• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I roll with 2 different types of Vasque's. they're like walking on a pillow. A little pricy but you get what you pay for.

Rusted moon in bripp or
    REI in castelton would be good choices in lookin and talking about this sorta stuff.

Happy hunting

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had a pair of Italian made Vasques a decade ago that were absolutely awesome and lasted several years of daily use. I replaced them with the "improved" version of the same model, which was made in China. They were comfy but fell apart in a year. Ever since then I'm on my second pair Asolo hiking boots and Hawthorne logger boots depending on what I'm doing any given day. The Asolos are pretty tough and have a super rigid shank in them. They do seem to run a little narrow though. They are fairly light weight and reasonably comfortable. With daily use the Asolos tend to get me 2.5 years.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Vasquez boots are now owned by Redwing Shoe Company. I have owned a few pair and they were great. I currently have a pair of Solomons that I love. Also look at Merrells. I buy all of my hiking and camping gear from REI. They are the best. Only problem is they have zero stores in IN.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Vasquez boots are now owned by Redwing Shoe Company. I have owned a few pair and they were great. I currently have a pair of Solomons that I love. Also look at Merrells. I buy all of my hiking and camping gear from REI. They are the best. Only problem is they have zero stores in IN.

looks like GI JOE found one in Castelton.:dunno:

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Dont know that I would necessarily classify them as "hiking boots" but I have a pair of Rocky Silent Stalker boots. 400g thinsulate, but not hot at all. Waterproof, light as a feather, and the most comfortable thing I have ever put on my feet. I have worn them walking around the swamp, in the snow, everything. Best boot I have ever bought, I plan on buying several more before they get discontinued.

But in general, the only boot I wear is Rocky.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

NEGATIVE

REI just opened a new store in castelton by the Dave and busters last year

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Well I stand corrected! That's fantastic to hear! Unfortunately it does me no good. CHICAGO is still the closest to me. That and their high sales tax!

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Try some Keens. Wearing them for a bit. On my second pair. Also love my insulated Vasques for the winter. I've had the same pair for about 8 years.
    Bob

tiretrack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    our side o the wire
    I am currently trying Merrill's, and after 6 months they seem to be doing well as daily workwear ,others i had tryed were broken down at 6 months.
    For cold weather, iron ridge from cabellas, warm enough in the snow and breathable enough to drive in. Two winters ,starting the third, every work day and under $100.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Serious Hiking?

If you are doing Light Hikes or Day Hikes, I recommend the Vasque Breeze.

HOWEVER, if you are going to be carrying a load, do not waste your money on a Pair of Merrell, Keen, Columbia or HiTech.

Go for a SOLID, proven tried and true Backpacking Boot... I absolutely stand behind Asolo boots. For not much more money, you get a solid leather upper, vibram sole, and countless testimonies from true backpackers.

I have hundreds of miles on my Asolo Powermatics. They are very nice. But knowing what I know now, I would recommend the 520's... They are found at REI, maybe rusted moon.

Good Boots and GOOD SOCKS are key to a Good Hike. I use sock liners everytime I hike. sweaty feet, bad socks, bad boots are invitations for disasters on the trail. I would also pick up a mole skin kit for your pack too.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I'm a Merrell fanboy. I have a pair of their low cut Moab Ventilators and a pair of their high top Moab Goretex. Both have been dipped in the Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, and will probably go again. Merrell shoes can be found at Dicks, Gander Mountain, REI, Rusted Moon, as well as the Merrell store in Clay Terrace. I can't hurt the outer shoe, no matter how hard I wear them. I'd recommend replacing the insole annually (available online at Merrell.com for about $10 +shipping)

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have a pair of the Merrell ventilators and stitching started falling apart within weeks. They are super comfy though. I ordered my first pair of Asolos from Moosejaw and the second pair from Zappos.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I have been wearing Merrels for years, and just got my first pair of Salomans. WOW, I love these new Salomans.

Be sure to go by Rusted Moon in Broadripple. They have a good selection and the staff are great.

SlugRetention

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Wells Co.
    Thanks for all of everybody's input here. Looks like I have to do some leg work or foot work now. :popcorn:
    If I only get one pair, what would be the biggest factor, other than fit, that I should look for? I am thinking about using these for light hiking, to start with.
    Do I want them to be water proof? Also, these will be my Bug Out boots.

Thanks again for your help!! :ingo:

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Boots

Depends on your defintion of Light Hiking. Do not get Gore Tex boots...your feet get wet from the inside out when hiking. If your definition of light hiking is 3-4 miles with a water bottle and a sandwhich then you can were about anything. If you think you are going to get serious stay away from Vasque, Merrell, Keen, an others that fall into that catagory or that you can find at your local Dicks Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain, or Shopping Mall. They sell low end boots because that is what sells. If you think the boot that you try on has to rigid of a soul, then you might be on to a good boot. You generally have to spend $150 or more to get a decent boot. If you want a great boot that will last you a long time get ready to shell out $300. For Value sake I think Osolo is a good boot. If I could spend $300 I would go with somethind different. When I first started backpacking I liked Merrells but have since discovered a few things.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Good Boots and GOOD SOCKS are key to a Good Hike. I use sock liners everytime I hike. sweaty feet, bad socks, bad boots are invitations for disasters on the trail. I would also pick up a mole skin kit for your pack too.

^^This!

Another great product to look into in BlisterShield from 2Toms. It is a powder that you put in your socks. I use it frequently when I go on longer runs and anytime I feel like my feet will get wet.

MK

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Depends on your defintion of Light Hiking. Do not get Gore Tex boots...your feet get wet from the inside out when hiking. If your definition of light hiking is 3-4 miles with a water bottle and a sandwhich then you can were about anything. If you think you are going to get serious stay away from Vasque, Merrell, Keen, an others that fall into that catagory or that you can find at your local Dicks Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain, or Shopping Mall. They sell low end boots because that is what sells. If you think the boot that you try on has to rigid of a soul, then you might be on to a good boot. You generally have to spend $150 or more to get a decent boot. If you want a great boot that will last you a long time get ready to shell out $300. For Value sake I think Osolo is a good boot. If I could spend $300 I would go with somethind different. When I first started backpacking I liked Merrells but have since discovered a few things.
    I need some examples here, otherwise I get the impression that this is "more money = better" syndrome, which is not necessarily the case. I'd say Merrell has something going for them as often as they're mentioned on places like Whiteblaze, Backpacker, and Backpacking Light. I've worn my Gore-Tex boots in a multitude of temperatures and weather conditions and have never experienced wet feet from (I'm assuming) perspiration.

Top Bottom