• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Ok maybe a stupid and basic question but i dont have a real answer. How do you CC? gun on belt just put shirt over it? i would think you could tell. the reason i ask is im sure ive been around someone who was CC and never noticed. i want to know different ways for myself when i start. again sry for the basic question.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    This page is targeted for women, but it generally covers the basics for everyone:

Cornered Cat - How Do I Hide This Thing?

You'd be amazed at how easy it is to conceal, especially for men who aren't prone to wearing curve-hugging clothing. My husband typically wears an IWB holster that's tuckable. So, he wears a tee shirt underneath, and then a loose polo or button up shirt. I'm in the process of reworking my website, or I'd post photos to show you an example. Me, when I carry, it's IWB also, but I usually throw on a jacket or a sweater over it to cover it.

BennyBlown2v

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    IWB holster - inside waistband; a holster which fits between your pants and your body.

OWB holster - outside waistband; a holster which puts your weapon outside your pants, usually fastened to your belt.

By far an IWB is more easily concealable. There are also guns that are specifically made to fit into a pocket (Keltec makes a bunch of semi-auto pocket guns for instance), and there are some other ways to conceal what you carry. I carry using an IWB anywhere from the 6 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position, and just drop my shirt over.

Here are some videos on holsters:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6id83qgQVic"]YouTube - Holster Talk Part 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46EktyGjfY4"]YouTube - Holster Talk Part 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv-9jjRFutc"]YouTube - Holster Talk Part 3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1r_JhFl8pM"]YouTube - Holster Talk Part 4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFN6Ny38C_4"]YouTube - Concealed Carry with a Glock19 out in public.[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRt_xBl7dLU"]YouTube - Basic CCW tips and options of carry[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpoQPt5JKI8"]YouTube - My new concealed carry - Bersa Thunder .380 auto[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU5QEiVeagU"]YouTube - Types of Handgun Holsters[/ame]

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok maybe a stupid and basic question but i dont have a real answer. How do you CC? gun on belt just put shirt over it? i would think you could tell. the reason i ask is im sure ive been around someone who was CC and never noticed. i want to know different ways for myself when i start. again sry for the basic question.

What are you going to carry?
    How do you want to carry it?
    Have to start with a good gun belt and holster that works for your body.

I would recomment Lou Alessi, kind of expensive and he has a long wait, but he is one of the best out there.
    I prefer a belt holster and yes I wear it with a shirt over. 99% of the time you cannot tell I have a fullsize 1911 under the shirt.

Most people are not that observant to notice

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Right now i have a full size but will be getting a compact in the future to carry. i dont know how i was to carry it, since i havent tried any i dont know how they feel. IWB seems like a good way to go IF i think its comfortable all day and for bending, driving, ect.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IF i think its comfortable all day and for bending, driving, ect.
    You'll just be looking at what degree of comfort you can achieve. You'll also be looking to adapt the way you bend over, get in and out of cars, etc. To quote Rhino "wearing a firearm is comforting, not necessarily comfortable."

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Great replies so far. When you first put a holster on your belt and stick a chunk of metal (and plastic?) in it, it will not feel comfortable at all. Partly that's because it's new to you and partly it's because your brain is screaming at you "YOU HAVE A GUN ON YOUR HIP!!" This passes, trust me. You learn after wearing it around the house for a while how to adjust it so it fits you and is accessible when you need it. You might carry without a round in the chamber for a while just so it seems "less dangerous" to you as you become accustomed to it being there. There's a lot of talk on here and other forums about the "obligatory" trip to Wal Mart while armed. Why Wal Mart? It's where most of us see the most people and we think if we can blend in there with a hogleg on our belts, we can do so anywhere, at least that's my guess. When you get to where putting the gun in it's holster (round chambered for a long time now)is as routine for you as putting your wallet in your pocket, or when you have to take it out of the holster to go into, say, the courthouse or IRS office or some such and you feel naked, you'll know you've gotten past the "unusualness" stage.
    In all honesty, no one else except another armed citizen is going to notice it under your shirt, and sometimes, not even we will. There are some people who I know are armed and while on rare occasions, I'll try to guess where they carry, sometimes the only thing I have is an educated wild-ass guess.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,
    B

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    If I wear a t-shirt, and a button up non-fancy shirt over it... and put both over my Beretta 96 you can't tell. Then again I'm a bigger guy so my extra curves might help with that.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A good belt and holster is an absolute must. Please take a look at this post where you can see me using a good IWB:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ying_a_new_summer_carry_weapon.html#post59943

When I first started carrying, I realized I needed to alter my style of dress slightly. I bought pants one size larger and I started wearing baggier shirts. There are other ways to alter. You can get creative. Maybe you carry in a fanny pack or in a specially-designed Daytimer. Maybe you buy a pair of shoes with a tiny concealed compartment in the heel. The point is to consider a lot of different ways. Remember, too, that almost everyone won't notice when you're open-carrying, so concealed carrying is a cinch. Printing is not a problem in Indiana and very few people will know even if they see you print.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    A lot of people will suggest the MTAC. Here are some picture of my MTAC and my Glock 26 with a tighter fitting shirt. With a slightly looser shirt, I can conceal my Glock 19 with no issues.

l_8e74c2a16b5b2820a4a637446065752c.jpg

l_0e1a3d719cfac30c63fec18e949a6def.jpg

l_a920802c53552d0c1b497de5276f4e24.jpg

l_93d7451e0e5191492d35218e813d3faf.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    There are plenty of places on this forum where you can read the Concealed Carry (CC) versus Open Carry (OC) debate. I don't want to fill your thread with the CC vs. OC argument, but I should point out that some people will choose OC because it is more comfortable. IWB tends to be less conspicuous, but in my opinion it will never be as comfortable as OCing with a belt holster. Admittedly, I have not tried an M-TAC (which get good/great reviews) but I have tried various mid-level IWB holsters with limited satisfaction.

It is my opinion that the first thing you should buy is a good belt. A good holster on a bad belt is bad. Any holster on a stiff belt is good. A flimsy belt is the wrong foundation, no matter what holster you buy.

I would encourage you to make the belt your first purchase. Also, if you are cheap like me, don't be disappointed if you see gun belts in the $75+ range. There are belts available from 5.11 and a place called Looper Leather, both of which are around $30. I bought a 5.11 belt with the plastic insert for $30 from US Uniform and Supply in Indy. Even a cheap Uncle Mike's holster feels better now that I have got a good belt.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Good pics, Scutter..

I'll add that carrying *can* be done is most any form of dress. Unless you're Michael Phelps at the pool in a speedo, you can probably carry and nobody will know. My current job requires a specific business casual look - khaki pants, no pleats on the front, a white button-up shirt, tucked in, you get the idea. Open carry, at work anyway, is a non-possibility..

I generally use a tuckable holster from a company called High Noon Holsters. The only thing that's visible AT ALL is the clip that rides on the belt, and with a properly colored belt it's very hard to spot. I generally place a cellphone just ahead that covers the clip, so then nobody can tell anything. Not my boss, not my wife, nobody. I work in sales so I have to watch people pretty closely, and I've never seen anybody spot me..

On the other side, I've also used the Smarycarry holster as a deep concealment option. It's not nearly as easily accessed, but it's better than not carrying at all.

A good belt, in my opinion, is essential, as is a good holster. Properly fitting pants are a good idea if you're going to carry IWB. From there, it's just trial and error. And you will ALWAYS know that you're carrying, and until you get used to it, you'll be ultra aware of it. Most others won't..

Ohh, and bwframe, the "Comforting, not Comfortable" line is attributed to Clint Smith. If Rhino is Clint, then we REALLY need to have a class with this guy!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ohh, and bwframe, the "Comforting, not Comfortable" line is attributed to Clint Smith.

I hate that phrase. It's a throwaway comment so that people who should know better don't have to help people figure out how to carry effectively. I had it thrown at me a number of times when I was first trying to work out the best way to carry and it was not helpful.

Why shouldn't it be comfortable? There are plenty of ways to CC without it being uncomfortable, and if it feels good, you're more likely to carry on a regular basis.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ohh, and bwframe, the "Comforting, not Comfortable" line is attributed to Clint Smith. If Rhino is Clint, then we REALLY need to have a class with this guy!
    Dammit, you're right. Pretty sure I read it in Rhino's writing somewhere here, but now that you mention it, I know I've seen Clint say this also. Maybe Clint's quoting Rhino?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Ohh, I agree with you, Scutter - Trust me, when you're a newb and try to IWB carry in a pair of pants that barely fit you as it is, you're not going to be comfortable. You'll probably get pretty good at using the restroom while you're carrying, though, because the extra pressure on the gullet will really make the stomach churn..

Comfort is a biggie, and when I carry I will eventually kinda forget that my firearm is there.

Part one is a good belt. Unless you're doing a belly band or smartcarry style holster, you need a good belt to make things comfortable. Sure, you can use some paddle holsters and things without a belt, but they're generally not comfortable. Standard leather can work, but you generally need a thicker belt if it's not re-enforced. If you can do a 2'' belt with your pants, great, but most can't. That's where a thick belt or reinforced belt will do better.

Holster choice is a biggie too. The best thing you can do is try to find out what everybody else is using with the handgun that you carry (if you can try one out, even better) but often times you'll buy something that just doesn't work FOR YOU. Most folks that I know have at least a couple holsters that they just don't like - some guys have boxes of holsters that they never use! It can be plenty of trial and error, so if you can get together with a buddy and try on what they use, that will help you get a better idea of what works for you..

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    On the other side, I've also used the Smarycarry holster as a deep concealment option. It's not nearly as easily accessed, but it's better than not carrying at all.

Please read this article at The High Road before choosing a Smartcarry. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but you should be aware of the risks of not using a positive-retention holster with a trigger guard.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=393304

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, as was stated several times in that forum (and something I'll echo) there is a great deal of difference between the actual "Smartcarry" and the inexpensive knockoff variety. I don't have a knockoff, but I saw one at a gun show once and was easily able to pull the trigger on their test gun (a Glock 17, I think) through the material. Not going to happen with the actual Smartcarry, at least not that I've ever tried..

I'm also having trouble figuring out how the guy was wearing his where this could be a problem. I wear mine as the instructions state, and even if the firearm discharged it would have no chance of hitting my groin. It could hit down further on my leg, ankle or foot, but not my groin..

Hmmm..

Well, just like every holster, YMMV.. What works for some will definately not work for others..

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Hey it really helps if your big ugly turtle. No one can tell if Im carrying a gun, because no ones looking at me.....lmao

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I hate that phrase. It's a throwaway comment so that people who should know better don't have to help people figure out how to carry effectively. I had it thrown at me a number of times when I was first trying to work out the best way to carry and it was not helpful.

Why shouldn't it be comfortable? There are plenty of ways to CC without it being uncomfortable, and if it feels good, you're more likely to carry on a regular basis.

I totally swiped the line from Clint Smith and I stand by it 100%.

No matter how you choose to carry, not carrying at all is going to be more comfortable. That may seem like an example of reductio ad absurdem, but it actually makes a very important point. It's not a "throwaway" at all.

Carry a gun that is big and heavy enough to use effectively for most defensive scenarios involves multiple compromises, and comfort is among them. You may be lucky in that your choice of gun(s), holsters, belt, and clothing on your body are very comfy indeed. For some people, they're never going to reach that, either because they are less tolerant or because their body shape or some other factor make a difference.

Comfort is important, especially for people who are less dedicated to carrying, but it's not at the top of the list of considerations for carrying.

In my opinion, the list goes something like this, and each element will vary in specifics depending on your needs and skills.

1. Adequate security and consistent position and orientation
    2. Adequate access from any position
    3. Adequate concealment for your needs/preference
    4. Comfort

By far, the first two are the most important. Your gun has to stay in its holster as it is worn during the activities you will do. You don't necessarily need a level III security holster, but it also should fall out of your holster if you bend over.

Your holster has to keep the gun in the same place and at the same orientation all the time. You can't have a consistent, quick draw and presentation if your hand doesn't achieve a firing grip in the same place every time.

You need to be able to get to the gun when you need it, regardless of whether you are seated, standing, running, on the ground etc. If you have to carry more than one gun to achieve this, then that's what you should do. You may have time to dig through clothing, and you may not. You have to decide how much access you need, but you have to decide it before you're walking around in the real world and adjust accordingly.

I am comforted when I have my gun, it is secure, and I can get to it when I need it. I am not as physcially comfortable as I would be if I were not armed. That's a trade-off I'm willing to make. I will meet the primary needs first, and only then make it as comfortable as I can.

So "comforting and not comfortable" is nowhere near a throw-away, at least when I repeat it. It's a concise way of making a very important statement.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom