• ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'll inject my opinion.

Most high end neighborhoods have increased security. They have security systems and better doors/locks/windows etc.

It takes a very smart/talented criminal to bypass this with absolute certainty. A fleeing criminal will stand out more in this neighborhood if caught in the act.

In a lower class setting a criminal figures that his chances of getting caught are lower, and his chances of escape are higher if caught.

Most higher class homes will have a good safe to protect valuables. So the thieves probably aren't getting those items in a smash and grab anyways. So they're basically going after electronics and misc. cash etc. Those same things can be had in a lower-class home where the risk is perceivably decreased.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    As others have said, I think most home invasions are not random, but happen when someone has a bit of inside info, or at least, thinks they do. Criminals may be dumb, but most are not complete idiots and will commit a crime if they can imagine getting away with it. If they know the target in some way, they can learn when folks are home, what's in there and what is keeping them from getting to it. If the goal is worth enough, they will go to great lengths to get it, up to and including killing everyone they find at home. The thugs that killed the 7 family members last year thought there was a safe full of drugs at the home.

Scum will break into your car to see if a cell phone is there, but will be less likely to break into your house to find one. Without some inside info, there are too many variables to deal with unless the prize is a big one. Is there a dog, shotgun or pistol waiting for a trespasser inside?

Beware whenever someone from outside your circle of friends or family has the opportunity to gain inside info. It may be that they are installing carpet or could be a relations niece's boyfriend or what ever. If they realize you have something worth taking and think it could be done easily, they will probably try to take it if they are so inclined.

My concern for our family lately comes from a niece that hangs out with some scum of the earth. We don't let her bring them around, but all it takes is for her to brag about her grandmothers jewelry and know when her grandmother is going on vacation to plant the seed of a burglary. The company she keeps represents an entry point to our family that would be difficult for scum to gain normally.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    THanks everybody for all the responses. I agree with just about all of it. But I'm seeing comparison between lower middle class neighborhoods and upper class neighborhoods. I live in between. I live in a probably higher than middle class neighborhood 2 miles north of 38th St on the west side (think Eagle Creek pistol range).

I get the monthly crime stats for my area. There is always an uncomfortable amount of crime outside a mile of my house, even more 2 miles out, and more yet 3 miles out, but normally no crime in my neighborhood or the neighborhoods near me. THere have been murders in my district, but none within a mile of me.

There's a lot more to steal in my neighborhood I would imagine AND there's no better security that I can tell. There may be more gun owners in my neighborhood, but I really doubt it. Ahh, maybe it's that there's only one way in and out. I'm leaning toward criminals live close to their victims.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Well the latest home invasion is now a natural death. Poor lady had a severe bleeding ulcer. Looks as though someone went through her stuff before the police were called.
    IndyStar.com | Indianapolis news, community, business, sports, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Central Indiana.
    Unbelievable. It will be interesting to see if the home was broken into after she died or if the family member went through her things after he found her dead. wow...

You gotta love the Hill.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Unbelievable. It will be interesting to see if the home was broken into after she died or if the family member went through her things after he found her dead. wow...

You gotta love the Hill.
    Not the first time. I had a DOA once where I am certain the family went through her entire apartment before they decided to call us to the scene. Oh the ghetto.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Not the first time. I had a DOA once where I am certain the family went through her entire apartment before they decided to call us to the scene. Oh the ghetto.

Not just the ghetto. Look at the current Simon/Skjodt family estate battle. People just pick the financial bones of the carcass in different ways.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Not just the ghetto. Look at the current Simon/Skjodt family estate battle. People just pick the financial bones of the carcass in different ways.
    Some don't have to be dead yet, remember few years back when 70 to 80 people or more were traveling the world with Ruth Lilly, cooks, maids, advisers to cooks & maids, cousins to advisers, accountants, spenders, wardrobe approval attendants, nurses, nurses aides, uncles of nurses, etc.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you were told you had to rob a house in an unfamiliar neighborhood, you'd drive through and would have trouble picking the house out. You don't know if it's a 70 year old widow living there or someone that teaches Krav Magna and home defense tactics. Now, if someone told you where the 70 year old widow lived in that neighborhood, you'd have a target. All it takes is for the SOTE (scum of the earth) to decide there's something worth taking and that taking it is possible. Most SOTE roam unfamiliar neighborhoods with no idea which door has a shotgun defending it and which does not. Give them a bit of info though, and their wheels begin turning (as best they can, being SOTE and all).

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Rich people get hit as well.

A friend of mine lived in a very good neighborhood at one time. It is one of the best in town: big houses, manicured lawns, nice cars. His next-door neighbor was our old high school chemistry teacher. They were nice people.

Those poor people were invaded 3 times. They are pacifists, so they locked themselves in their panic room every time it happened. To my knowledge they never caught the persons responsible... Its amazing what some scum will do when they know they are unchallenged.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Handy Home Invasion Chart (what you will be shot with):

Geist: Korth or Merkel

Avon: New Smith & Wesson or SIG

Camby: Smith M10 with most of bluing worn off

Martinsville: everything

Lawrence: Hi-Point, Jennings, Lorcin.

^^ All for a certain vocal defender of those brands who haunts the forum. I'm sure his Hi-Point alarm is ringing even now.^^

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    My mother's house was robbed one time (not a true home invasion, but continue...) when she was on vacation. Seems that she had stopped by the Sheriff's office (he was a family friend) just to say "Howdy" and told him about her vacation plans. Some of the inmates over-heard her plans, too. They were released the following week and robbed her house the minute they got out. Be careful of what you say in public. Hate to be this paranoid, but there are Big Ears out there. How did that go in WWII? Oh, yeah. "Loose lips, Sinks ships."

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I'm confused about why home invasions happen where they do. There is a thread about a home invasion and an 11-yr-old protecting his mother. On the news tonight was another story about HI. Neither story reports a motive. In the recent multiple murders in Indpls, the BGs thought there was a safe in the home I believe. So that one I guess I understand.

It struck me tonight and in most HIs that they occur in lower middle class neighborhoods. Why wouldn't the BGs hit a higher clientele? I don't get it. Do you suppose it's more a crime of convenience? i.e. Why would I drive up to a fancy neighborhood for my home invasion, I'll just hit Joe across the street. My wife says if criminals were smart, they wouldn't need to be criminals. Any ideas?

Those houses are broken into because there is something that the bg's want. LIke....someone in the house sell drugs or keeps large amounts of cash in the house. The bg's dont just randomly break into houses of the poor hoping to hit the lottery.

They break into a higher class house and they might get 20.00 cash a few debit cards and TV's, thats not what they are looking for.

Remember that the people breaking into the houses live in the same area that we do, but they live in a different world. Does that make sense?

Edited

I just read all the other replies....seems everyone else knows whats going on. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think it would be interesting to know what portion of home invasions are motivated specifically by some combination of drugs and cash (in terms of what the invaders are seeking). If that percentage is high, then it would skew the type of "homes" being invaded. I'm not sure if we could consider those "homes" or not, even if people or families live on the premises.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    ... I'll just hit Joe across the street. My wife says if criminals were smart, they wouldn't need to be criminals. Any ideas?

Many are lazy too. It's easier to hit the house up the street than to recon a strange area and make the effort to rob the place at the right time, and make a clean getaway.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I had someone come in my apartment one time. The reason I say it is because there was a pile of dog poop. My dog 1.) didn't have accidents and 2.) wasn't even in Indiana at the time! Apparently they weren't after anything. My Rifle was sitting about 7 feet from the front door in plain sight.

Top Bottom