machines before my little press gets to see them.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Sure it will raise prices. Lake City is a large and efficient manufacturing facility. If nothing else the change would cause disruptions.

I think the average democratic voter is clueless on guns but most would agree that if we have gun owners they should be well trained. This move will reduce training by making it more expensive. It will also hit lower income gun owners the hardest. Shooting common firearms should not be a rich mans pursuit.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I don't have all the confidence in the world that truth and justice are going to be a big part of Novembers elections. If you haven't seen the movie "2000 Mules" yet you should.
    Agree. I've observed that facts, economic rules and the concept of credibility simply don't matter much.
    Vote for who makes you feel good.
    I'll check out 2000 Mules.

Top Bottom