How do you carry? Condition 1, empty chamber, etc?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I have a Glock 19 and I carry with a round in the chamber. When I first started carrying, I had an empty chamber. I did this only until I felt comfortable carrying a loaded weapon. If there were an actual 'safety', then I may have carried loaded from Day 1.

I thought exactly like you did for the longest time, now I feel safe with it

G17 with one in pipe, and a spare mag somewhere on me, just in case the srhtf

on a side note, I've heard both ways, in a glock, should you carry max capacity or down one(example 17+1 or 16+1???)

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I thought exactly like you did for the longest time, now I feel safe with it

G17 with one in pipe, and a spare mag somewhere on me, just in case the srhtf

on a side note, I've heard both ways, in a glock, should you carry max capacity or down one(example 17+1 or 16+1???)

What were the reasons given for carrying down one? Just curious.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    XD .40 about as close to condition zero as I can get. (from what I read) One in the chamber, no manual safties, but my grip and trigger are on. (DUH)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What is condition zero?

I think that he would actually be referring to the highest state of readiness possible, but mistakenly called it Condition Zero. It would be, in gun nomenclature, Condition One that he is actually carrying his gun.

Some people think that Condition One refers to 1911 pistols where Condition On is a bullet in the chamber, cocked, thumb safety on. So people who own guns without a manual thumb safety (like a Glock or an XD) would say they don't have to flip off the thumb safety so they are in a different state of readiness, hence the mistaken concept of Condition Zero.

Condition One is most generally considered to be one in the chamber and the gun ready to fire.

On a 1911 that would be commonly called "Cocked & Locked." On a Springfield XD or Glock, that would simply be a round in the chamber. On a Sig or Smith & Wesson DA/SA that would be round in the chamber, typically hammer down. In any event, all those guns are actually ready to fire. But all are different. My S&W DA/SA pistol can be carried cocked. Or can be carried hammer down safety off. Or hammer down safety on. But as long as there is a round in the chamber it is considered to be Condition One because it is ready to be deployed from the holster and fired. When you holster a Glock or an XD you have the gun ready to fire as long as there is a round in the chamber, there are safeties in place that you disconnect as you grip (on the XD) and draw the weapon when you apply finger pressure to the trigger. It is a misunderstanding to say that the grip safety on an XD, a 1911 or other gun is not a manual safety, in fact it is. Just like a "safe action" trigger is a manual safety; it is simply disconnected differently than a manual safety that is installed on a CZ or Walther PPK or many other guns.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Nighthawk, thanks for adding the 1911 specific information in that link. My post above yours was intended to be more generic toward all guns, but your link does a great job of explaining the conditions, far better than I did.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Condition one on my 1911s. I always carry with one in the chamber. DA/SA = no safety (if it has one) hammer decocked.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Nighthawk, thanks for adding the 1911 specific information in that link. My post above yours was intended to be more generic toward all guns, but your link does a great job of explaining the conditions, far better than I did.

Anytime. Your post reminded me that I had that link saved, so I thought I would share.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    It should also be pointed out that most shootings occur at very close range so if you are literally 6 to 12 feet away from someone and you have a gun with an empty chamber then you are really going to be in a tough situation if they continue to approach while you draw because in the time it takes to draw they MAY be in contact with you and you may need your weak hand to hold them back . . . how will you rack the slide if your weak hand is otherwise occupied fighting them off?

Plus many other options. Your strong hand is disabled and you are reaching behind you back to weak hand draw. Every scenario, except loosing your pistol, leans to one in the pipe.

Two in the chamber.

For some reason I have a picture of someone walking around stiff legged, concealing a double barrel scatter gun down one leg. :):

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    What were the reasons given for carrying down one? Just curious.
    I have heard of some g17's jamming the second round when in 17+1 I have only encountered this problem once, and I think it is more applicable to the non factory magazines, good thing I threw away my non-factory one....metal lined ftw:rockwoot:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Another reason is just laziness (which is a valid reason :) ). Much easier to put in a full mag and drop the slide. You don't have to take out the mag and put in another round.

Top Bottom