• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't understand the thought process on early voting. Why not simply open the normal polling places a day or two early? Start on 11-1 and finish on 11-3. Why the single day events in very limited numbers? We choose not to vote early as there were no early locations close to us. On election day we have three polling locations within a few miles of the house. I plan to simply drive the loop and stop at the first one that doesn't have a mile of people waiting.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I don't understand the thought process on early voting. Why not simply open the normal polling places a day or two early? Start on 11-1 and finish on 11-3. Why the single day events in very limited numbers? We choose not to vote early as there were no early locations close to us. On election day we have three polling locations within a few miles of the house. I plan to simply drive the loop and stop at the first one that doesn't have a mile of people waiting.

As a single father who has their kid on election day, I am very thankful for early voting. When you work 6:30-5 and have to take your kid to school and pick them up, it pretty much leaves no time for voting during normal hours. In our area you also can only vote at 1 location on election day, no driving around looking for the shortest line.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As a single father who has their kid on election day, I am very thankful for early voting. When you work 6:30-5 and have to take your kid to school and pick them up, it pretty much leaves no time for voting during normal hours. In our area you also can only vote at 1 location on election day, no driving around looking for the shortest line.
    Don't get me wrong, anticipating high turnout and enabling early voting makes sense, but the implementation doesn't.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I don't think this is right, is it? I thought they changed that recently so that you could go to any site in your county? At least that's what they did for the primaries IIRC.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Interesting......

However, this year, will there be an “Election Day”? I see we will have many many voting days, but does the term “Election Day” actually exist in 2020? After all, we will not know who won the election for weeks maybe months?

I think it could be fought and won; this is an open example of illegal electioneering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could honestly see this going both ways. If we use the "plain text / original" approach then election day is the 1st Tuesday of November - period.

If we go with a more "progressive / intent" approach then election day might be interpreted by any day someone goes to the polls to vote.

So are we plain text or intent?

Regards,

Doug

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I don't think this is right, is it? I thought they changed that recently so that you could go to any site in your county? At least that's what they did for the primaries IIRC.

Yes, you can go to any location in Marion County. They are all working off of a centralized voter list rather than having a book at a single site.

That said, lines are still heavily influenced by how many locations are available and where they are placed. If they significantly cut down the number of polling places because of mail-in voting and early voting, then you may still have long lines (and social distancing will make them look far scarier).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes, you can go to any location in Marion County. They are all working off of a centralized voter list rather than having a book at a single site.

That said, lines are still heavily influenced by how many locations are available and where they are placed. If they significantly cut down the number of polling places because of mail-in voting and early voting, then you may still have long lines (and social distancing will make them look far scarier).

I think I heard that on election day proper, that there would be (I think) 150 sites open. Still down from the usual 200 or so we've had in the past, but better than it was for the primary. I know there have always been fewer early voting sites, but they really should have anticipated this better given the circumstances this year.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I took an elderly neighbor down to Krannert Park today for early voting.

He told me his grandson had got called into to work today, and said he specifically asked me to take him because of the Biden/Harris sign in my yard...how could I say no? We waited for an hour and a half outside and he was inside about a half an hour. When he got back out he was smiling ear-to-ear as he told me he had cast his ballot for Trump.

Straight-up ornery, that one.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Marion County was that way historically, but it has changed as of this election.

https://vote.indy.gov/vote-centers/

About IndyVotes
    On November 3, Marion County will hold its Presidential Election. Thanks to new technology, voters can now choose any Vote Center in Marion County for a faster, easier, and secure voting experience.

IndyVotes Faster
    The traditional printed poll book has been replaced by a simple-to-use PollPad. Poll workers now simply scan a voter’s valid photo ID and instantly access county voter registration records, resulting in a faster voter check-in.

IndyVOTES Easier
    All voters will now be completing their ballots securely on the ExpressVote touchscreen machines—which can access any ballot from any precinct across the county. The ExpressVote will provide a printed ballot allowing voters to verify their selection, providing a paper trail for every vote.

IndyVOTES Anywhere
    Thanks to these advances, voters in Marion County will now be able to vote conveniently and securely at ANY of the Vote Centers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In Dubois County you must vote in your precinct's voting location. Other counties may differ, but in Dubois you are limited to 1 location based on where you live.

https://www.duboiscountyin.org/explore_dubois_county/voter_information/polling_places.php

Marion County was that way historically, but it has changed as of this election.

https://vote.indy.gov/vote-centers/

That makes sense since it's the county election committee/board that runs things for each county.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

He told me his grandson had got called into to work today, and said he specifically asked me to take him because of the Biden/Harris sign in my yard...how could I say no? We waited for an hour and a half outside and he was inside about a half an hour. When he got back out he was smiling ear-to-ear as he told me he had cast his ballot for Trump.

Now that's funny! :laugh:

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I moved to Texas a couple of years ago, and the early voting process down here went really well for me. There are 47 early voting locations in Bexar Country (San Antonio), and last week they were open until 8 PM. This week until 10 PM. We went to the nearest location last Thursday at 7:30 PM and walked straight in to vote. In and out in 5 minutes max.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

That's hilarious no matter which side of the aisle someone is on.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    In Dubois County you must vote in your precinct's voting location. Other counties may differ, but in Dubois you are limited to 1 location based on where you live.

https://www.duboiscountyin.org/explore_dubois_county/voter_information/polling_places.php

Same way here in Perry. We went in today and voted, they looked at ID, checked it against the book, then pointed out which machine to use. From the time we walked in the door of the courthouse to walking back out, about 10 minutes.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I went yesterday in Marion county. Drove by 3 locations in the morning , and they were all packed. Went back to Perry township location, got in line at 2pm, made it back to the truck at 4:30.

Top Bottom