How do I handle my daughter getting bit by a pit bull.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Too lazy to read ALL of the posts so apologies if this is already determined; you said the parents were aware of the aggressive nature of the dog, were you? If so then you bear some responsibility. . .

Obviously I'm not trying to win any popularity contests this morning.:twocents:
    Covered.

I guess I can't keep from asking - how do you know "the parents were aware of the aggressive nature of the dog." If after the incident did the parents tell you they were aware ? From your description of them they don't sound like the kind of folks that would volunteer that kind of information.

I would think if there is an indication the animal was vicious and subsequently allowed this to occur they could possibly be charged with a criminal offense (?)

The daughter who is In my daughter's class at school had told my kids they couldn't go inside the house because they have a dog who bite's. I was only told this by my kids after the fact. I didn't even know they had a dog before this happened. I would have never allowed them over there had I known.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I appreciate everyone's time. My wife couldn't believe how calm I remained . I honestly don't know either but I'm glad I took it easy and followed the law. I really wish you could see the sizes of the bite marks, I mean that in a way that people don't realize just how hard a pit bull can bite. I'm not gonna do the breed debate but I'm sure you guys that are parents know what I think. She's such an animal lover so I need to focus on the fact that dog owners can be as bad as an aggressive dog. I'm glad to know We have a great forum and the support is second to none. I'll keep you guys up on how she's doing , and I really do appreciate honest support and advice. Dan

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's not very surprising given the owners alleged actions after the fact that they would be the type that would possibly possess an aggressive type dog.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Much good advice upthread. My comment is that IMO you are dealing with low lifes and probably won't get much if any compensation for this. I expect if things get hot for them they will just skip out.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would still pursue them even if it cost me money. I would get a judgement against them, wage garnishment, whatever...

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    The mother of my daughter's friend gave my daughter a popsicle and told her not to tell me. I was on the tractor when she came home crying. As far as money I really don't care other than the medical bills. We live in a pretty rural area, basically a small neighborhood and these people are renting with multiple people living there. Constant traffic but nobody works? I would like the dog at least removed and the medical bills paid. I tried to talk to the parents after the bite but they started getting pretty defensive so I called the police and filed a report but today they were all standing in there driveway flipping me off. I'm too old for that crap so I left it alone. Just concerned about my kids and the other kids around the neighborhood.

Sounds like they are making the decision for you... lawyers and cops.

Do you own a suppressor? Lol just kidding.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Much good advice upthread. My comment is that IMO you are dealing with low lifes and probably won't get much if any compensation for this. I expect if things get hot for them they will just skip out.

That would be a plus to the area me thinks.......:yesway:

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Hello everyone. This is Mrs. Farmerdan. I would just like to thank all of you for your support and encouragement. It's helped all of us and in particular helped our daughter know she did nothing wrong and lots of people care for her. She is a tough and amazing young lady. Thank you again so very much. It's such a blessing to have such great people to talk to. Mrs. Farmerdan.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    It's a pretty expensive neighborhood and they are the only renters here. I'm sure they'll move along soon, and my kids know that it's off limits.

Having prior knowledge of this renters past and current living and personal situation should have made their place "off limits" a while ago. However, I hope it ends well with your little one.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Knowing the good members of the Ingo community like i've know it , including myself, we all wish nothing but the best for your daughter's quick recovery both physically and emotionally from such an event.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As an afterthought I would also urge buying an audio recorder, or at least making darn sure your phone audio recorder is top notch. I have a nice one from Office Depot that will record for hours.

IF they ever approach you to discuss anything make certain that you are recording. If they offer any sort of money on a "payment plan" they have potentially just admitted liability! Potentially one (1) less hoop to jump through.

If they rant and rave at your evil self for getting their dog put down you have evidence of them au naturale outside of court. I am certain the lawyers and LE could tell wonderful stories of how people acted when not in court as opposed to when they were standing in front of a jury.

Either way, it would be a small outlay of funds that has the potential to turn stormy waters into nice, smooth waters.

I am glad to hear she appears to be moving in a positive direction.

Regards,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I know I said I wouldn't post anything more about this but, so I'll leave things be but I will be keeping up on this thread just to let you guys know from time to time how she's doing. I'm pretty tired this morning. She had a pretty rough night Friday night but seemed to sleep much better last night.

Quoting from the Defense Attorney 18 monthes from now, "So, Mr. Dan, you're asking for damages and telling this court that your daughter suffered greatly for a long time AND YET you posted in a public forum that she, and I quote, '...sleep much better last night.' That last night was just ONE day later! Were you lying to INGO then or are you lying to us now???" "Your daughter didn't suffer much at all and you're just trying to profit over my clients kind and loving animal that was provoked, isn't that true?"

It is better to not say :poop: in public, then you won't have to eat a :poop:sandwich in court monthes or years later. Quotes taken out of context have been the downfall of many a litigant.

The above ^^^ is meant in the kindest possible way and no insult is intended nor meant. It is merely meant to illuminate how anything you say or post anywhere outside of speaking to LE, a prosecuting attorney or your own private civil attorney will do your position no good and may actually harm it.

Thanks for that, even if you can't post details about the rest of the case we would like to hear how she is doing.

I agree that we WANT to hear good news, but what we want could potentially REALLY hurt him in the future. We do not mean squat to his dilemma. I do hope we are all very helpful in answering his questions and providing some gems of wisdom from everyone on board, but posting now about any alleged changes in her condition will do his case no good IF he has to go to court.

I hope the ideas, advice, and support we give are all productive, but I strongly disagree with his posting any further "alleged updates" of his daughters condition, for good or ill.

Kind Regards,

Doug

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    The mother of my daughter's friend gave my daughter a popsicle and told her not to tell me. I was on the tractor when she came home crying. As far as money I really don't care other than the medical bills. We live in a pretty rural area, basically a small neighborhood and these people are renting with multiple people living there. Constant traffic but nobody works? I would like the dog at least removed and the medical bills paid. I tried to talk to the parents after the bite but they started getting pretty defensive so I called the police and filed a report but today they were all standing in there driveway flipping me off. I'm too old for that crap so I left it alone. Just concerned about my kids and the other kids around the neighborhood.

Sounds like they may be running an "unlicensed recreational pharmacy." Definitely go after the landlord and his liability insurance as well. He will likely evict them and the dog for you. Also relay the part in bold to the police. If my suspicions are true the first SWAT member through the door will take care of your dog problem and they likely won't be living there any more.
    If it get to this point be sure to smile and wave as they are being stuffed into the police cars. You might offer them all Popsicles as well.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    It sounds like you have gone though all the legal and proper procedures so far. Keep it up.

At this point -
    Don't loose your temper. Don't do something stupid.
    Flying off the handle when it first happened could have been excused (legally)but now that time has passed by it won't be. Just be careful with your actions. You don't want to loose your guns or your freedom because of being taunted into a bad situation.

After saying that, you need to protect your family, yourself and your property. People think they are safer living out in the country. Not always true. (I'd rather be out in the county though)
    Someone watching your place will know your schedules and habits no matter where you live.
    Using alarms, cameras, fences, dogs, tin cans on a string. Anything at this point short of claymores to keep you alerted will work. That helpless feeling when leaving your property or dropping your kids off at school may never go away but at least with some security in place you can have some peace of mind....eventually. It's important to get any proof if things do happen. (if cameras and/or audio recording in cars, house, on person, etc...)

Document everything, on paper as well as recordings. Yes telephone calls. It can be a pain in the butt but not as much as what your daughter took. Worth the price, don't you think? As simple as adding this adapter to this basic recorder.
    If nothing bad happens then so be it but if it does? Then you will have the evidence you need to hand to the proper authorities. More the merrier.

Chicken Little was only the village idiot until the sky actually fell.

Please give your kid an extra hug tonight from INGO. But not too tight. Dog bites are a pain in the butt. :)

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    Dog bites. Horrible. If have not been to Dr./Hospital. Go. treatment can help alleviate scars -
    Landlord liability - really iffy.
    If they have rental coverage at all - they will have basic liability coverage.
    Animal control won't help you with your medical bills situation.

PHOTOS - now. tomorrow. every day -
    Let your attorney and their insurance company handle this. Trying to HIDE a dog bit shows the frame of mind of the owner. This story could have been much worse.

I have sat through dozens of mediation sessions for insurance company - and hearing that they tried to hide it, and "don't tell" won't play well for the owner.

Dog came thru the screen door - next time this dog sees a kid outside - what's to keep this from happening out in the front yard instead.

you did the right thing filing a PR

Take care of your daughter. Medical bills might seem reasonable - until you think about what if she needs any kind of corrective scarring surgery down the road - or what if your daughter is afraid of dogs for the rest of her life.

I understand your hesitation - IF they have no insurance - then you are talking straight lawsuit/settlement and these people might not be the kind you want to deal with down the road. If they do have insurance- you never have to talk to them again.

1 thing about pushing the landlord/homeowner- you may be able to find out about the renter's insurance situation. A smart landlord won't rent a property without requiring a rental policy for reasons like this.

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    I agree.
    Lawyer and document everything.
    My opinion would be different if they had not tried to hide it and behaved responsibly.

Top Bottom