• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I'm confused about why home invasions happen where they do. There is a thread about a home invasion and an 11-yr-old protecting his mother. On the news tonight was another story about HI. Neither story reports a motive. In the recent multiple murders in Indpls, the BGs thought there was a safe in the home I believe. So that one I guess I understand.

It struck me tonight and in most HIs that they occur in lower middle class neighborhoods. Why wouldn't the BGs hit a higher clientele? I don't get it. Do you suppose it's more a crime of convenience? i.e. Why would I drive up to a fancy neighborhood for my home invasion, I'll just hit Joe across the street. My wife says if criminals were smart, they wouldn't need to be criminals. Any ideas?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just shows it can happen anytime, anywhere. That is why it is best to be prepared. I agree though they usually don't seem well planned, but like she said if they were smarter they wouldn't be criminals.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    in CA where I grew up, home invasions were common. They were gruesome sometimes as well. Mostly wealthy folks were targeted there.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Most home invasions in Indy are drug related. Much of the rest, the victim knew the suspect. What I mean is that the suspect had been invited in the house before and came back later to rob them. Sadly there was just a poor 90yr old that was killed in a home invasion near Mars Hill. Outside of drug related, it seems as though the elderly are targeted more often. I worked one a few years ago that the elderly couple answered a knock at the door and the old man had his head bashed in with a brick in front of his wife, killed him. The suspect was a homeless guy who the couple had hired to cut the grass. What a messed up crime scene. What seemed random, was certainly not. Watch who you associate with and who your friends bring to your house with them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why wouldn't the BGs hit a higher clientele?

1. Most crime transpires within similar SESs (SES=Socio-Ecnomic Status).

Think about it, Cledus' pickemup truck, or Ice Dog's G Glide Ride, is going to stick out like a sore thumb at Geist, Westfield, or Carmel and draw a lot of police attention.

That same vehicle will not attract attention in Mars Hill or 24th and New Jersey.

Lots of exceptions, just ask Sharon Tate.

2. Most home invasions are predicated on some sort of "intelligence" or scouting report. Often the intel is faulty, but why invade a home that you do not think you have solid info on.

The way to obtain this info is to observe the home. That is harder to do cruising about Carmel and speaking to CPD's Officer Bored-Out-Of-My-Mind at the roundabout.

3. Higher end homes are more likely to have dogs, alarms, security cameras, and even armed home owners who will shoot you with higher end firearms.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Handy Home Invasion Chart (what you will be shot with):

Geist: Korth or Merkel

Avon: New Smith & Wesson or SIG

Camby: Smith M10 with most of bluing worn off

Martinsville: everything

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    1. Most crime transpires within similar SESs (SES=Socio-Ecnomic Status).

Think about it, Cledus' pickemup truck, or Ice Dog's G Glide Ride, is going to stick out like a sore thumb at Geist, Westfield, or Carmel and draw a lot of police attention.

That same vehicle will not attract attention in Mars Hill or 24th and New Jersey.

Lots of exceptions, just ask Sharon Tate.

2. Most home invasions are predicated on some sort of "intelligence" or scouting report. Often the intel is faulty, but why invade a home that you do not think you have solid info on.

The way to obtain this info is to observe the home. That is harder to do cruising about Carmel and speaking to CPD's Officer Bored-Out-Of-My-Mind at the roundabout.

3. Higher end homes are more likely to have dogs, alarms, security cameras, and even armed home owners who will shoot you with higher end firearms.

#3 is at the top of the list! Why would I break into a house that will automatically call the police? Why not one that doesn't?

This is why more and more home invasions are happening while people are home. Most people don't set their alarm when they are home. A lot of the time the doors are unlocked.

Mr Clean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Old Milwaukee

Just shows it can happen anytime, anywhere. That is why it is best to be prepared. I agree though they usually don't seem well planned, but like she said if they were smarter they wouldn't be criminals.

I feel like I am in a beer commercial....Because it just doesn't get any better than this. He hit the nail on the head

sam colt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Did you notice ch.8 reporting a fatal HI,with a 16 yr. old His.female getting KILLED . After the 1st. airing,they never mentioned SHE was 1 of the INVADERS,or that SHE SHOT THE HOME OWNER IN THE NECK !!!!,,,before he killed her.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Did you notice ch.8 reporting a fatal HI,with a 16 yr. old His.female getting KILLED . After the 1st. airing,they never mentioned SHE was 1 of the INVADERS,or that SHE SHOT THE HOME OWNER IN THE NECK !!!!,,,before he killed her.

Of course not, that does not fit the template of "guns r bad"
    You're not supposed to defend yourself from criminals that enter your home.
    WWED = What Would England Do?

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    You have to understand that those that do have money can afford to buy alarm systems. They can afford to hire private security. Some of the wealthy live in gated communities which will deter home invaders. Last but not least, many of these same wealthy homeowners will have firearms for the reason of home protection.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I Hired a Dog!

You have to understand that those that do have money can afford to buy alarm systems. They can afford to hire private security. Some of the wealthy live in gated communities which will deter home invaders. Last but not least, many of these same wealthy homeowners will have firearms for the reason of home protection.
    I think that the best investment the average person can do is get a dog. I have a Chow that is EXTREMLY loyal and raises hell any time someone strange is near. And she's our best friend and really a big baby when you get to know her! Paul Harvey once said for the best protection get a very big dog...then get a little one to keep the big one awake!

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Maybe you could say that criminals covet what they see every day (ala Hannibal Lecter) but then maybe they figure the harder that people work for what they have the harder they will work to defend it...

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    The home next to me has been invaded at least twice, and one time it was an armed invasion and beating of the druggie punks that lived there. They don't touch my place. One time, one of the next door punks talked about breaking into my place and was told by someone who knew me, "Don't do it. Pick someplace else. You might not get out of Tim's house alive."

Where I live, the majority of home invasions are directly related to the stupidity of the people living there.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I would suspect it's also what they know. They know who is who and what is what in an area more like the area they've lived in. Most people are nervous in places they don't understand.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Most home invasions in Indy are drug related. Much of the rest, the victim knew the suspect. What I mean is that the suspect had been invited in the house before and came back later to rob them. <snip> What seemed random, was certainly not. Watch who you associate with and who your friends bring to your house with them.

This.

And it's not just about home invasion.

Top Bottom