• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll join the crowd in advocating that a proper belt is the core of an effective carry system regardless of the other details (assuming it's a belt-mounted holster of some sort).

Some people accept this right away. Some learn by experience that it's true and wish they hadn't wasted time and money on crappy belts once they finally heed the advice and get a good belt. Some will never accept it, even though their holster moves around, flops outwards, never allows a consistant draw, and is uncomfortable to boot.

A good belt with a crap holster is almost always better than a crap belt with a good holster.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So "comforting and not comfortable" is nowhere near a throw-away, at least when I repeat it. It's a concise way of making a very important statement.

Ok. I will agree with your assessment and rationale. Nevertheless, at the time I was looking for carry advice, one of my main problems was "I can't carry in this way because..." with several clear reasons. Rather than suggest alternatives, more than one person threw that line at me as if to say "Well, it sucks to be you then." Since then, I have been extremely hesitant to ever use that phrase, especially to people new to carrying.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ok. I will agree with your assessment and rationale. Nevertheless, at the time I was looking for carry advice, one of my main problems was "I can't carry in this way because..." with several clear reasons. Rather than suggest alternatives, more than one person threw that line at me as if to say "Well, it sucks to be you then." Since then, I have been extremely hesitant to ever use that phrase, especially to people new to carrying.

Ah, I see your point, and I sympathize. I suppose I'm guilty (again) of thinking the phrase meant to other people what it means to me, which is silly because most people don't have the same context. I will endeavor to use the line only to underscore more explicit and hopefully helpful commentary.

I had to learn most of this on my own, partially due to my unique body type, and partially because I can be stubborn and I don't always heed good advice immediately. I'm still fine-tuning things, and that will probably be the case for quite a while longer.

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I second the Crossbreed Supertuck. It is a very comfortable IWB option, and my family seldom knows whether I am carrying or not. (I've also told them that it is not a topic for conversation outside the house, and it should never be brought up.)

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I carry IWB in the appendix position. It is in a more natural drawing position. It seems, at least for me, the action of sweeping the cover shirt, raising the elbow high enough up to grab the grip & then clear the holster when carried at 3 o'clock is awkward. At the appendix position your hand is within inches of the gun with little arm movement required to draw.

Think about pretty much any BG. Where do they have the gun? In the waistband at the front of the body. They do it because it's easy to get to in a hurry. Most probably don't use holsters ("Mexican" carry) but that is completely unsafe, IMO.

I started out with my XD-40 4" model using a belly band I got at the Fort Wayne gunshow made by a nice older couple. I can't remember their name but the booth had a large sign that said "concealed carry" or something like that.

I have since moved on to a Kel-tec P11 and a custom-made leather holster I got at a later gunshow. I love the comfort & concealability. The only problem I have with it is, because I have a little "spare", it tends to dig when sitting for extended periods (driving, etc.). On the other hand the ease of access while driving is another plus to carrying there. The seat belt latch or seat back is not at all in the way.

Also, again not to start the OC vs. CC debate, if you do decide to OC most people will not even notice your gun, anyway - at least in my somewhat limited OC experience.

For those that use the Supertuck, can it be used comfortably in the appendix position? I've thought about getting one for a while but that is what's keeping me from commiting.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Yeah, as my weight has fluctuated over the past few years my carry has changed slightly. I was much more physically comfortable a few years ago when I was a few pounds lighter, but when your wife bakes the way mine does, well..

Anyhow, I'm working back down to a more managable weight and with the change in phisique I'm able to carry more comfortably in my situation. This isn't to say that someone that's carrying a little extra weight can't do so in comfort, but your size IS going to change the way that you carry. Some carry methods work best on a thin person, some work better on somebody with a little more heft..

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I would second everyone who says get a good gunbelt first. I bought a Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt when I first decided to CC and have been very happy with it. It's cheap and works great, though it's definitely a casual belt.

I carry a Glock 19 in a Glock sport/combat holster worn at about 4:00. It's a cheap Outside-the-Waistband holster made by Glock. It has good retention, is comfortable, and holds the gun high. You have to thread it into the belt, which takes time but also means the holster stays in a secure position. I just wear an untucked shirt, usually one that's a tad on the large side (some of my clothes are on the small side, others on the large) and I don't feel like anyone can notice.

With fall and winter coming it's easy to wear a jacket, sweater, sweatshirt, vest, etc. and have something that will easily cover a pistol on your hip.

There also lots of good info on ar15.com 's carry board. (Sorry to link to another forum, Fenway, but I found that one very very helpful when starting out in my CC adventures! :)

Of course, we'll do our best to answer your questions here -- and with Indiana specific info, too :)

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    As far as belts go, does anybody have a Liger belt they'd like to comment on? I've read lots of business reviews but not many personal ones..

I'm always looking for a good belt that looks good..

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As far as belts go, does anybody have a Liger belt they'd like to comment on? I've read lots of business reviews but not many personal ones..

I'm always looking for a good belt that looks good..

I generally have a hard time finding a good belt that doesn't look like a cowboy belt. I've been buying lately from The Belt Man with good results. Belts that actually look like regular dress belts.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    My favorate belt is form UBG Holsters. It's double thickness, plain black and 1 1/2" wide. Also available in 1 1/4" and brown and a redish brown color. I have found that thicker beats wider. My 1 3/4" DeSantis will not support the gun weight as well as the 1 1/2" UBG. His belts are about $65. He makes nice holsters too but none are tuckable. I use his OWB scabbord with my big CZ97B as long as I can wear an untucked shirt to cover it and it's all day comfort.
    As to IWB tuckable holsters, I currently wear a Raven Concealment with the tuckable clips. I like it a lot but a Cross Breed "super-tuck" will be purchased soon. I can see where the leather would be better for attacking the clips rather than the Kydex of the Ravan. I carry a fully loaded, steel framed, High Power every day in relative comfort. Yes, an outside the waistband holster would be more comfortable but a good IWB will work most of the time. I carry with this rig form getting dressed in the morning till bedtime at night. Once you get used to the feel, you forget it's there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I recently got a 5.11 leather belt with the plastic insert. I am not a big fan of 5.11 because they have overused the word "tactical" to the point of nausea, but its a great belt and its only $30. I suppose something from the beltman for $85 might be better, but I really don't have a complaint about this belt. US uniform and supply in Indy has them in stock to look at and try on.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Thanks for all the posts guys. one question without making another thread. i have a sigma 9mm. lets not talk about how bad these are!!! i have read all that crap already. this was a gift so im not complaining and ive never had a problem. anyway, i want a holster for it until i can get something a little smaller (thinking of bersa thunder 380) my question is what holsters fit the sigma, g19? usp?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Do you want a holster that will hold all three of those handguns?

You're not, in general, going to find a "good" concealed carry holster that will work for all three of them. You could probably get an inexpensive nylon holster at Dick's or something that would hold all three, but it would be OWB and not meant for concealment as much as it would be for basic carry. The only exception would have to be the smartcarry holster, probably in size Medium, which would be a semi-universal fit. I'm not sure what size to get for the three different models, though..

The basic idea behind a good IWB holster is that it's tailored to the firearm it's meant to fit - a sigma holster will be molded to fit a sigma and not a glock, for example..

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    ok sry let me clarify that, will the g19 or usp holsters work with my sigma. i thought many of the g19 holster would fit since they are almost the same shape and design. i only have a sigme but there arent a lot of holsters out there for the sigma but tons for g19.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Universal holsters, in general, do not work as well as one designed for a specific gun. Go to a store that carries a selection of holstrers and try them for fit. Most stores don''t mind as long as you have an employee present and show the gun to be unloaded.
    If you are thinking about an IWB holster for a semi-automatic pistol, a word from experiance: find a holster that has belt clips both in front and in back of the holster. I have found that these pistols carry their weight in the grip due to the loaded magizine. This means the weight will be above the belt when carried. The "high" position of this weight will cause the holster to rotate towards the horizontal. You will be repeatedly repositioning it. Note that the Cross Breed, Raven and most of the higher $ IWB holsters have 2 belt attachment points. This is not a problem with a revolver as the weight is in the cylinder, which is at or below the belt.

Top Bottom