How can there be a $40k bond for PROSTITUTION?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Inmate argued with deputies before mistaken release | Fox 59 News ? fox59.com

Sasha Chiclana knew she had a $40,000 bond on a prostitution charge after she was arrested June 11 at an east side motel. She expected to remain in the Marion County Jail until late July because she didn’t have money for bail. She never expected to be released from custody last Sunday.

Read more: Inmate argued with deputies before mistaken release | Fox 59 News ? fox59.com

I'm still not sure why prostitution is illegal, to be frank. I doubt the deterrent value in the law. Women who are going to prostitute themselves are well beyond caring if its legal or not, and women who aren't going to prostitute themselves are unlikely to start because now its legal.

However, accepting that I don't get to dictate the laws, unless there are other charges $40k seems ridiculous. That's more than many first time robbery suspects.

Again, assuming there are no other charges, this strikes me as excessive bail for someone who is TRULY a non-violent offender (not as its applied to dope dealers) and is more often the victim than the perpetrator of violence.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Once again I could care less what consenting adults want to do behind closed doors. Make it legal, tax it. It would save a lot of money in enforcement and help generate some cash flow for the state.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Once again I could care less what consenting adults want to do behind closed doors. Make it legal, tax it. It would save a lot of money in enforcement and help generate some cash flow for the state.

Why tax it, if you have no objection? Why should the government tax acts between consenting adults? Just because they can?

If you really want the government out of the bedroom/private life, then please don't justify them invading our pocketbooks in compensation.

If government has cash flow issues, cut back programs/services/etc.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Why tax it, if you have no objection? Why should the government tax acts between consenting adults? Just because they can?

If you really want the government out of the bedroom/private life, then please don't justify them invading our pocketbooks in compensation.

If government has cash flow issues, cut back programs/services/etc.

Because its a business transaction... Either tax them all (sales) or leave them all alone. Many INGOers feel that sales tax is fairly valid.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Because its a business transaction... Either tax them all (sales) or leave them all alone. Many INGOers feel that sales tax is fairly valid.

Not to thread jack but a flat sales tax and elimination of all the loop hole Bravo Sierra regulations would go away. Everyone would be paying their fair share....everyone.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

providing a service is not taxable. Say you go to a mechanic to fix your a/c. The parts are taxable, labor is not. Thus prostitution should not be taxed as it is labor, not parts. Now if things such as lube, condoms, whatever are used and charged for, then these things need to be taxed.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    providing a service is not taxable. Say you go to a mechanic to fix your a/c. The parts are taxable, labor is not. Thus prostitution should not be taxed as it is labor, not parts. Now if things such as lube, condoms, whatever are used and charged for, then these things need to be taxed.

Hmmmm. I wonder if pimps could claim their ho's as dependents?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    If it were legal, the pimps would probably be out of work. Could work in marijuana dispensaries maybe...

Perhaps. More likely they would get new titles;
    HR liason, business manager, COO,CFO, insurance adjuster, etc.

There would also be a whole new set of skills needed for health insurance analysts. I wonder what the ICD9 codes would be? Would you need a referral from your primary care doctor if you wanted your insurance to cover it?

Could you deduct prostitution related business expenses?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To BehindBlueI's (et alia),

As a former bailbondsman I will throw in my opinion.

The bond is supposed to be set at an amount that would be motivational for a particular person to appear in court. In theory each bond should be uniquely tailored to each individual.

The reason for this is simple; the amount of damage $10,000 will do to my finances is vastly different than the damage it would do to Warren Buffett's situation. Good ol' Warren could pay that out of petty cash while I would have to sell something off to come up with that much. So basically the more money someone has the higher the bond would need to be to "insure" their valuing the loss of the money enough to compel them to show up for court.

That said, the bond is not to be "excessive" or in any way punitive according to the 8th Amendment.

In reality many of the courts have become lazy and set "bond schedules" that do not take a persons individual situation into account.

Another problem is that the courts have set up pretrial services that take the 10% down the same as a bailbondsman. The problem with this is that pretrial does NOT perform the service that the bailbodnsman will perform. If a defendant fails to show for a private bailbondsman on a $20,000 bond the bondsman WILL do everything possible to produce the defendant! There is a financial incentive to do so, along with the simple incentive of avoiding masses of paperwork. For pretrial services they do NOTHING to produce the defendant. Because the private bailbondsman has an incentive to produce the defendant they will often do so thus facilitating the judicial system to work in a timely and more efficient manner.

For those that don't know, the bondsman is the one on the hook for the entire face value of the bond with the court. While they all do try to cover their losses through private contracts with indemnitors they are legally on the hook to pay the court should a defendant fail to appear.

The other problem with pretrial services is that it is a tax burden to the citizens. The employees are on the government payroll, whereas the private bailbondsman is 100% free market with zero (0) cost to the taxpayers!

In Indiana the law requires a minimum of 10% of the face value of the bond to be paid upfront, +$5. So in the articles example the lady would have to come up with $4,005. It is early and I forget where the $5 goes, but it isn't a processing fee.

My best guess in her case was that she was deemed a significant flight risk and had financial assets to justify such a high bond.

She was very wise to turn herself in right away. In Indiana it is a minimum of five (5) years added to your sentence for an escape attempt. While it is doubtful that it would be prosecuted the threat of it would be motivational to avoid at all costs.

Regards,

Doug

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

She was very wise to turn herself in right away. In Indiana it is a minimum of five (5) years added to your sentence for an escape attempt.

Case law says you can't be charged with doing what the jail staff tells you to do. It actually came up recently when someone was charged with accessing other inmate's information, but he'd been told to help them to something or other in the law library to help them with any appeals and it required him to get the information he'd accessed. I don't recall the particulars, but do recall it was a unanimous decision that the inmate can't get in trouble for doing what the guards told them to do.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Legalizing it and taxing it would involve more "government" then there already is. Just like the "small government" types who want to legalize marijuana and tax it, you are simple replacing one bureaucracy with another one that didn't necessarily exist before.

Top Bottom