Huh? California sheriff raids Indiana business with warrant? Batmobile?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    It's scary to live in a world where civilian "A" with connections so easily gets access to civilian "B"'s financial and online data with zero due process(...yeah, I get there's a paper trail based on the paperwork of corrupt/misinformed bureaucrats in both CA and IN), to the extent of freezing bank accounts and with the full cooperation of local authorities. I believe the first folks I'd call out are the local authorities that played along with zero due diligence.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's scary to live in a world where civilian "A" with connections so easily gets access to civilian "B"'s financial and online data with zero due process(...yeah, I get there's a paper trail based on the paperwork of corrupt/misinformed bureaucrats in both CA and IN), to the extent of freezing bank accounts and with the full cooperation of local authorities. I believe the first folks I'd call out are the local authorities that played along with zero due diligence.
    Have they actually gotten the financial info? Getting a warrant for it isn't the same as getting it. There's a whole process for challenging such things.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    When there are services and money involved, the lines between a civil vs. criminal issue can be very blurry. Sometimes they can overlap.

I am wondering if the case is sealed because of financial information and/or sensitive information in it?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Ft Wayne news from channel 15 just ran story and said rich guy missed multiple payments and no contact for 9 months. Which we knew, but now say the car has been paid in full but now he has to wait. Didn’t catch anything about charges being dropped. If car has been paid in full doesn’t sound like his bank account is still frozen.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Ft Wayne news from channel 15 just ran story and said rich guy missed multiple payments and no contact for 9 months. Which we knew, but now say the car has been paid in full but now he has to wait. Didn’t catch anything about charges being dropped. If car has been paid in full doesn’t sound like his bank account is still frozen.

Paid in full before the ******** took off. Pissed off that he has to wait because he ****ed around.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And the CA Sheriff behind it all has been on vacation, and isn't expected back for a month or so.

I get the feeling that they didn't expect to get caught in their corruption.
    They sent someone to Indiana, but they can't send someone to where the Sheriff is?
    Huh?

Awful lot of people taking vacations there.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Local (Indiana) news:

nothing really different that hasn’t already been reported, but it also says his bank account has been frozen.

If so, that would seem to disrupt the delivery schedule for all his other customers. So now do they sue Racop over schedule slip?

EDIT: Well rats, apparently WRTV restricted the video from being played outside of YouTube.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If so, that would seem to disrupt the delivery schedule for all his other customers. So now do they sue Racop over schedule slip?

Where else are they going to go to get their bat mobile since he is the only one licensed to build them?

My conspiracy mind immediately goes to someone affiliated with the sheriff wants to steal the license rights from Racop
    so they are going after him to get DC to drop licensing because of the "controversy" in favor of one of their other associates in commifornia.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Where else are they going to go to get their bat mobile since he is the only one licensed to build them?

My conspiracy mind immediately goes to someone affiliated with the sheriff wants to steal the license rights from Racop
    so they are going after him to get DC to drop licensing because of the "controversy" in favor of one of their other associates in commifornia.
    Holy conspiracy theories, Batman! Seems very plausible. Have seen similar, though no LEO involvement, over rights before…

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Racop sez:

"People knew that the cars were expensive, and I knew that there would be a kind of stigma attached to it and people would say, 'Why is he having a GoFundMe when he sells these expensive cars?'" Racop said. "But the account is frozen. There's no access to the money. What little money I have is being used for everyday expenses regarding the business and payroll, and it's very expensive to hire a California attorney and pay for airfare and hotels."

He says he also had the post $10,000 bail in California.

I’m still looking for an article that provides a ”legal” source for frezing an account.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Racop said a missed 2019 payment from Anagnostou and a lack of contact over nine months bumped Anagnostou to the end of the line for a car. However, (ADA) Wagstaffe said that based on bank and email records obtained of payments, the DA’s Office saw probable cause a crime was committed, with the DA’s Office in July charging Racop with fraud and misuse of construction funds, both felonies, which Racop denies. Wagstaffe said a key issue is a 2020 payment made by Anagnostou and questions if Racop had given away the car intended for Anagnostou.

And
    Wagstaffe said allegations against the Sheriff’s Office would only be a criminal matter if it were in return for a tangible benefit, with no evidence of criminal misconduct. Wagstaffe said the manner of the operation is up to the Sheriff’s Office, such as how many deputies to send, and was outside the jurisdiction of the DA’s Office.
    I think the sheriff is off the hook with the DA.

Top Bottom