Huh? California sheriff raids Indiana business with warrant? Batmobile?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    That's crazy. Sounds very corrupt. And I can't believe that Cali officers can serve a warrant in Indiana unless local Indiana authorities agree and assist them.. Maybe they left that out?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I saw the video from the news station from CA. They are hot CA tax payers footing the bill for these cops, sheriff on vacation. Asking the prosecuter and she don’t know the details. How do you not know details? The rich guy getting back from his vacation in few days and the 2 are talk things out. The Batman guy is out of Logansport, IN. I don’t think he did anything wrong. Just a rich jerk with a corrupt cop buddy that only has a few months left in office, he got voted out. Hope Batman sues all of them.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Very long story short.

State court subpoenas and warrants "don't travel well". That is, in and of themselves, they have no power outside the state of the court they are issued by.

However, out-of-state agencies can apply to an Indiana court for a warrant. The court in Indiana then has its own responsibility to evaluate probable cause, but generally give "full faith and credit" to court is record in other states.

Not applicable to this case, but federal warrants are good everywhere in the country.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not that the reporters helped that much, but having watched a TV report, it looks like the warrant was issued by Judge Stephen Kitts of the Cass Circuit Court (Indiana):

warrant.png

Could it arguably be a criminal case? I guess. Should it be? Nothing that I have seen so far indicates that this is anything that should be dealt with in criminal courts, particularly in California.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Someone is hot to trot on this case for some reason.

"Declaration in support of Criminal Complaint" filed 6/7/2022

"New case filed" and warrant issued 7/22/22

Arraignment set for August 19, 2022.

Oh, and the original report in support of the criminal complaint has been sealed....which is a little odd in a case like this, here at least.

However, I don't have full access to court records in California like I do here....but it is marked as "sealed".

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I say it was Penguin!
    Or a Joker. The rich guy that stopped payments on his bat mobile and got his car put back a year looks like a Joker. He paying off the cops, the Prosecuter and a IN judge. Have $$$ will get what you want. But hope it gets the bribe takers sued. By guess Joker and Batman hash this out, and it all goes away. Too much publicity now. Joker didn’t think that out far enough….. again. Lol

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So, generally, here's the way this works- YMMV.

The prosecutor in California only knows what the Sheriff's department tells them, but they have a responsibility to ensure themselves that this is a case that should be brought. The judge who issued the original warrant in California only knows what the Sheriff's dept. tells them and has to take at face value (for the most part) what the police put in the affidavit. Remember, a search warrant is not a finding of anything except probable cause and that is based solely on what the Sheriff tells the judge.

Fast forward to Indiana- so there is a facially valid warrant from California. The judge in Indiana gives full faith and credit, meaning that the facts in the warrant are not re-evaluated, but the judge has to make sure that Indiana standards are met (what makes probable cause and the form of the warrant application varies a bit from state to state). As long as the California warrant and what is applied for in Indiana are authentic and follow the form, the warrant is issued.

I say all that to say this. IF (still an if...unless we're ready to trust local media completely) there is any corruption, it would likely lie with the Sheriff in California. Maybe, with complicity by the California prosecutor, and by "corruption" I mean favors, not money. Further, the prosecutor is probably just sloppy or lazy on this more than anything else rather than "corrupt". I am sure the deputy pros. is looking for a way out at this point.

I see no indication, at this point, of any wrongdoing in Indiana.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I wonder if the bat builder has any statements about scheduling and payments in his purchase contract… I would recommend if he doesn’t, he get ahold of a lawyer hip on contract law going forward.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

The prosecutor in California only knows what the Sheriff's department tells them, but they have a responsibility to ensure themselves that this is a case that should be brought. The judge who issued the original warrant in California only knows what the Sheriff's dept. tells them and has to take at face value (for the most part) what the police put in the affidavit. Remember, a search warrant is not a finding of anything except probable cause and that is based solely on what the Sheriff tells the judge.

Fast forward to Indiana- so there is a facially valid warrant from California. The judge in Indiana gives full faith and credit, meaning that the facts in the warrant are not re-evaluated, but the judge has to make sure that Indiana standards are met (what makes probable cause and the form of the warrant application varies a bit from state to state). As long as the California warrant and what is applied for in Indiana are authentic and follow the form, the warrant is issued.

I say all that to say this. IF (still an if...unless we're ready to trust local media completely) there is any corruption, it would likely lie with the Sheriff in California. Maybe, with complicity by the California prosecutor, and by "corruption" I mean favors, not money. Further, the prosecutor is probably just sloppy or lazy on this more than anything else rather than "corrupt". I am sure the deputy pros. is looking for a way out at this point.

Great explanation, seems most likely.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Corruption? In CA? UNPOSSIBLE!!!!!!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I wonder if the bat builder has any statements about scheduling and payments in his purchase contract… I would recommend if he doesn’t, he get ahold of a lawyer hip on contract law going forward.
    I'm guessing that a guy who makes $210,000 DC-licensed Batmobiles has a red batphone direct to a lawyer... I doubt this is the first time that he has dealt with would-be purchasers have reneged on payment.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm guessing that a guy who makes $210,000 DC-licensed Batmobiles has a red batphone direct to a lawyer... I doubt this is the first time that he has dealt with would-be purchasers have reneged on payment.
    Agreed. Just because we haven't heard from his lawyer doesn't mean he doesn't have one, or one didn't draft the contract.

Top Bottom