• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • achilles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    +1 for KEEN's. These are my everyday boots in winter. While they would easily work for pretty demanding hiking, I have a pair of ASOLO Power Matic 200's that I really like.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    What about Danner? I have heard some good things about them, but I do not see any here. They may not be that good, just asking.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My hiking days are long past me - except if SHTF, now - but I have found the best boots for me have been military issue. Combined with the proper socks, I don't think you can beat them for the price. I've worn Rockys, Bellevilles, Matterhorns, and generic-issue boots. The worst of them fit better than my Vasque hiking boots that cost three times as much (in the 70s). This isn't to put down "hiking" boots in general or Vasque in particular, but I learned the hard way that whatever boots you buy; you'd better ensure they fit properly and comfortably when you buy them, because if they don't, they'll only get worse later on. More miles have been put on the various styles of military boots than all the rest of the boutique boots put together.

bthacker24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I wear chaco's when i hike. They aren't boots obviously, but i spent a lot of time hiking in the smokies and never had any problems with them.

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I have done a rim to rim to rim in the Grand Canyon each fall for the last several years. Last year, I switched it up to a pair of Zamberlan 760 GT which were the Gear of the Year in 2010 per Backpacker magazine.

Editors' Choice 2010: Zamberlan 760 Steep GT | Backpacker Magazine

They cost some serious coin but I was able to find a lightly used pair on ebay for half the price. The good thing was that they were already broke in although they say with these you don't need to.

I can attest to their awesomeness. When you go rim to rim, you go between 20-25 miles depending on which route you take. Regardless, you go down 5,000' in elevation in 4-5 miles, then across, and then back up 4-5,000' of elevation. On a rim to rim to rim, you turn around and go back. All the time with a 40lb+ pack on your back.

These boots were super supportive, held up well, no blisters or canyon toe as they like to call it. I would recommend them 100%. They are hand-made in Italy so would you expect any less?

Craig

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I wear chaco's when i hike. They aren't boots obviously, but i spent a lot of time hiking in the smokies and never had any problems with them.
    Another vote for Chaco's. I am on my second pair (the first pair last 10 years and I wear them almost exclusively when it's warm). Again, they run about $100 which is a ton of money for a pair of sandals but they are so much better than Teva's relative to comfort and quality and last a looong time.

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    I do a lot of hiking and backpacking. I liked my Vasques but they just wore out, the sole split etc. I then switched to Merrel's and loved them. Been wearing them for 10 years. I even still wear Merrel chameleon's on a daily basis for just general getting around. My most recent boot which I am really impressed with is LA Sportiva's. You can get Sportiva's at Nupro in Nobelsville.

Top Bottom