• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I went up and made my house payment (property taxes) to the county today. Of course even though the city took part of my property last year, my bill went up again this year. But of course, they say you are paying for last year, so wait for the bill next year to show the decrease. Anyone taking odds on that.

So I ask about taking my wife's name off the property. Oh, different department, so I go there. Well, for $25 and an original death certificate, they will have her name taken off the bill, but that won't change the property. For that, I need to hire a lawyer and have a new deed drawn up. You just have to love our government in action.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I went up and made my house payment (property taxes) to the county today. Of course even though the city took part of my property last year, my bill went up again this year. But of course, they say you are paying for last year, so wait for the bill next year to show the decrease. Anyone taking odds on that.

So I ask about taking my wife's name off the property. Oh, different department, so I go there. Well, for $25 and an original death certificate, they will have her name taken off the bill, but that won't change the property. For that, I need to hire a lawyer and have a new deed drawn up. You just have to love our government in action.
    They aren't there for you, they aren't there to help you and they do not care about you or your property nor do they care to represent your interests in any fashion. They are there to feed the machine. Common sense and common decency were murdered decades ago by bureaucrats in our government.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Last April my property tax went up a lot and I asked that the assessment be reviewed. As of last year we are both over 65. An occasional drainage district fee is not applicable this year. It really worked! My taxes went down! Six whole dollars.

To celebrate, I stopped by Dairy Queen and bought a Buster Bar, and just like that, my six bucks was gone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did they do away with the mortgage deduction this year? I've still got the homestead deduction, but the $3000 mortgage deduction went away.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

I wait till the last day to pay my property tax. And I do the same in the fall too. I can't stand the thought of giving them my money ahead of time

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Ours jumped insanely. For the past two years, and that's not to mention insurance.:runaway:
    Our insurance went up 40%, and we have never had a claim of any type. My insurance guy sells several brands and what I had was still the cheapest. I talked to other brand offices, and they were still more.

One salesman explained that I am not insuring a $250K house anymore, I am insuring a $350K house. Then he gave me a big grin, like I was supposed to feel better. I reminded him that it is the same house, I did not move, and now it needs repainted and some of the carpet is worn out.

The government caused inflation is a gift to everyone except the taxpayers.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Years ago when I was dealing with the child support office in Clark County, it was really my first experience dealing with bureaucracy. Literally the dumbest ***ing people I’ve ever met, to this day, I have never experienced the kind of stupidity that that group of mouth breathers displayed.

I’ve always said that anyone who wishes to vote, should be required to spend a half hour in one of their local government offices just observing the “employees”.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I wait till the last day to pay my property tax. And I do the same in the fall too. I can't stand the thought of giving them my money ahead of time
    I pay the morning after the tax bill come in the mail. The assessors and treasurers offices are empty and the clerks look startled to see anyone coming through the door.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So may I ask, just how easy do you want it to be for the bad guys to take your name off of the deed, the only deed, that proves you are the legal owner? Whatever steps you must do and proof provided is what keeps the bad guys at bay, no matter the PIA it is.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Want to see why your assessed values are rising sharply it can be summed up in a couple of charts.

1713398106557.png

Note the housing supply deficit. That is the demand vs. supply, now let’s look at the results.

1713398137720.png

Pretty simple really. If one looks at the blue bars in the top chart the area still has not reached the building peak of 2005. My rough count is that since the peak of 2005 there are about 125,000 missing houses in the area. Newer neighborhoods typically turn over at 10% a year meaning there are 12,500 houses a year not available for sale because they were never built…

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Property taxes on primary residences is insane. I retired with a pension plenty healthy enough to make my mortgage payment when I bought the house. At a minimum, taxes should be based on the purchase price of the home. People should not be taxed out of their homes. Taxing me based on what something might be worth is beyond corruption.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Property taxes on primary residences is insane. I retired with a pension plenty healthy enough to make my mortgage payment when I bought the house. At a minimum, taxes should be based on the purchase price of the home. People should not be taxed out of their homes. Taxing me based on what something might be worth is beyond corruption.
    We all essentially agree a property tax does not allow for ownership without payment. The question is, just who and how should government services that directly benefit the property be paid for. County, city, and town streets and roads and other infrastructure. What about the surveyors and drainage departments? Police and fire departments? The deed offices that secure you ownership. These all directly benefit the property.

Who should fund schools is certainly debatable but service directly to or for property should be paid by who how if there is no property tax?

Top Bottom