How long before things go south if the SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sure, buddy.

Pepperidge Farms remembers...

View attachment 317393
    Even the Canucks got into the fun. Preacher who defied lockdowns and screamed at .gov agents to get out of his church when they tried to shut him down.

This was the cause for his arrest. He dared scream at federal agents and continue to worship in person. Seems legit.

The did a felony stop months later and arrested him in the middle of the freeway like he was an active shooter or something.

eebe1f8a-22d1-4058-91ea-cf8bfa377d3a.jpg

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I saw the post of the guy that had nothing happen. Good for you. Hope that trend continues.

In the last ten years...

I died on an operating table, they brought me back from heart surgery from a blown mitral valve. I was off work for 4 months with with only a little more than a week to get ready for surgery. Was bought out and took 4 months to get a new job after a merger, delt with significant identity theft from a hotel clerk in California that took my identity and ran up nearly $250,000 in debt, had a four year journey taking care of my in-laws who lost it all in a tornado and a brother in law who stole most of what they had while we were caring for them.

On a positive note, we found a miracle drug for my wife that change her life, but at best can keep a two month supply of the injections on hand.

life can be cruel, everyone should have some level of preparations at home.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Wife's had 3 flat tires in the last 2 years. I've had to put out fires in the garage. Your disdain for simple preparations for common issues is a bit concerning. "It never happened to me so no one needs to do that" is one of the silliest responses I've seen in a long time. You were obviously NOT a Boy Scout in those 61 years.
    Or to their ancestors, or to their descendants. Probably doesn’t have auto insurance. Because you have it. But he’s on a gun friendly web site. Why should he own a gun? Gotta be a D.

add: *, now I gotta go check all the fire extinguishers dates.

By the end of the first week it will get exciting. My main weakness will be heart medication. Once I run out of that it'll only be a matter of time.
    We/I refill our prescription at the first possible day. Giving us 3 extra days of scrip meds. After doing this for years we now have a fair surplus.

Based on every catastrophe I have seen in my lifetime the Gov will just expand its over reach and declare martial law. Every person on the gov payroll that carries a gun will chose their jobs and pensions over standing down during over reach. Anyone who mows some trespasser down will be over run by gov agents making an example of him just like the J6ers. What leads you guys to believe there is something coming that will differ from this? You must have some idea of what the events will be so would you please share what they will be and why the Gov won't just take more control over anything?
    It’s the catastrophe you don’t see that kills your whole family.

In a SHTF situation there won’t be a Gov. Please read a book or something, your absolute lack of knowledge makes your posts sound…..well not good.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    add: *, now I gotta go check all the fire extinguishers dates.
    No you dont. For residential use, just make sure the needle is still in the green. That is all that is required. But just in case, tap the base of the extinguisher on the ground and then shake it a bit in all directions every 5 years or so. There have been instances of ancient ABC units caking up after sitting unmolested for a decade or more. (not necessary for the one in your trunk)

If you want to be extra cautious, Replace them every 12-15 years if they are cheap plastic head units. once again, not a requirement. (It has to do with hydrostatic pressure testing requirements, but only applicable for commercial use)

And only metal head units are worth testing. Plastic head units are considered disposable.

Unless they are one of these. Then follow the recall for a free extinguisher. Just dont keep the old one.*

*It can catastrophically fail, causing the plastic head to separate from the cylinder, filling your house, car, etc with ABC powder. (Which you will be cleaning up for months from every nook and cranny)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In a SHTF situation there won’t be a Gov. Please read a book or something, your absolute lack of knowledge makes your posts sound…..well not good.
    Actually, at first there will be. It will take a little time for them to wither away. But expect them to try enforcing things like martial law until they just cant.
    I suspect they will be the first wave of what we have to contend with. But it wont last long as the boots on the ground fade away and tend to their own families.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Actually, at first there will be. It will take a little time for them to wither away. But expect them to try enforcing things like martial law until they just cant.
    I suspect they will be the first wave of what we have to contend with. But it wont last long as the boots on the ground fade away and tend to their own families.
    Actually, I’m counting on county LEO for my first line of defense. I’m also seeing martial law to be more of a Fed. or State. sanctioned type of event. In my low density human environment situation almost everyone has either a county or town marshal as a neighbor.

I don’t worry about having to contend with them as much as I worry about watching their backs as much as them watching mine. Withering away never crossed my mind. In a true SHTF situation, in my view anyway it’s the good people vs the bad people. And I don’t care what political party the good guys are part of. JMO of course.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Or to their ancestors, or to their descendants. Probably doesn’t have auto insurance. Because you have it. But he’s on a gun friendly web site. Why should he own a gun? Gotta be a D.
    I do have car insurance on every vehicle I own, as well as insurance on my house, never said I didn't.
    I also carry spare tires in all my vehicles, never said I didn't.
    All my life I have "saved for a rainy day".
    And there's a reason why I joined a forum named "Indiana Gun Owners".

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Actually, I’m counting on county LEO for my first line of defense. I’m also seeing martial law to be more of a Fed. or State. sanctioned type of event. In my low density human environment situation almost everyone has either a county or town marshal as a neighbor.

I don’t worry about having to contend with them as much as I worry about watching their backs as much as them watching mine. Withering away never crossed my mind. In a true SHTF situation, in my view anyway it’s the good people vs the bad people. And I don’t care what political party the good guys are part of. JMO of course.
    In a true SHTF situation the line blurs between the good guys and the bad guys. If you don’t think you have to become a bad guy to survive, you need to flush out your headgear.

And if you take what I’m saying, literally without truly understanding it, you have some research to do.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    No you dont. For residential use, just make sure the needle is still in the green. That is all that is required. But just in case, tap the base of the extinguisher on the ground and then shake it a bit in all directions every 5 years or so. There have been instances of ancient ABC units caking up after sitting unmolested for a decade or more. (not necessary for the one in your trunk)

If you want to be extra cautious, Replace them every 12-15 years if they are cheap plastic head units. once again, not a requirement. (It has to do with hydrostatic pressure testing requirements, but only applicable for commercial use)

And only metal head units are worth testing. Plastic head units are considered disposable.

Unless they are one of these. Then follow the recall for a free extinguisher. Just dont keep the old one.*

*It can catastrophically fail, causing the plastic head to separate from the cylinder, filling your house, car, etc with ABC powder. (Which you will be cleaning up for months from every nook and cranny)
    Thanks: most if not all of ours are metal and small, maybe 2 gallons in size, if that. Maybe one gallon. One or two in each barn. One in the garage, One in the mud room. One in the kitchen.

We built our house with firefighting in mind. Extra large water pump motor, extra large pipes, one hydrant, hose bib on each side of the house. (4) One in the garage. Two freeze free hydrants out doors, one near the garden, one near the cattle pasture. Lots of hose, lots. Stand alone whole house ginny. Dual fuel compatibility. LP, gasoline. Piggy backed LP tanks. All of our FD are volunteers. Closest paid FD is 20 minutes away.

After your post, I’ll not worry about those extinguishers now. Thanks again.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I do have car insurance on every vehicle I own, as well as insurance on my house, never said I didn't.
    I also carry spare tires in all my vehicles, never said I didn't.
    All my life I have "saved for a rainy day".
    And there's a reason why I joined a forum named "Indiana Gun Owners".
    Well good for you, you win the internet. :lmfao:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    In a true SHTF situation the line blurs between the good guys and the bad guys. If you don’t think you have to become a bad guy to survive, you need to flush out your headgear.

And if you take what I’m saying, literally without truly understanding it, you have some research to do.
    Agreed about the blurred lines. I do consider myself to be a fair judge of character. I’ve been in situations that required becoming the bad guy (in others opinions).

Having sat on both sides of that fence is what gives me the absolute ability to make the statement I made.

Research???….…:lmfao:….:lmfao:

Have a great evening sir.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I haven't had a flat tire in decades. So yes, I would have to deem your "preparedness" as paranoia.
    People these days are just too skittish and afraid of their own shadow.
    In the 61 years I've been living, I've never lived in, or owned, a house that has burned down or been destroyed by a natural disaster.
    In all that time, my life has never been in danger from another person.
    Come on preppers... relax.
    View attachment 317251
    You must be leading a charmed life because I’ve had three flat tires in five years on my mower, I have a woods surrounding my property and they are loaded with thorn trees that I seem to find with regularity. I had a buddy traveling out west, Wyoming to be exact, and they had a flat. The spare tire which most people I’m guessing ignore was waaay under-inflated. He did have an inflator which was a blessing because they were 30 miles from the nearest town. I logged all of that into my memory bank and if either scenario unfolds I’m prepared. I’m damn sure not skittish but as far as being scared of my own shadow that’s probably reasonable because my shadow scares me as well. FYI, at the time of this post I’m fully relaxed.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    You must be leading a charmed life because I’ve had three flat tires in five years on my mower, I have a woods surrounding my property and they are loaded with thorn trees that I seem to find with regularity. I had a buddy traveling out west, Wyoming to be exact, and they had a flat. The spare tire which most people I’m guessing ignore was waaay under-inflated. He did have an inflator which was a blessing because they were 30 miles from the nearest town. I logged all of that into my memory bank and if either scenario unfolds I’m prepared. I’m damn sure not skittish but as far as being scared of my own shadow that’s probably reasonable because my shadow scares me as well. FYI, at the time of this post I’m fully relaxed.
    I’m attempting at this time to calculate the number of tires here, I can’t remember a time when I didn’t have a flat tire somewhere. * this morning when I went to check the mail I had to inflate a tire on the golf cart.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    This is one of the reasons, among many, to meet your local sheriff and police. Both formally and informally. You need to assess whether they are likely to just "follow orders", or will ask themselves if those orders are constitutionally defensible.

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Please remember that the roman empire had tax collectors going about north africa collecting taxes for centuries after rome had fallen. Just because the government has withered to an extent where they no longer hold a big stick, the memory of the stick can keep hurting the civilians, and they keep handing taxes over to groups who had been tax collectors with the power of empire generations ago.

JamesTWheeler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2023
    Westport
    Please remember that the roman empire had tax collectors going about north africa collecting taxes for centuries after rome had fallen. Just because the government has withered to an extent where they no longer hold a big stick, the memory of the stick can keep hurting the civilians, and they keep handing taxes over to groups who had been tax collectors with the power of empire generations ago.
    This is a good point. If the government is gone, then there will be various groups and people that will take and keep power by any means. History shows that most of these will not be beneficial to ordinary people.

Old Road Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2022
    Gowdy
    It only took TWO days for New Orleans to devolve into anarchy after Katrina. If you can find it watch the TV Docudrama "The Day After" or go to my favorite "Escape From New York"(1987). The aftermath of Katrina changed my whole mindset. Hell, watch "Customer Wars" on A&E for a sample. Some folks can't even go through a Buffet Line without a melee....

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    It only took TWO days for New Orleans to devolve into anarchy after Katrina. If you can find it watch the TV Docudrama "The Day After" or go to my favorite "Escape From New York"(1987). The aftermath of Katrina changed my whole mindset. Hell, watch "Customer Wars" on A&E for a sample. Some folks can't even go through a Buffet Line without a melee....
    I was 14 when Katrina happened and it was a major impact on my views. I have family in the area that were displaced from it. My parents and I went down to help tear out drywall from their place after the area was safe again. Grocery stores had just started coming back to the area and MREs were still being given out since food was still not 100% secure. Life changing for me and I wasn't even there.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It depends on the situation. If there is still hope, I don’t think it’ll get too crazy. If people are hopeful it’s a temporary situation and the government will come save them, then it’ll take a while before people really go Mad Max. Even with Katrina we found out later the reports of widespread violence and chaos were overblown. Some people used it as an opportunity for destruction but the majority did not.

Ultimately, the lone wolves won’t make it long. If it’s just you and your wife in the middle of the woods, you’re in trouble. The ones who will survive long-term will be the ones with a community of like-minded people who can pool skills and resources. You can’t physically store enough food and water to last a long time. You need a community. One of the worst punishments throughout ancient history was to be ostracized by the community. We are designed to work together.

Top Bottom