• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The only remotely successful attempts a predicting earthquakes was done relying heavily upon the position of the sun and moon relative to the earth and the gravitational forces involved. Considering we have nothing better to go on to date, it is plausible that there is a correlation there.

I remember receiving a briefing on the New Madrid fault line over 20 years ago and the anticipated destruction throughout the midwest if it were to cut loose again like it did over 100 years ago. Civil engineers have not used the same construction techniques in the midwest which have been used in more earthquake prone areas of the country and our infrastructure isn't designed to stand up to those forces. We were told that if a repeat quake of the same severity were to take place they expected virtually every bridge throughout the midwest to be brought down. Evey railroad bridge, interstate overpass and river crossing. We've got a lot of flat ground so it may not seem like that big of a deal but it wouldn't take long for reality to set in.

Hopefully it's uneventful.

wrong-week.gif

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    The only remotely successful attempts a predicting earthquakes was done relying heavily upon the position of the sun and moon relative to the earth and the gravitational forces involved. Considering we have nothing better to go on to date, it is plausible that there is a correlation there.

I remember receiving a briefing on the New Madrid fault line over 20 years ago and the anticipated destruction throughout the midwest if it were to cut loose again like it did over 100 years ago. Civil engineers have not used the same construction techniques in the midwest which have been used in more earthquake prone areas of the country and our infrastructure isn't designed to stand up to those forces. We were told that if a repeat quake of the same severity were to take place they expected virtually every bridge throughout the midwest to be brought down. Evey railroad bridge, interstate overpass and river crossing. We've got a lot of flat ground so it may not seem like that big of a deal but it wouldn't take long for reality to set in.

Hopefully it's uneventful.
    Well we could always use a couple new lakes. e.g. Reelfoot Lake. The last New Madrid episode.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Well crap, i hadn't thought about gas prices jump cause of all this eclipse crap. Shoulda got gas yesterday while it was 329gal.
    I dont why people thibk they absolutely have to be directly at some event when it can be watched live on tv. All these people that complaint about the cost of things..and what do these people do.. they go out and blow a ton of money on nonsense just to say.."i was there".. just ridiculous

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Well crap, i hadn't thought about gas prices jump cause of all this eclipse crap. Shoulda got gas yesterday while it was 329gal.
    I dont why people thibk they absolutely have to be directly at some event when it can be watched live on tv. All these people that complaint about the cost of things..and what do these people do.. they go out and blow a ton of money on nonsense just to say.."i was there".. just ridiculous
    Often times, to still be viewing it on a screen (their cell phone as they take a video of it).

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I'm offering a new selection of Eclispe T-shirts for those types.

Kidding!

I bought a ten pack of sun safe paper glasses a couple of weeks ago from Amazon and that's as far as I am going.

Eclipse thing will still be what ever it will be.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm renting my backyard out. Gonna look like Woodstock

Weird how our local gas prices went from 3.39 a gallon to 3.79 yesterday
    I suspect its more to do with the summer blend. Im in columbus OH right now and will be driving back today. I'll watch the gas signs and see if I see it spike closer to Indy.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I don't want to blow any wind toward our lazy Governor's sails, but having a few additional patrols commissioned near hotspots with some in reserve to be deployed as needed might be wise.

I'm sure it wasn't his idea.

Last edited:

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I suspect its more to do with the summer blend. Im in columbus OH right now and will be driving back today. I'll watch the gas signs and see if I see it spike closer to Indy.
    Whenever i checked GasBuddy for prices, southern indiana has always been cheaper compared to nwi. Seems like a 50 to 70cent price difference.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'm offering a new selection of Eclispe T-shirts for those types.

Kidding!

I bought a ten pack of sun safe paper glasses a couple of weeks ago from Amazon and that's as far as I am going.

Eclipse thing will still be what ever it will be.
    Why not make sirts, I'm sure many plac3s are. The west has their UFO crap, why not indiana eclipse... Years back, i just used my welding helmet. Make sure you didn't get counterfeit glasses. Seen this on the news couple days ago.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    You can test your glasses to be sure - if you can see any light besides the sun through them, they are likely not good. We can see fluorescent lights through the bad ones we got from Wish for the last eclipse, in spite of them being marked as meeting the ISO standards. More Chinese lies...

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    All of this? Seriously? :runaway:
    I tend to agree, but we will have two thirds of the nation's weak, loudmouths feeling left out and wanting "some" bandwagon to jump on.

I don't want to see a tidal wave of puke coming to town either.

There are plenty of similar local talent, already mentioned, finding ways to make money off this.

I'll be happy with relatively clear skies for an hour or so during this event.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Hmmm, Y2K was a flop. Spent all night waiting for excitement, not. Gov is declaring an emergency prior to emergency occuring....LOL. Places gouging for gas and food, and water, that is an emergency!
    Is National Guard going to force those prices down? C'Mpn Hoosiers, stay frosty and keep spare ammo handy.
    Next thing are UFO's landing? LOL

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hmmm, Y2K was a flop. Spent all night waiting for excitement, not.
    I have a relative that had a job in the IT industry leading up to Y2K. He spent two years traveling to corporations to insure that their computer systems wouldn't go down on New Years Day.

He made good money for what turned out to be a non-event. I'm proud of him. :)

Top Bottom