How Did We Get Here? Squatters Have More Rights Than Owners…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Based on what I have read A can break into your property and take up residence, you call LEO because A is breaking and entering and trespassing, A waves a paper claiming it is a lease, LEO tells you to sue A and leaves.

How many minutes must A be in the property to establish residency? That exact story happened in Chicago recently to a family that was rehabbing a house, the squatters just moved in when it was just finished before they listed it for sale.

This is a crazy story, just the latest I have seen.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Its sad that you cant show your deed and lack of your name on their lease (Or if they are smart and looked up your property card, lack of matching signature) for cops to take action.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would think a legal homeowner could get around this by accusing the squatter of lying to the police. That IS a crime.

So homeowner calls cops on squatter. Squatter tells police "I have lease."

Homeowner tells cops, "That is not a lease. I never signed it. Squatter is lying to you."

I would think that cops could (after quick investigation) then charge squatter with giving false information and haul away.

Then homeowner calls locksmith ASAP, pays extra service charge, and changes all the locks. NOW! Problem solved.

On a historical note don't a lot of these laws date back to a time that food was really needed, and if someone "improved" land by farming it and building on it that they would claim, somewhat reasonably, that they were contributing to the local community?

Otherwise, America has always been huge on property rights. I am somewhat ignorant of the rationale behind this legal concept of claiming property by squatting.

Regards,

Doug

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So a person leaves for work, the squatters watch and break in as soon as they are gone, they quickly put on new door locks, unplug the garage door opener, and the owner comes home, calls the cops, the squatters wave a claimed lease and LEO says it is a civil matter. The courts take months at best, to resolve this...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Agreed. I am trying to figure out just how long is the time frame between breaking and entering/trespassing to squatters rights? And how we got to the point we are…
    How does one prove to LE that the lease or deed they have is fake?
    I don't believe with a civil matter LE will go to the city building and see whos name is on the deed.
    I believe in most States unless one can prove Trespass, its a civil matter.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So a person leaves for work, the squatters watch and break in as soon as they are gone, they quickly put on new door locks, unplug the garage door opener, and the owner comes home, calls the cops, the squatters wave a claimed lease and LEO says it is a civil matter. The courts take months at best, to resolve this...
    I believe its normally done with vacant, for sale, repossessed and empty for a few years, out of State owners, grams died and the kid lives 1,000 miles away and doesn't care about it and so on.
    Every town/city has a few vacant homes.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Laws are different around the country. They are tougher on the squatters here in Indiana. I think other places, especially those with political machines, cater to a criminal constituency.

I got rid of one a few years back that was rat smart about the law, I had to get the ground surveyed to move him out.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I believe its normally done with vacant, for sale, repossessed and empty for a few years, out of State owners, grams died and the kid lives 1,000 miles away and doesn't care about it and so on.
    Every town/city has a few vacant homes.
    Correct, usually. I fear the example I posted is the next level they will go to…

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I don't think you can be prosecuted for breaking & entering property that you own right?

You're also within your rights to have a vehicle towed from any property that you own, even if there are lawful tenants present.

Top Bottom