How do I handle my daughter getting bit by a pit bull.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    So my daughter was playing at her friends house and the parents were aware of the aggressive nature of the dog. The dog broke through the screen door and chewed my ten year old daughter up pretty good. We called the police and animal control and filed a complaint. The first responder immediately said that she needed to go to the hospital. We have taken photos and animal control officer also took a statement from my daughter along with photos. Her upper thighs both have multiple bite marks and she is bruising pretty bad. This happened yesterday evening and I am not really sure how to proceed. Do I need to get an attorney or let animal control handle this. Any ideas? And yes the dog is a pit bull.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Breed of the dog doesn't matter.

Fact that the parents knew the dog was aggressive means they are liable. Can you prove they knew the dog was/is aggressive?

What do you want to happen: An apology + medical bills paid? Have the pet put down? Emotional damages? All of the above and more?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, it looks like you've done everything you need to do and notified the right people. Beyond that you have to decide what you want to do. Do you want the dogs owners to cover your daughters medical expenses? You'll need to contact them or take the less personal route a get a lawyer involved. If they won't cover the expenses then you might have to sue, but their homeowners insurance should cover them, (unless they deny it for having a forbidden dog against their policy). Hope the kiddo feels better fast and doesn't develop a fear of dogs over this. Best to you all.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    The mother of my daughter's friend gave my daughter a popsicle and told her not to tell me. I was on the tractor when she came home crying. As far as money I really don't care other than the medical bills. We live in a pretty rural area, basically a small neighborhood and these people are renting with multiple people living there. Constant traffic but nobody works? I would like the dog at least removed and the medical bills paid. I tried to talk to the parents after the bite but they started getting pretty defensive so I called the police and filed a report but today they were all standing in there driveway flipping me off. I'm too old for that crap so I left it alone. Just concerned about my kids and the other kids around the neighborhood.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Keep on animal control, then. They can handle the vicious dog angle and deal with that. From what you say, it sounds like you're going to probably need to involve a lawyer, if they're reacting the way you say.

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    The mother of my daughter's friend gave my daughter a popsicle and told her not to tell me. I was on the tractor when she came home crying. As far as money I really don't care other than the medical bills. We live in a pretty rural area, basically a small neighborhood and these people are renting with multiple people living there. Constant traffic but nobody works? I would like the dog at least removed and the medical bills paid. I tried to talk to the parents after the bite but they started getting pretty defensive so I called the police and filed a report but today they were all standing in there driveway flipping me off. I'm too old for that crap so I left it alone. Just concerned about my kids and the other kids around the neighborhood.
    Hmmm from the above statement they sound like stand up people I can't imagine you would have any problem with them making everything right..... that being said and the sounds of their actions speak straight to the attorney, and speak with their landlord about the situation .

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Landlord is a deadbeat dad who is behind on child support payments for thirteen kids. He showed up today when the animal control officer came back and I could here the argument and I'm a good four acres away. I'll talk to the officer who filled out the report yesterday and find out what they have planned. I guess Monday I'll talk to some attorney's and see what I need to do. As for my daughter thanks for the concern, we've always had dogs and I think she'll be fine but as a parent this is rough. She's chewed up pretty good. Thanks guys I just needed to rant a little bit and see what everyone thinks.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If they are renting, they probably don't have liability insurance, but the landlord should. I would contact an attorney to see how to proceed. I am not a big fan of lawsuits, but it would be nice to get proof of vaccinations on the dog, etc. It would also be interesting to know if it has attacking anyone else previously. I don't care what breed it is, any dog can do damage and if the dog is aggressive, it needs to be put down.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I completely agree about the breed, any dog can bite. My daughter says that the Maybe used to belong to somebody's brother but was a know biter so they gave it to the brother. I agree, the vaccinations are the biggest concern. I'll let you guys know after I hear back from animal control.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    This story has a high 'Wow' factor.

I think I'd talk to them next with a lawyer. Doesn't sound like they have a pot to **** in...so getting money out of them is going to be tough.

Has dog had his shots? Hope your daughter is OK....glad it wasn't worse. Sounds like chewed up a bit...but not ripped up. Could have been worse.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Calls to the prosecutor in a few days after they should have all of the reports wouldn't hurt either. They usually have a victim's advocate in the office that you can talk to about your concerns and desire to push this.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    If they are renting, they probably don't have liability insurance, but the landlord should. I would contact an attorney to see how to proceed. I am not a big fan of lawsuits, but it would be nice to get proof of vaccinations on the dog, etc. It would also be interesting to know if it has attacking anyone else previously. I don't care what breed it is, any dog can do damage and if the dog is aggressive, it needs to be put down.

Call everybody. Press the issue. Do not let this pass.

These 2 posts are spot on.

The Popsicle reaction tells you everything you need to know. They don't care and won't care unless you make them care.

Don't let this die down - press the police on what needs to happen and discuss with an attorney to make sure you're covered for any damages/medical bills.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    These 2 posts are spot on.

The Popsicle reaction tells you everything you need to know. They don't care and won't care unless you make them care.

Don't let this die down - press the police on what needs to happen and discuss with an attorney to make sure you're covered for any damages/medical bills.

This stood out to me too. Telling her not to tell you what happened...that says a LOT!

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    This stood out to me too. Telling her not to tell you what happened...that says a LOT!

Yep. I could see if it was a little "nip" where no real harm happened and it just scared the girl - Popsicles are ok. True bites? That's a whole 'nother ball of wax!

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    He actually bit her bad enough that both butt cheeks and the back of her thighs have multiple deep bite's. Thanks guys I will press the issue and make sure this gets addressed. I really appreciate the help and support. I will keep you all up on things.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wow. Sorry this happened. Sounds like you have a tough little girl. Definately seems like a lawyer needs to be involved at this point.

Top Bottom