• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Couldn’t say, never played one. But do remember the class though. And the other stupid one on how to protect yourself from an atomic bomb with a shelter half.
    The training I was referring to wasn't military training and wasn't referring to crew served machine guns. I think it still has validity. "One well-aimed shot can silence a machine gun!" Hand held machine guns, in general, aren't that effective at longer ranges when fired in long bursts.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Across the course shooters practice this adnausium.
    60 seconds
    From an unloaded gun with two magazines on the deck.
    Load, find NPA
    Fire two (2) aimed rounds, dump magazine
    Load, find NPA
    Fire eight (8) aimed rounds, make gun safe

This is done @ 200 yards, from the sitting position and @ 300 yards, from the prone position. If you are not shooting clean with a high X count you will not win the stage. You had better be shooting 98 or better to have a chance of placing high in the overall match.

Reactions: Leo
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I just watched a video of a guy that evaluated a AR 15 versus a M1A on the basis of how accurately he could shoot them while doing a mag dump at 20 yards.

I can understand a controlled pair or even three for each rifle. I don't understand the need to empty your magazine into the body of just one assailant .

I have considered myself a rifleman for well over 50 years. That means precision fire out to 500 yards. A round fired every 4-5 seconds.

Please educate me. What is the purpose of a mag dump besides burning up all your ammunition? I really want to know.
    Clearly, you do not own full auto. :)
    However, burst vs dump, I can clear a Texas Star with 5 bursts in under a second.
    My wife can put 32 rounds from an Uzi into a silhouette at 25 yards, 19 in center mass.

Attachments

• JessUzi2017.jpg
      JessUzi2017.jpg
      601.9 KB · Views: 8

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    My first truly aimed shots would go for the driver. Then dump into the car in general. Minute of window at that point?
    The only reason I even think that way is because of a poor, misunderstood youth telling me his homies were coming to shoot me up. A car full of poor, misunderstood youth did drive by but it must not of been them. I was sitting in my garage a little more than ready. Yes, I practice it occasionally.
    “… a little more than ready.” Gotta remember that phrase.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    The training I was referring to wasn't military training and wasn't referring to crew served machine guns. I think it still has validity. "One well-aimed shot can silence a machine gun!" Hand held machine guns, in general, aren't that effective at longer ranges when fired in long bursts.
    My mistake, I thought your reference was as stated in your post #48 “sub machine guns“. Modern sniper’s got it all over the commies in my time. :biggun:

Glad I’m not in the field today. Thanks to those that are. :patriot:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I just watched a video of a guy that evaluated a AR 15 versus a M1A on the basis of how accurately he could shoot them while doing a mag dump at 20 yards.

I can understand a controlled pair or even three for each rifle. I don't understand the need to empty your magazine into the body of just one assailant .

I have considered myself a rifleman for well over 50 years. That means precision fire out to 500 yards. A round fired every 4-5 seconds.

Please educate me. What is the purpose of a mag dump besides burning up all your ammunition? I really want to know.
    The only use of a mag dump for me is to test reliability after a build several different times throughout the first 1000rds. Other than that it's a complete waste of ammo.

I seen a guy who had 70 year old Russian magazines for his AK47. He was mag dumping and after awhile his AK would fail to feed.
    I'm taking about 12 mag dumps with 3 magazines after reloading them.
    I ask if he had replaced the 70 year old springs since the magazines looked really used, and if he had cleaned them up. He looked at me like he didn't know what I was talking about.

That lead to my next question of why the mag dumps?
    He genuinely said just in case of a zombie apocalypse he can hit many of them in the head.
    I said with the way he was shooting he'd be lucky to hit their toes.
    It was all over the place at 50yds. I seen impacts spread out over 15 yards and some short of the target by 10yds. Some left, or right of the target by 15yds, and some over top the target.
    I just left I didn't want to be around that kind of stupid.

tikkasako6.5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2022
    Sparta, TN

You dont need education, Sir, you have it correct.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Why do you need a semi auto gun at all……? :dunno: Heck a double barrel for home defense (for firing in the air only) and a bolt gun for hunting is ALL you need.

on a side note I watch ASP on YouTube and the amount of officer induced mag dumps in high stress situations is much higher than one would expect.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Why do you need a semi auto gun at all……? :dunno: Heck a double barrel for home defense (for firing in the air only) and a bolt gun for hunting is ALL you need.

on a side note I watch ASP on YouTube and the amount of officer induced mag dumps in high stress situations is much higher than one would expect.
    Do you think that those officers need additional training? I recently read one account of an officer involved shooting, he fired a lot of rounds in a short period of time, but there was no mag dump, which I think is extremely rapid fire, without pause, until the gun is empty.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Do you think that those officers need additional training? I recently read one account of an officer involved shooting, he fired a lot of rounds in a short period of time, but there was no mag dump, which I think is extremely rapid fire, without pause, until the gun is empty.
    I believe all law enforcement should get as much training as possible.
    Unfortunately people don't want to fork out more in taxes to pay for that extra training, yet complain when things should have went better when they don't.
    The only way officers can get that extra training is actually going through a bad situation if they have not had any training for said situation.

Would people be interested in paying say 0.25% more in taxes to help officers get that extra training? If that tax was dedicated to training only?

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County

Because it is the best way to be TactiCool!
    :ar15:

And yes, I too think it is a waste of ammo ($$$).

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Anytime I get a new semiautomatic rifle or pistol , I run a box or two of shelf grade, standard velocity ammo through it fast. I'm verifying that the weapon will function in a stressful situation. If I plan to carry a special hollow point or vi velocity round , I run the same test. I also do that test with my reloads.
    If you run into a defense situation, especially at close range, you will most likely have to shoot more than one time, quickly. I like to believe that my gun will do that without a hitch.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I believe all law enforcement should get as much training as possible.
    Unfortunately people don't want to fork out more in taxes to pay for that extra training, yet complain when things should have went better when they don't.
    The only way officers can get that extra training is actually going through a bad situation if they have not had any training for said situation.

Would people be interested in paying say 0.25% more in taxes to help officers get that extra training? If that tax was dedicated to training only?
    I have heard then had it confirmed by some that the only time many officers use their firearm is for yearly qualification. I find that
    rather sad. If my job included the ever present possibility needing a firearm I would want to know using it like I know using the bathroom.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have heard then had it confirmed by some that the only time many officers use their firearm is for yearly qualification. I find that
    rather sad. If my job included the ever present possibility needing a firearm I would want to know using it like I know using the bathroom.
    When I say training I mean more of everything.
    Range, firearm classes, training to de-escalate hostile situations if possible.
    There is a lot more to it than shooting a firearm well.

Reactions: Mij

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I used to Bullseye pistol shoot with a 2nd precinct CIty of Chicago officer. He was a good shot. He said it was a rare week that he did not have to discharge his weapon in the line of duty.

I also knew a town of Lowell officer that was retiring, around 1985. He said that the only time he discharged his weapon on duty was dispatching rabid dogs. As a hobby shooter, the man could shoot just fine, I had no reservation about his shooting skills.

I think the Chicago testimony was sadly how things are. The Lowell testimony is a statement of what a town in America should be. The lefty criminal justice system is clearly broken, and it is not the Peace officers fault.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

Top Bottom