• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Valuable lessons learned:

1) Wearing a hoody is a universal sign for someone about to perpetrate evil. Fact.
    2) High schoolers are brightness and sunshine getting on the bus. Unless they are about to perpetrate evil. Fact.
    3) Active shooters will attempt to shoot over or around someone attempting to intervene. Fact.

Questions to ponder:

1) It's just a 1911. We all know that it doesn't have enough capacity to be effective. What's everyone so worried about?
    2) No arm punch or groin kick?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Valuable lessons learned:

1) Wearing a hoody is a universal sign for someone about to perpetrate evil. Fact.
    2) High schoolers are brightness and sunshine getting on the bus. Unless they are about to perpetrate evil. Fact.
    3) Active shooters will attempt to shoot over or around someone attempting to intervene. Fact.

Questions to ponder:

1) It's just a 1911. We all know that it doesn't have enough capacity to be effective. What's everyone so worried about?
    2) No arm punch or groin kick?
    THUUUUNDER PUUUUUUUUNCH.

Now I have to search to see how many busses were involved in active shooter situations in the last decade. I'm not doubting it could happen and I'm not saying one should not be prepared but I'm curious.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Unfortunately, a lot of people take it that way. Wearing a hoody that is.

If it is cold outside then I don't pay much attention to hoodies.

If it is warm outside or the wearer is inside then I pay attention to anyone with their hood up trying to cover their face. Wearing a hood in warm weather is strange and attracts my attention. Wearing a hood inside is rude and attracts my attention. By hood I mean the head covering not the sweater portion. :twocents:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I'm just wondering how many "Training Video's" the State Police have made teaching an unarmed Police Officer to make a Kamikaze attack on an armed shooter? I would bet the number is less than 1! I would bet their advice would be much different instructing an officer. However I think they insist or encourage all officers to carry at all times. While I have great respect for the police, I think this video is pretty stupid other than rocking the bus. That might make the shooter miss and or fall.

However, I seriously doubt the driver could then (1) Stop the bus, (2) Get out of the seat and (3) Make his/her way to the shooter when most students would be trying to escape, and certainly some would be in the drivers way. Odds are the shooter would recover and have plenty of time to shoot the threat (the driver) long before the driver reached him. In my opinion the reality is that the only good solution is to train and arm all bus drivers and teachers.

The other issue is that I haven't heard of any shootings that have occurred in the US involving students on school buses. Is this a fictitious solution for a non-existent problem??

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A shooting in Alabama a little over a year ago resulted in the death of the school bus driver. I believe it was a domestic/custody issue.

That is the major reason all school bus drivers are being trained on active shooter situations in this summer training. Including being aware of surroundings and driving on if things don't look right.

This is not the video school bus drivers are seeing that the IN DOE has on their website. The video I saw was three times as long and covered multiple scenarios. And realistic responses.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'd rather stop, turn around in my seat, and pick my shot. One of those times when the wrong hand is the right one.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    How IN bus drivers are told to respond to active shooters
    Is it the 'typical liberal-loon tactic': Roll up in a ball, beg the scumbag not to hurt them while crying about the 'wife & kids' HOPING for something 'sympathy' while some psychotic, murderous lunatic randomly shoots some kid(s)? :dunno:

Oh, wait. I watched it. Wait until the scumbag as has shot and/or killed a few kids, THEN maybe do something.

I guess that works. UNLESS you're one of the kids shot, or their parents.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A shooting in Alabama a little over a year ago resulted in the death of the school bus driver. I believe it was a domestic/custody issue.

That is the major reason all school bus drivers are being trained on active shooter situations in this summer training. Including being aware of surroundings and driving on if things don't look right.

This is not the video school bus drivers are seeing that the IN DOE has on their website. The video I saw was three times as long and covered multiple scenarios. And realistic responses.

Is it excerpts? A fraud? One that was submitted and rejected? I sincerely hope the real one is better.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Is it excerpts? A fraud? One that was submitted and rejected? I sincerely hope the real one is better.

I think the video in this thread is an old one that was used in the initial school bus training a couple of years ago.

The video I and all other school bus drivers viewed in the 2014 online safety meeting in June was longer and offered some real advice on this possibility. There is no reason for me to post any further on a public forum those details.

Plans are in place. Pray they are never needed. The threat has everybody's attention.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think the video in this thread is an old one that was used in the initial school bus training a couple of years ago.

The video I and all other school bus drivers viewed in the 2014 online safety meeting in June was longer and offered some real advice on this possibility. There is no reason for me to post any further on a public forum
    Is it a secret video? I'd be interested to hear what is in it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Is it a secret video? I'd be interested to hear what is in it.

Contact the transportation director of your school district if you want details on their active shooter plan. It is a restricted distribution video.

If you have kids who ride a school bus, you are already part of the plan. Probably. I only know for sure what my district's plan is.

Top Bottom