How do you carry? Condition 1, empty chamber, etc?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I have a Glock 19 and I carry with a round in the chamber. When I first started carrying, I had an empty chamber. I did this only until I felt comfortable carrying a loaded weapon. If there were an actual 'safety', then I may have carried loaded from Day 1.

I carry this way because an empty weapon is equal to a rock. The only upside I can see to carrying with an empty chamber is if your weapon is taken, you will have that much more time to get the hell out of there or try to get it back.

How do you carry and why? Do you carry with one in the chamber, empty chamber, cocked and locked, dropped hammer?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A fight-for-your-life situation lasts seconds at best. Do you want to spend any of that time racking a slide?

BigE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have always carried empty chamber. I really don't know why, I just always have. Its not that I am uncomfortable with the gun being loaded, I have just always preferred to carry empty chamber. I probably should carry with one in the hole though. The XD has enough nice safety features that I would feel fine doin so.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    loaded chamber, hammer cocked

Been doing it that way for almost 20 years. Never seen a gun fire without a finger on the trigger pulling toward the frame so I figure its not going to jump out of the holster and fire by itself. It was designed to be carried that way, so that is what I do.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Care to elaborate?

That recent thread about the two punks that tried to rob the pawn shop is a good example. The whole incident lasted *maybe* five seconds. That has to cover not only time to evaluate the situation, but also to draw and (if not already done) rack (or otherwise ready your weapon).

Is it possible that you'll see trouble coming far enough off to not only give you time to draw, but to draw and rack? Of course it is. It's far more likely that you'll be in a seconds-count situation though.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    That recent thread about the two punks that tried to rob the pawn shop is a good example. The whole incident lasted *maybe* five seconds. That has to cover not only time to evaluate the situation, but also to draw and (if not already done) rack (or otherwise ready your weapon).

Is it possible that you'll see trouble coming far enough off to not only give you time to draw, but to draw and rack? Of course it is. It's far more likely that you'll be in a seconds-count situation though.
    I meant that more as, how do you carry...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

:+1:

It should also be pointed out that most shootings occur at very close range so if you are literally 6 to 12 feet away from someone and you have a gun with an empty chamber then you are really going to be in a tough situation if they continue to approach while you draw because in the time it takes to draw they MAY be in contact with you and you may need your weak hand to hold them back . . . how will you rack the slide if your weak hand is otherwise occupied fighting them off?

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    [scarymovie] Let me use my strong hand[/scarymovie]

That is all.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I dont have my CCW yet but I like what rizzo said when I asked him if he carries with 1 in the chamber. Saying an empty gun is just an expensive rock. I would want all the time I could if SHTF.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    One in the chamber, no safety. M&P internal trigger safety, or DA first pull on other guns.

Story - I once was carrying my Kahr MK-40 without one in the pipe going to a movie. The movie was the only place I as going, so I just did not bother. My wife and I watched the "scary" movie and then headed to our car parked in the back 40 of the lot at night. My wife does not like my carrying very much, but on the way to the car she asked if my gun was loaded. Spooked I suppose from the movie. I said sorta, I would have to chamber a round first. She asked how long that would take. Thinking, I said that it would probably take too long if I needed it. She said that was stupid, and I agree. This came from a person who is not comfortable with guns, and even she knows it's dumb to carry on an empty chamber! :):

PS - I'm working on her, she does not mind that much anymore but she does still not "like" them around.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    One in the chamber.
    Safety ON if the gun has one.

Here's the kicker: GASP! I go against nearly all gunboard advice and carry 1911 style pistols with one in the chamber and the hammer down. Condition Two, I think the knowledgable call it............. :D

My father taught me that, and he was taught that by the Army during WW2.

So.............. There it is.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    +1 for Glock 19 with a round chambered.

Like melensdad said, fighting for your life is down and dirty business. My weak hand will probably be busy defending against the attack and not have much time for slide-racking.

[sarcasm] Or maybe I could rack it off my boot like I read in a magazine. . . [/sarcasm]

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I go against nearly all gunboard advice and carry 1911 style pistols with one in the chamber and the hammer down. Condition Two, I think the knowledgable call it............. :D
    I'm not trying to argue with you, nor am I going to post a follow up, but I think this needs to be said. What you are doing is potentially very dangerous. Depending on the variant of 1911 you own, it may or may not have a firing pin interlock or an extra heavy firing pin spring (which is really only a marginal solution at best). Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch owner and expert instructor wrote this:
    Condition Two: Dangerous And Awkward

In Condition Two, the pistol has a cartridge in the chamber and a full magazine in place. When a 1911 is carried in Condition Two, the thumb safety is off and the hammer is down. The grip safety is still in place but does not come into play until the hammer is brought back for firing.

This Condition of Carry offers the dual disadvantage of being both dangerous and awkward. To bring the pistol into action, the operator must first cock the hammer to the rear, making this method of operation slower than the "cocked-and-locked" method of Condition One. Furthermore, Condition Two could be dangerous if the hammer slips during the risky "dropping" process or if the gun itself is accidentally dropped while in this hammer-down mode. This mode of carry is not recommended under any circumstances.​
    By the way, the military does not teach Condition 2 carry any longer and has not for a few decades. They do teach both Condition 1 and Condition 3, depending on the troops using the guns and the situation.

Top Bottom