• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    It depends on the holster, I'd say. The way I'll describe this, there are three types of holsters - specific fit, close fit, and universal.

Specific fit holsters are molded to the firearm itself, and they're not going to work with a different model. Kydex is a great example.

Close fit holsters are what you'll see in catalogs sometimes. This holster will fit several different models.

Universal fit holsters will be nylon, basically, and are just a place to hold a barrel and trigger guard. The biggest ones will fit anything, but you'll end up with more holster than barrel in many situations..

So, in that situation, you may find a close fit holster that will work for you, but I don't know as I've never handled a sigma. I know that High Noon Holsters makes nice leather and they make holsters for the sigma, so that may be an option that I'll vouch for..

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Crossbreed makes holsters for the Sigmas, and I like my holster and my Sigma very much.

Thanks for all the posts guys. one question without making another thread. i have a sigma 9mm. lets not talk about how bad these are!!! i have read all that crap already. this was a gift so im not complaining and ive never had a problem. anyway, i want a holster for it until i can get something a little smaller (thinking of bersa thunder 380) my question is what holsters fit the sigma, g19? usp?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I carry IWB in the appendix position. It is in a more natural drawing position. ... At the appendix position your hand is within inches of the gun with little arm movement required to draw..
    Initially, I thought about carrying exactly that way. I ended up choosing a different way because cross draw lent itself to muzzle sweeping areas that I didn't feel so great about. I couldn't figure out a good way to do it. How do you control your draw?

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I hate to post this idea to everyone, but I feel it nessecary. Anyone who carries needs to accept the fact that right and responsibility comes with some cost. You are only hurting yourself if you always find the cheapest solution to your problem. I hate spending my very limited, hard earned money as much as anyone, but it is a nessecary means to an end. I do sympathize with the fact that very few of us can spend as we might like, but I would recommend that we all realize some gear isnt worth anything. Be as frugal or value concious as you like, but if a particular product isnt worth ****, then any cost is money wasted.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I wish there was a way to try a holster for a week and then return it if you don't like it. We could organize something like this, that is if there is anyone who has a few holsters they don't use laying around...... I know it would save me money. What good are groups like this if we can't organize and help each other out?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I wish there was a way to try a holster for a week and then return it if you don't like it. We could organize something like this, that is if there is anyone who has a few holsters they don't use laying around...... I know it would save me money. What good are groups like this if we can't organize and help each other out?
    I think I must be the only person I know that doesn't have a "holster" drawer full of misfits.
    When I first decided to carry, I bought a cheapo nylon Uncle Mike's deal to see how/where I wanted to position it. It didn't go so much as planned and after about 4 or 5 days my gun guy took it back and let me exchange it for the left handed version. I fiddled with that for about 5 months and decided to get a real McCoy leather number. I landed on just what I wanted from High Noon Holsters and as soon as it came, I ditched the nylon crap. It brings my total holster count to "one".
    I'm actually thinking about getting another for OWB instead of IWB exclusively, though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Check out Holstertrade.com

Something like holstertrade on a more local level might be cool. Of course, we do have a WTT section. I know its not the same as wearing a holster for a week and then deciding to buy or not, but it's more local than holstertrade.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Unfortunately there is no one way to "carry". Each person's body is different and the reasons and needs vary. It has to been viewed as a balance between concealment, access, and comfort. As other posters have said, you have to start with a good foundation of a belt and holster.
    Don't go cheap with them.. Why spend a few hundred dollars on a gun and expect it to live in a cheap holster.. A good holster and belt are part of the system of good carry. If the gun is held firm and is in the same place when you reach for it you can rely on muscle memory to allow you to improve your speed of draw.
    A basic thought is the more you go for concealment, the less access you will have..
    Open carry on the thigh offers very fast access and allows you to draw from more positions..
    But in the real world it is not practical ( yes it may be legal ... but not practical). So you have to give up some to conceal the gun.
    One the belt strong side allows a fast presentation, and may be accusable to the off hand. But does give up some on concealment.
    Some people pick a holster and just learn to live with it..
    Some have to buy several and play around to find one that works for them.

I have found that I use several different holsters , and guns ..
    Depending on which of the 3 factors I wish to "give up" or need more of..
    I have worn OWB strong side, OWB cross draw, Shoulder carry , IWB Strong, IWB Cross, SOB.
    Reverse IWB strong....
    All depending on how I need to dress, the amount of concealment I want.. and how much access to the gun I wish to give up..

Another part of the system is how you dress, you might find you alter the way you dress a little to offer better cover..
    If I carry OWB I wear a shirt open over a T-shirt a lot for casual dress, or a denim jacket... Or a sport coat..

I have suits tailored to fit the gun with out printing.. (BTW PM if you wish to know a good Indy tailor who will fit for equipment) .

If I am going to dress formal and am worried about the gun printing I may choose a smaller gun.
    I have a very tight fitted Tux that requires me to carry a walther PPK in a left handed IWB on my right side..
    Not a fast draw compared to my Sig OWB (strong) but allows me to carry a gun...

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    How to CC

Ok maybe a stupid and basic question but i dont have a real answer. How do you CC? gun on belt just put shirt over it? i would think you could tell. the reason i ask is im sure ive been around someone who was CC and never noticed. i want to know different ways for myself when i start. again sry for the basic question.

I use a fanny pack in hot weather. And a shoulder holster in cold weather.
    But you will need to figure out what is best for you. As no two people are a like.:twocents:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I alternate between a fanny pack and tuckable IWB, depending on my style of dress. Either will work at my office. With more casual dress, OWB with a loose shirt worn un-tucked. When things get more formal, I switch to a P3AT KelTec in a rear pocket holster. The KelTec in holster rig is the same size as my wallet. There are many good fanny packs out there designed for concealled carry. Find one with an adjustable support system for the pistol. Generic fanny packs allow the gun to move around inside the pack which prevents easy draw. Any holster worn on a belt needs solid support. Invest in a true gun belt, thick and stiff when you get a holster, IWB or OWB. The support of the belt makes all the difference.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Since you have a Sigma today, but are looking at maybe replacing it, I'd like to suggest re-evaluating the Comp-Tac MTAC

It's more expensive than the Supertuck Deluxe, however they share the same overall design, with one major difference. The Kydex side of the MTAC can be replaced for under $40 from Comptac. That means you're ONE $80 holster made to fit a Sigma today, for $40 can fit your Sigma, AND a full sized 1911 Tomorrow. $40 more and you can throw any non .45 Glock into the holster. (Glock Slide Body fits all three frame sizes)

If you sell the sigma, toss a few extra dollars on the sale and include the MTAC body with the gun, help perpetuate the use of good holsters. ;)

When I purchased my MTAC I bought an H&K P30 body with the holster. When I sold the Gun and got a Glock 19, I sold the P30 body, and purchased a Glock Slide body. Kept the leather side of the holster, and couldn't be happier :cool:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Crossbreed has a two week try out period...

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Since you have a Sigma today, but are looking at maybe replacing it, I'd like to suggest re-evaluating the Comp-Tac MTAC

It's more expensive than the Supertuck Deluxe, however they share the same overall design, with one major difference. The Kydex side of the MTAC can be replaced for under $40 from Comptac. That means you're ONE $80 holster made to fit a Sigma today, for $40 can fit your Sigma, AND a full sized 1911 Tomorrow. $40 more and you can throw any non .45 Glock into the holster. (Glock Slide Body fits all three frame sizes)

If you sell the sigma, toss a few extra dollars on the sale and include the MTAC body with the gun, help perpetuate the use of good holsters. ;)

When I purchased my MTAC I bought an H&K P30 body with the holster. When I sold the Gun and got a Glock 19, I sold the P30 body, and purchased a Glock Slide body. Kept the leather side of the holster, and couldn't be happier :cool:

visited their website, i like the holster. my main question since they dont have one for S&W sigma 9, what do i pick, g19? s&w m&p 9mm?

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Initially, I thought about carrying exactly that way. I ended up choosing a different way because cross draw lent itself to muzzle sweeping areas that I didn't feel so great about. I couldn't figure out a good way to do it. How do you control your draw?

I don't use it in a cross-draw position. I keep it at about 1-2 o'clock (closer to 1). I don't like cross-draw either.

Keep your support arm close to your body while you draw & you should minimize or eliminate muzzle sweep.

Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    IWB holster - inside waistband; a holster which fits between your pants and your body.

OWB holster - outside waistband; a holster which puts your weapon outside your pants, usually fastened to your belt.

By far an IWB is more easily concealable. There are also guns that are specifically made to fit into a pocket (Keltec makes a bunch of semi-auto pocket guns for instance), and there are some other ways to conceal what you carry. I carry using an IWB anywhere from the 6 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position, and just drop my shirt over.

I totally agree and thanks for posting the vids.. These are the same ones I used in order to start understanding the different methods.

Top Bottom