How long before things go south if the SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My guy, you're seriously telling me you haven't had a problem in your life? Lost your job for an extended period of time? To be honest you sound really ignorant of how rough regular life can be for some of us.

Most of the stuff I do isn't for end of the world as we know, but for stupid stuff like I lost my job because the economy sucks. I get that you're 61 and things have been relatively good for you, but most of us have had personal emergencies that made us this way or maybe emergencies that our preps have at the very least made life better during those times. Man I live very rural, so my power goes out a couple times during the winter and for several days at a time during spring because of the storms. Having some things set aside so I don't have to use the grill in the cold to cook has been really nice. These things don't make me paranoid, they make me smart to realize that not everything goes my way.
    We have a total electric house. Second winter we were there power went out while we were drifted in. Nothing was moving until the v-plow made its way down our road. We realized we needed something to help us if that happened again (and it did). We started with kerosene heaters until finding good clean K1 became difficult. So we installed a 36k btu propane fireplace, we bought a 10k generator to power the well, fridges, freezer and cook with.

It’s not paranoia when it actually happens to you repeatedly. Continuing to ignore it and do nothing to prep for those things is beyond idiotic and probably means you vote D.

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    We have a total electric house. Second winter we were there power went out while we were drifted in. Nothing was moving until the v-plow made its way down our road. We realized we needed something to help us if that happened again (and it did). We started with kerosene heaters until finding good clean K1 became difficult. So we installed a 36k btu propane fireplace, we bought a 10k generator to power the well, fridges, freezer and cook with.

It’s not paranoia when it actually happens to you repeatedly. Continuing to ignore it and do nothing to prep for those things is beyond idiotic and probably means you vote D.
    And that is why I said this guy is ignorant of how rough life can be for some of us cause obviously not for him.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I haven't had a flat tire in decades. So yes, I would have to deem your "preparedness" as paranoia.
    People these days are just too skittish and afraid of their own shadow.
    In the 61 years I've been living, I've never lived in, or owned, a house that has burned down or been destroyed by a natural disaster.
    In all that time, my life has never been in danger from another person.
    Come on preppers... relax.
    View attachment 317251
    Was this post supposed to be in purple? I guess there is just no way I would McGoo my way through life….. but I guess it works for some people. I see it as irresponsible especially if you have others depending on you.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Was this post supposed to be in purple? I guess there is just no way I would McGoo my way through life….. but I guess it works for some people.
    Some people have all the luck. I am not one of those people. I’ve been fortunate to be aware enough most times to keep from getting too far into trouble. But believe me Mr Murphy has my number.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Some people have all the luck. I am not one of those people. I’ve been fortunate to be aware enough most times to keep from getting too far into trouble. But believe me Mr Murphy has my number.
    Had a friend yesterday 40yo good paycheck company cc vehicle gas card vacation time flexible hours phone insurance etc hardly had to work…. Been doing that for 10 ish years…. And before that he was also at a “blessed” lucky job. Horseshoe crammed straight up his keister…. Yesterday company shut down no warning nothing lost everything not a prepper or a saver owned none of his stuff pay check to pay check…..

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Had a friend yesterday 40yo good paycheck company cc vehicle gas card vacation time flexible hours phone insurance etc hardly had to work…. Been doing that for 10 ish years…. And before that he was also at a “blessed” lucky job. Horseshoe crammed straight up his keister…. Yesterday company shut down no warning nothing lost everything not a prepper or a saver owned none of his stuff pay check to pay check…..
    I get it. I’m glad to have married my wife. She’s the one that put me on the right path to financial freedom. Now we are late 40’s, new cars with no payments and no mortgage. But we didn’t get here overnight and definitely not by McGoo’ing it.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    By the end of the first week it will get exciting. My main weakness will be heart medication. Once I run out of that it'll only be a matter of time.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I think it’ll take a bit longer than most here depending on the situation. If it were a solar event/ emp deal, the normalcy bias would hold most people back from getting too worried. There are the groups that would riot and rage but I think that will be more localized to their own neighborhoods. My concern is when to bug out. I think my neighborhood just outside I-465 would more band together for a couple weeks before we started having outside troubles. I don’t believe I’d still be here that long though. I’ve always kept my gas cans and tanks fairly full, at least enough to get where I think I’ll want to go.
    Apocalyptic fiction has been my primary reading for the last couple decades. I’ve read most of the classics along with many of the newer authors. Every book I read gives a few different ideas and approaches to what you may encounter and how you might deal with it. I didn’t serve in the military but my brother was a lifer with some combat experience and we’ve talked a lot about his experiences and thoughts.
    So many variables and situations, all you can do is prepare for what you have already experienced and what you can envision.
    When or if it happens in my lifetime, I will likely be in that middle group of keep my head down and try to muddle through. While I am a pretty good shot with a rifle, I know I’m slower and less athletically gifted than the average guy so I figure I’ll end up on the losing side of an ammo exchange!

I’d really like to ride out my retirement bitching about liberals and politicians while living the comfortable life we have carved out!

Matt

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Based on every catastrophe I have seen in my lifetime the Gov will just expand its over reach and declare martial law. Every person on the gov payroll that carries a gun will chose their jobs and pensions over standing down during over reach. Anyone who mows some trespasser down will be over run by gov agents making an example of him just like the J6ers. What leads you guys to believe there is something coming that will differ from this? You must have some idea of what the events will be so would you please share what they will be and why the Gov won't just take more control over anything?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    By the end of the first week it will get exciting. My main weakness will be heart medication. Once I run out of that it'll only be a matter of time.
    How many of us are either stockpiling regular drugs/ our prescriptions, or looking into renewable substitutes?
    My wife started growing herbs this year. She did the research on what herbs can mimic pharmaceuticals.

Maybe snake oil, maybe not? Maybe the only choice you have, when there is no choice?

There are folks out there (a lot of them doctors) that believe that dietary choices can eliminate a lot of medical conditions and medications needed to "maintain" them.

Just say'n, might be worth a look? Even if you don't fix the ailment that ultimately kills you, maybe you'll have a less than miserable time getting there?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Based on every catastrophe I have seen in my lifetime the Gov will just expand its over reach and declare martial law. Every person on the gov payroll that carries a gun will chose their jobs and pensions over standing down during over reach. Anyone who mows some trespasser down will be over run by gov agents making an example of him just like the J6ers. What leads you guys to believe there is something coming that will differ from this? You must have some idea of what the events will be so would you please share what they will be and why the Gov won't just take more control over anything?

:)

1701995059084.png

These days, maybe two...

;)

Top Bottom