• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I always considered myself pretty tough when it comes to this stuff....

Then I found my Achilles heel which is apparently smell...In other words I can handle visually any blood, gore, vomit, etc....What I can't handle is the smell of said items after they have "turned" for lack of a better word...

It's weird but I will gag and throw up over the smell of decay but the sight of the most awful, disgusting thing in the world just seems like bad art to me...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Phaw!! It's all the practice you get dealing with sliced and diced pachydermis. No other explanation needed!!

Hush, you! Actually, most of my stupid-induced injuries have been in the last few years. I learned about the calm a long time ago the first few times I was in an emergency and had to help people. I love to panic when nothing is happening, but it seems tough for me to muster it when something big is going down.

I will sign up for your med course sooner or later. (probably more soonerish than laterish)
    Mayhap it is just a thing of adreniline and acting on impulse (not really getting time to think it all through).
    But man when I have time, it so makes me queasy... And that scares me, that I couldn't do anything if the time came.

I will read your book natdscott. my wife, she has a library card and such! :)

Rhino, I so expected more from you... But on the same token, I expected nothing less. So you have THAT going for you. (in seriousness, it made sense. in the abstract, it's scarier than in the present)

fwiw, I am a party puker. I've done all sorts of (non gory blood stuff) with my kids... puke, is not one of them.

I forget if you mentioned it in your original message, but have you ever experienced or seen a serious injury with bleeding or something poking out that shouldn't be? Ultimately you won't know how you'll react until it happens. The more you know before, and the more you rehearse the steps, the more mental resources you will have available to manage the stress.

In 2009 when I split my head open (don't forget the topic on here with the photos!), there was blood everywhere after I was aware of my surroundings again. I did 100% of the first aid (applying pressure, monitor for shock, etc) myself because none of the 40 people in the room were either able or willing to help me (the blood may have deterred them). I recall that as I was pressing on my head with the bandana, I had two concerns: 1) I was pi**ed I left my IBD in my truck and didn't have it when I needed it, and 2) I wanted to minimize the panic in the room. I cracked jokes and talked to the students while we were waiting for the emergency responders.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Like many I'm not squeamish to blood, gore with animals. Even blood gore with humans don't bother me. Needles, surgeries, broken bones are what get me the most. Needles and surgeries gross me out more than broken bones. I've tried getting over that, but it only got worse.

However, I've found that in the situation someone else is hurt all that seems to go out the window. Idk, I usually think of the injuries that people lived through before we had the medical system we do today. You know, tribal warfare kind of stuff. If they could, surely I can set aside my squeamishness to provide immediate aid. Kind of a weird thing to think about at that time.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Like many I'm not squeamish to blood, gore with animals. Even blood gore with humans don't bother me. Needles, surgeries, broken bones are what get me the most. Needles and surgeries gross me out more than broken bones. I've tried getting over that, but it only got worse.

Same here. I think it's the thinking of "ouch that hurts" and then you, or at least I, start to almost feel it yourself. Kinda like how a husband can sometimes have a "sympathetic pregnancy."

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    I grew up on a hog farm. We butchered in the front yard. Sledge hammer works best. Then cut the throat to bleed out.

I do not like human autopsy footage whether fake or real. The smell of vomit gags me.

Use Vicks on your nose to mask bad smells!

Last edited:

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Same here. I think it's the thinking of "ouch that hurts" and then you, or at least I, start to almost feel it yourself. Kinda like how a husband can sometimes have a "sympathetic pregnancy."

For me that's the exactly how it feels. I remember in high school I went to watch my gf get her navel pierced, I had to lay down because I got nauseous and dizzy. Mainly because it felt like a needle in my navel, I get something similar with surgeries usually at a simple mention of them, or if I see in in a movie or TV.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    For me that's the exactly how it feels. I remember in high school I went to watch my gf get her navel pierced, I had to lay down because I got nauseous and dizzy. Mainly because it felt like a needle in my navel, I get something similar with surgeries usually at a simple mention of them, or if I see in in a movie or TV.

My wife hates watching House with me because I'm always sitting there saying "ouch" and wincing.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I pierced mine myself, on my lunch hour. No blood, just lots of sweat, making it difficult to pinch the skin and continue pushing the needle through, and the skin was super tough trying to push out the other side.
    But stuff like drawing blood, or arterial spray, and I start focusing on my own heart pumping blood, and it gets louder in my head, and I get weaker in the knees as I feel the pressure of the blood in the veins... grosses me out.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Damn Kid....McMod will chew you up and spit you out. (as long as you're not spitting up blood)

I put my fishnet stockings on like everyone else... one leg at a time! ;)
    Besides, I wouldn't have created this thread if I didn't expect some form of ridicule... struggling through it, and ain't above ego to work it out afterall. :)

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    When my wife had our second child I was able to watch the c-section. It was pretty cool. The first time I wasn't able to watch. The dr. Said no. I didn't think it was that bad but then again seeing my son come out made every thing else not really matter.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    There were many things prior to the birth of our son I could not watch. The birth of him, or the epidural, no problem. Episiotomy, HUGE problem.
    I refused to hold him until he was on my wife's chest.... I was afraid I'd hurt him or endanger him.
    it surprised me the things that happen during child birth...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I pierced mine myself, on my lunch hour. No blood, just lots of sweat, making it difficult to pinch the skin and continue pushing the needle through, and the skin was super tough trying to push out the other side.
    But stuff like drawing blood, or arterial spray, and I start focusing on my own heart pumping blood, and it gets louder in my head, and I get weaker in the knees as I feel the pressure of the blood in the veins... grosses me out.

What on God's Green Earth would possess you to do that?!!

Oy!

Top Bottom