• How long have you been Ocing?

• Total voters

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Seeing the thread about Chipotle "banning" guns reminded me that it was MDA's campaign against them back in May that finally tipped me over the edge to actually open carry. I have been carrying a weapon since 2009 and I initially thought that carrying a weapon to defend myself was my business and mine alone. Moms Demand Action proved to me that no matter how nice I play by concealing, I will never be left alone until Bloomberg and his minions have succeeded in completely banning guns from public life. So, while I now conceal my weapon because of winter weather, I will probably be open carrying in summer from now on.

My reasons to open carry are:

1. Deterrent effect
    2. Comfort
    3. Draw speed
    4. 2nd Amendment Educational Opportunity
    5. Pride in my ability as a private citizen to carry a weapon.

The first three things will probably matter more in an actual self-defense scenario. The final two things are probably what come into play the most in my daily open carry activities.

So, this brings me to the point of the poll. How long have you been open carrying? You can put down your reasons if you wish but I am more curious as to how long people have been open carrying. In my opinion, the interest in all things gun-related took off after President Obama was elected. I believe the open carry movement received two major boosts: the antigun rhetoric post-Sandy Hook and this summer's campaign by Moms Demand Action. For me, summer of 2014 was when I started and I had no problems whatsoever from my handgun being so visible.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'd have to go look at my old posts on here to see WHEN I started, exactly. been a few years. I'm more of a JFC - open or concealed.

#1 reason to OC - I really don't care if it is concealed or not. Not my job to make random folks on the street comfortable. I carry how it is convenient for me.

The fact that OC is a deterrent for some, and a conversation starter for others, is a bonus.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Never have a day in my life, this isn't the wild west. Now concealed on the other hand. Thus why I have two permits.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    When i first started carrying, it was always CC and always IWB. As my waist line started to grow, IWB just wasn't comfortable anymore, so I started carrying OWB concealed. After some time I just got to the point of JFC. I think it was somewhere around 2009 that I began OC most of the time.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I started when I realized that I hated IWB holsters.
    Me too. I don't remember when I started OCing for the sake of OCing, but I've used an OWB holster for a while. I started carrying back in '99 or so. I think I switched to an OWB in '04-ish. Went exclusively OC shortly thereafter. So well before the 2011 time stamp. Clinton was a pretty powerful motivator too, but not quite like Obama. Maybe it's because people didn't actually think it could get as bad as it did.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm going to give it a try, as soon as I have an appropriate holster. (A left-handed, OWB retention holster for a Ruger SR9c is surprisingly difficult to find.)

Top Bottom