How Did We Get Here? Squatters Have More Rights Than Owners…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A quick call to your local Pagans, Outlaws, Sons of Silence or Hells Angles Clubhouse with a request and a donation.
    Problem solved.
    There was a story in Florida where a Marine came back from overseas and squaters would not let him in his house. A few phone calls, a little bit or organizing, and number of Vets came and convinced the squaters they had urgent business somewhere else, far away.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Good post, the best descriptions I have seen but I still do not see a bright red line that explains exactly when trespassing ends and squatting begins. It seems all squatting, a civil matter, would start out as trespassing, a criminal matter.

The minute they step on the property trespassing begins, by what actions does it become defined as squatting and squatters rights are enforced.

Hypothetical, guy drives by his non resident house and sees people he has not given permission to be there on his porch but not inside.

Trespassing or squatting?

Hypothetical, guy drives by his non resident house and sees people he has not given permission to be there moving furniture in.

Hypothetical, guy drives by his non resident house and sees people he has not given permission to be there living in the house.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Good post, the best descriptions I have seen but I still do not see a bright red line that explains exactly when trespassing ends and squatting begins. It seems all squatting, a civil matter, would start out as trespassing, a criminal matter.

The minute they step on the property trespassing begins, by what actions does it become defined as squatting and squatters rights are enforced.

Hypothetical, guy drives by his non resident house and sees people he has not given permission to be there on his porch but not inside.

Hypothetical, guy drives by his non resident house and sees people he has not given permission to be there moving furniture in.

Hypothetical, guy drives by his non resident house and sees people he has not given permission to be there living in the house.

I will go with,
    Trespassing is, to enter the owner's land or property without permission.

Squatting is, unlawfully occupy an uninhabited building or settle on a piece of land.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I will go with,
    Trespassing is, to enter the owner's land or property without permission.

Squatting is, unlawfully occupy an uninhabited building or settle on a piece of land.
    Good try but I am trying to find the line between your well put explanations.

The immediate arrival and act of entering without permission is trespassing and after settling in becomes squatting. When LEO is called how do they determine if one is trespassing or squatting? What factors do they consider before arresting for trespassing or telling the owner they must go to civil court to remove them?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Good try but I am trying to find the line between your well put explanations.

The immediate arrival and act of entering without permission is trespassing and after settling in becomes squatting. When LEO is called how do they determine if one is trespassing or squatting? What factors do they consider before arresting for trespassing or telling the owner they must go to civil court to remove them?
    What you are asking was in the article I posted.
    • Squatters can avoid prosecution as trespassers by cleaning up debris, planting flowers, making improvements, or beautifying the property.
    • Prosecution for trespassing can also be avoided if squatters have occupied the property due to a legitimate emergency.
    • A squatter can only start the adverse possession process if the property was not in use.
    Trespassers generally don't move in or on the property they trespassed on.
    Squatters move on or into the property.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What you are asking was in the article I posted.
    • Squatters can avoid prosecution as trespassers by cleaning up debris, planting flowers, making improvements, or beautifying the property.
    • Prosecution for trespassing can also be avoided if squatters have occupied the property due to a legitimate emergency.
    • A squatter can only start the adverse possession process if the property was not in use.
    Trespassers generally don't move in or on the property they trespassed on.
    Squatters move on or into the property.
    Ok so if they can time it out to get the trespassing part over quickly and get to the occupation phase they are home free, literally…

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    "squatters rights"
    Everything wrong with the concept is blatantly obvious.

Cops responding to illegal entry (squatterer) "It's civil, not criminal, so...hands tied"
    Civil Asset Forfeiture : "You're not illegal, your money is. Give it to us." Oddly our hands aren't tied when collecting money. I'm sure the badges will find a way to square this. The notion there is conflict between property owner and trespasser, legally, is stupid. Dumb, stupid. "Squatter's rights" is bull****.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How did we get here?
    We stopped shooting.
    Enough vigilante justice happens and word gets out, (it will also require the same level of "not my circus, not my monkeys" from LEO as they treat obviously fake rental docs) this will stop.
    They do it because they know they can get away with it. If they are worried they might not walk properly for a month, maybe they might not pull this crap.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    We don't need all these threads asking how we got here. I have the answer to all of them. The Left is evil and are purposefully trying to destroy the country, our way of life and the rule of law. Once you realize that it fits as the answer to every question. There is no way it's just happenstance that squatters have any rights at all, that illegal aliens are given support and benefits, or that criminals are release with no bail instead of being sent to prison. It's all a plan and the plan is working.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    We got to this point in time regarding squatters because of liberal woke idiot politicians and bureaucrats who run the government to their own liking and "we the people" be damned!
    Evidently, European countries are suffering the same BS. Famous chef Gordon Ramsay owns a pub/restaurant in London and had put it up for sale. Unfortunately, while it was vacant and awaiting sale, squatters took over and have threatened Ramsay with litigation if he tries to sell or take back the property.
    Seriously? This is way over the line. :wallbash:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And the current laws were written to protect the individuals from evil landlords. But now scum have figured out how to weaponize the law, but nobody (except Desantis) is doing anything to correct it.

But dont worry, as soon as one of the investor mega landlord/property managers gets burned, laws will start getting tweaked. :rolleyes:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and it sure would be a shame if home invasion attacks started happening to these squatters while the owner's whereabouts (elsewhere of course) can be confirmed.

Maybe if getting "your" door kicked in and ending up out on the sidewalk beaten to the point you cant use face ID to unlock your phone to call 911 you might rethink your life choices, and fellow squatters also might reconsider as well.

Top Bottom