• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    Any advice for someone wanting to get started in hunting? I don't know anyone that hunts, otherwise I would ask them for help.
    I just figure I'll read up and try and learn myself. If anyone taught themselves and has some tips, I'd love to hear them.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    What kind of hunting do you want to do? Target Animal or birds? Firearms, Archery, or primitive weapons? Near Home (in Indiana) or willing to travel? Budget limitations? Time limitations? In order to give any reasonable advice you need to define your wants and needs and limits a bit.
    AL

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    What are you wanting to hunt? Squirrel season just came in the other day, they are a great to learn on. I would say just spend as much time in the woods as you can and you will figure it out. Don't get discouraged if you don't have any luck the first couple of times out, even the best get skunked from time to time. Where you located? Someone on here might be able to show you a few things in person. Good luck. SB.

Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    Let's see if I can answer all these.
    I'm looking to hunt in Indiana within 2-3 hours of Greenfield where I live. Looking to hunt anything to get started. Not sure about budget or time. Weekends?

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    On top of what's been said and asked, learn what the different animals tracks and scat looks like, learn how to identify bedding areas, food plots/sources, water sources, game trails, etc. Learn how to identify trees, plants. Learn how to track game. Once you get the gear for hunting the game of your choice, put on your gear and shoot gun/bow with gear on to get used to it. Shoot in as many angles and positions as possible to get accurate. Learn animals habits, learn how to judge distances accurately, learn how to cover your scent. Most importantly learn hunting etiquette. Couldn't hurt to learn how to skin, gut, field dress and process the game yourself too.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Chris, One very basic question... Are you hunting for 'food'...or for some other reason? I am a firm believer in the concept of "You eat what you shoot"... except in the case of vermin or predators that are damaging the land or crops but are not considered edible.

I am not fond of eating squirrels...many folks are... so I don't shoot them. I do shoot woodchucks/groundhogs. as they damage our fence lines and have wrecked some of our gardens, but I don't eat them. I would shoot a coyote on sight, but haven't had one close enough to do that. We eat Venison and Wild Hog, so shooting them is high on my list. But I do not shoot critters, just to kill something. I think it is a question of personal ethics that all shooters must decide for themselves.

Meantime if you settle that personal decision, then get out a 22 rifle and move from paper targets to live critters like the bushy tailed squirrels while they are in season.

Good Luck in your new hobby.

SNAGGLE TOOTH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Indy
    I agree.... Figure out your motivation and go from there. I only kill to eat or predators, not for killing in and of itself. For me in Indiana that means rabbits, deer and turkey - squirrel is not currently on my menu. I would love to bird hunt but I would want to go with someone that knew the ropes so I could learn. If you have not been raised hunting it is important to know if you are weapon savvy. Last thing you want to do is shoot yourself if you trip in the woods because you are not accustomed to huffing loaded weapons that shoot big holes through things. Proficiency at arms is important and that is why I believe in training. I will not hunt with anyone that I feel is not able to handle weapons safely. This is a good forum for you i think. I learn all the time and I am in my forties... Spend time in the woods, get some training, make some friends... Take your time because it it is a lifetime sport --- for as long as you can walk... Have fun and be safe. Very, very broad topic.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I live just north of Greenfield. Unfortunately, central Indiana is nearly devoid of public land on which to enjoy hunting. Your nearest public hunting lands are Wilbur Wright State Forest over towards Greencastle and Camp Atterbury just north of Columbus.

There's also Morgan-Monroe State Forest and Yellowwood State Forest, south of Martinsville, north of Bloomington. Any direction you go, you are probably looking at a 1 to 2 hour drive just to go hunting. Not impossible but you'll want to spend most or all of the day if you have to travel there and back.

Another option is to get permission to hunt on private land closer to home. There's many advantages to this and I highly recommend investing the effort to knock on some doors and find a few wood lots close to home where you can go hunting. Here's what I do. I have some "business" cards that I printed from my computer that have my name, address, telephone number, e-mail adress, etc. I also have a map of the county which you can print off of the Hancock County website or get from the county recorder's office. I knock on the door, introduce myself and tell where I live. Then I hold out the map and say I'm looking to find the owner of a particular piece of property and show it to them on the map. They may say somebody else owns it but if they say I am talking to the owner I explain that I am looking for a place to go hunting, and tell them why and how I would treat their property with respect, etc. I carry several copies of the landowner permission form printed in the Indiana Hunting and Trapping Guide which you can get on-line or at any sporting goods store. If they say, I don't try to convince them or change their mind, I just say "thank you any way". And then I ask them if they know any other landowners in the area they might be able to suggest. I don't dress in hunting clothes when asking for permission - I wear nicer casual clothes and try to present a positive respectable image. I don't get permission every time - less than half of the time actually but spending a Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon knocking on doors should get you one or two little spots where you can go hunting close to home. Once you get permission to hunt ask them if they want you to let them know before each time you come out or not. Ask them where to park, etc. Assure them that you won't bring anyone else without their prior approval and that it will be only you. Once you get permission from someone, keep in touch with them at least yearly. Send them a Christmas card and personal note thanking them for their kindness and tell them about the fun you've had and let them know how much you enjoyed the squirrel stew or whatever.

Now, I will say that it's hard to get permission to hunt deer. All landowners either hunt deer themselves or have family/friends that hunt deer. I don't even bother - I just ask for permission to hunt small game or coyotes. Also, I first started trying to get permission to hunt private land when I was 19 years old and lived in Indianapolis. No landowners would give me the time of day back then, much less give me permission to hunt on their land. It left a real sour taste in my mouth toward farmers and landowners for many years. It's much easier to get permission now that I'm old and live in the area. I like to take my five year old son with me - he's so cute in his boots and John Deere hat that he gets people started off in a friendly attitude right off the bat.

By all means, get the Hunting and Trapping Guide and read it thoroughly a few times to be sure you know all the rules, seasons, and regulations. If you don't know them already, study up on gun safety! I have an old friend who's teenage son decided he wanted to try hunting so he got himself a .22 and went squirrel hunting. He shot himself dead. No joke.

If you want to hunt deer I would highly suggest one of the draw hunts where you apply to hunt deer on a military property or wildlife refuge. They are probably the best deer hunting opportunities for somebody without access to private property.

Take a hunter's ed class. You'll learn a lot. If you can't attend a class in person, I think you can take a class on-line from the DNR's website. It will be worth your time and will get you preference for the draw hunts I mentioned.

Get outdoors with your firearm and enjoy yourself. There's a never ending amazement and wonder in nature. Hunting and trapping allow you to become part of it. You are not going to become Daniel Boone - ever. It takes a lot of time and hiking to learn about the animals, their habits and habitats. But you can learn and get better if you get out there and spend lots of time outdoors.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I didn't grow up in a family that hunted and fished so I've had to teach myself. I've got fishing down so I started taking up squirrel hunting since it's supposed to be a good way to get intro'd in to hunting. Squirrel hunting is pretty straightforward. Go in the beginning or end of the day. Find old hardwood oak tree areas. Look for squirrel signs such as calls and cuttings (nut pieces that the squirrels have been eating). Sit there quietly and keep looking. If you find and pop one, don't jump up after it. Most likely there will be more to find out what is going on.

I've decided to go on to bigger game, whitetail deer. Indiana DNR with coordination with Purdue is putting on "Hunt, Fish, Eat" classes that demonstrates where to hunt, what to use, how to process a deer, and the laws around it. It consists of 4 classes, one each week. Might want to look in to that since most of the class are newbies like us. Check out the DNR's events calendar to see when the next one by you is happening. It's in the State government's best interest to conduct these classes. The number of hunters is on the decline and they rely on hunters to 1) give them an idea of the deer population and 2) trim the deer herds because an overpopulation does some serious damage to the local plant life thus damage to the other wildlife in that area.

Thanks to this calendar, I'll be taking a class later this year on Trapping courtesy of Indiana State Trappers Association.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I personally shoot out of my backyard with a pellet rifle, usually for squirrels or rabbits. I live in a semi-suburban area, so I can't use live rounds.

When hunting for squirrels, if the wind is low, look for branches that are shaking significantly different to others around it. Get to know what the nests look like, and if you combine these two factors with all the other tips given, you should be successful.

Good luck.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Indiana DNR with coordination with Purdue is putting on "Hunt, Fish, Eat" classes that demonstrates where to hunt, what to use, how to process a deer, and the laws around it. It consists of 4 classes, one each week.

Do you have a link for it?

Top Bottom