• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just got back from another failed attempt at voting. Couldn't even find a parking spot in the surrounding neighborhood by the Perry Township site. DoggyMama isn't up to walking a mile and then standing in line for another 3 or 4 hours. We'll just have to keep trying. I'm just amazed that so many people are out in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day! I took a half day vacation time but I wonder how many others have done the same.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just got back from another failed attempt at voting. Couldn't even find a parking spot in the surrounding neighborhood by the Perry Township site. DoggyMama isn't up to walking a mile and then standing in line for another 3 or 4 hours. We'll just have to keep trying. I'm just amazed that so many people are out in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day! I took a half day vacation time but I wonder how many others have done the same.
    The dead in Cook County never have a problem voting. Keep at it DD!!

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis

I have voted in every general election since Clinton 1...I have NEVER seen anything like this.

The lines are longer than they would normally be due to social distancing, but the parking lots tell the story...I have NEVER had a problem finding a place to park before this election. Yesterday when I took my neighbor down to Krannert Park we parked in the grass...I don't think we were supposed to.

I work Saturdays, so I get a weekday off every week to make up for it. I talked to the people in line a bit yesterday, and the two people behind us both took the day off work to vote and the lady in front of us was retired and afraid of the lines on election day.

It really looks like people are inspired to vote this year. Regardless of those people's politics, it makes me feel good to see people engage with the system.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The dead in Cook County never have a problem voting. Keep at it DD!!

Oh we will for sure! I just wish they opened up the early voting sites at 6 a.m. like on election day. That's when I usually go.

I have voted in every general election since Clinton 1...I have NEVER seen anything like this.

The lines are longer than they would normally be due to social distancing, but the parking lots tell the story...I have NEVER had a problem finding a place to park before this election. Yesterday when I took my neighbor down to Krannert Park we parked in the grass...I don't think we were supposed to.

I work Saturdays, so I get a weekday off every week to make up for it. I talked to the people in line a bit yesterday, and the two people behind us both took the day off work to vote and the lady in front of us was retired and afraid of the lines on election day.

It really looks like people are inspired to vote this year. Regardless of those people's politics, it makes me feel good to see people engage with the system.

I'm betting that on November 3rd, the lines won't be nearly as bad because they'll have all the polling locations open, plus with this many people voting early, and also mail-in ballots, there can't be that many people left to vote! :): It truly is amazing for sure. I wonder how many people got out today because it's supposed to rain about all day tomorrow too. That may have bumped it up some. I'm off Friday so we'll probably try again then if not tomorrow.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    New Palestine library open the polls at 2pm. I got there at 1:30pm today and was 10th in line. By 2pm there were probably 50 people behind me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Looking at the voting times website, the Perry Township location has the longest wait times in the county, by a long shot. That surprises me a little too. Going by the yard signs down here, that gives me hope that most of them are Trump voters. :)

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

I voted this morning in Elkhart at the Health Dept building. Got there at 7:50 was in my truck pulling out at 8:30.
    I was probably 20-25th person in line when I got there. The bottle neck at his place was three people checking ID’s and twelve voting booths.
    There were six open booths at anytime due to the slow checking process.

Probably at least 3-4 people walking around not doing much that could have helped with the throughput if they opened up another checking station.

I saw one elderly lady walking up to the building as I was leaving with a webbed lawn chair. She was just making sure she was prepared.

I love to see the participation from all the people getting out in the cold to cast their vote.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have never voted early until today and am glad it's over.

I went to one of Marion County early locations and thought I'd get here early and be out early. HUH.... hey opened at 11am and I got there at 11:35 and i was a nightmare. Go into line because a line walker said it would go fast. 1 hour passes, 2 hour passes and were maybe half way. Now I don' want to stop after spending 2 hours in the cold and damp. After abut 2.5 hours, things slowed down but I remained determined. 3 hours pass and go, thinking it's gotta speed up soon.....4 hours is quickly arriving and we're close to the front door only to realize there is another maze. After finally making it very close, the lady pokes out and says there will be a short delay because they need to clean the machines.....again. After just over 4.5 hours, I get o vote!

While I am waiting to walk in, I see a sign at he entrance to the voting hall; a Biden/Harris sign. Now I think to myself, that is wrong, possibly illegal. The lady comes by to direct me where to go and i ask, should that be here? She replied no so I old her I would care of it and moved it out of sight. Earlier I saw many people holding small yard signs (biden/harris) and walking into he polling place. hey had rows of the same signs within 5 feet of the door. Y'all are pretty relaxed about some things here in Indiana.....

nkCAQYO.jpg

That is electioneering, and yes, it is illegal.

If it were my polling place and I were the election judge, I'd have that clamped down. (I've had to do it in the past - usually when the volunteers get inside the allowed perimeter, or when voters unknowingly wear paraphernalia supporting a candidate or ballot issue).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Well...

I hate to say it but this could be legal. It is NOT "election day" folks, so.... there may be a backdoor/loophole for signs anywhere.

Early voting could me the rules don't apply.

I AM NOT SUPPORTING this idea, only observing.

Regards,

Doug

Polling places are only open on election days. Any day a polling place is open and voters are casting votes is an election day.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Heard something on the news this morning (WTHR) about Marion County's problems. Hamilton County has ~250K registered voters and 8 early voting sites. Marion County has ~600K registered voters but only 5 early voting sites. The number of sites is decided upon by the county election board. :xmad:

What?!? A democrat-run county suppressing voting activity? Say it ain't so!

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Well, judging from the lines, they aren't suppressing it, only slowing it down and making it inconvenient.

Apparently you don't pay attention to when there are long lines in various cities at every other election. That is voter suppression apparently. :crying:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sounds like every other constitutional right these days.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and just say that they were caught flat-footed on this one. Clearly other counties got it right judging from the reports here on INGO of people getting in and out in half an hour or less. Granted those counties aren't as heavily populated, but that should have been taken into account in Marion County.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just heard on WTHR that they're going to open Lucas Oil Stadium for early voting this weekend. Might be too little too late at this point, but maybe it will help.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    New Palestine library open the polls at 2pm. I got there at 1:30pm today and was 10th in line. By 2pm there were probably 50 people behind me.

I rolled past the Greenfield library yesterday around 1:50p and the line was out to the road so I went to O'Reilly auto parts for 30min and then went back got in line, voted, and was home by 3p.

Top Bottom