• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I just started ”rucking” as a useful hobby (being able to walk long distance and carry heavy things), training for bigger hikes/hunts and to get healthier.

WITHOUT jogging which is very hard anyways with all the weight (60#) my FASTEST mile was 15.20
    That’s pretty dang fast with an extra 60 pounds!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    That’s pretty dang fast with an extra 60 pounds!
    It’s mostly flat. I’m not really happy with the time I kinda try and hold myself to the military standard since rucking originated that way and they do 12 miles with minimum 35# max time 3 hours… unless someone from the military tells me that is bs lol that’s what google says.

it’s like my pace is my pace with 0 extra weight or with 60# unless I consciously think about walking faster I end up day dreaming or sight seeing with 18-19 minute miles

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    It’s mostly flat. I’m not really happy with the time I kinda try and hold myself to the military standard since rucking originated that way and they do 12 miles with minimum 35# max time 3 hours… unless someone from the military tells me that is bs lol that’s what google says.

it’s like my pace is my pace with 0 extra weight or with 60# unless I consciously think about walking faster I end up day dreaming or sight seeing with 18-19 minute miles
    Yeah, I know the feeling. Every time I hike by the creek I want to stop to look for fish and then I stand there for ten minutes

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just started ”rucking” as a useful hobby (being able to walk long distance and carry heavy things), training for bigger hikes/hunts and to get healthier.

WITHOUT jogging which is very hard anyways with all the weight (60#) my FASTEST mile was 15.20
    That's a solid ruck time.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There's a difference between backpacking and rucking. When I go backpacking if I see something amazing or feel a hot spot forming on a foot I can casually stop and observe or take care of whatever needs done. Backpacking is meant to be pleasant and enjoyable. Rucking, is weight and time based that has zero care about how you're feeling or whatever pretty little flower or butterfly you just noticed that you'd love to stop and look at but can't.

A great resource for rucking weights, loadouts, distances and times would be the "#trainingformammoth" where guys post pictures and their training that usually has a screenshot of distance, terrain and time.

Personally, if I want to train in hills I'll have to buy a stair climber / stepper machine for where I live.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    There's a difference between backpacking and rucking. When I go backpacking if I see something amazing or feel a hot spot forming on a foot I can casually stop and observe or take care of whatever needs done. Backpacking is meant to be pleasant and enjoyable. Rucking, is weight and time based that has zero care about how you're feeling or whatever pretty little flower or butterfly you just noticed that you'd love to stop and look at but can't.

A great resource for rucking weights, loadouts, distances and times would be the "#trainingformammoth" where guys post pictures and their training that usually has a screenshot of distance, terrain and time.

Personally, if I want to train in hills I'll have to buy a stair climber / stepper machine for where I live.
    Do these rucking guys jog to get these times or are they really getting sub 15minute miles with the brisk walk?

I backpack/ hike / ruck whatever you want to call it on my hunting grounds so it’s hard not to be looking for sign and also I just have a bad habit of day dreaming and forgetting I’m supposed to be walking briskly and default to my factory setting, or my autopilot speed lol

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Getting too old to try speed hiking and for me its never the time, distance and enjoying the journey are keys for me. In doing the KT, Tucmseh, Adventure Trail, and up Mt. Leconte I typically average 2 miles an hour with a full pack. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Elevation change will slow me down as well as heat.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have ONE month to get back into semi-decent shape for a 5K night run-n-gun. I just can't get motivated. If anyone wants to meet up at Ft Ben for an after work "brisk paced" trail walk (jog a bit later), PM me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have ONE month to get back into semi-decent shape for a 5K night run-n-gun. I just can't get motivated. If anyone wants to meet up at Ft Ben for an after work "brisk paced" trail walk (jog a bit later), PM me.

FWIW, I've found Garmin to be very helpful with maintaining motivation. Seeing paces, watching VO2 max numbers improve, etc. has been helpful.

Probably not an option for most people, but attend an autopsy. Seeing body fat scooped out from around organs and hearing blockage percentages in arteries, etc. is *very* motivating.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Do these rucking guys jog to get these times or are they really getting sub 15minute miles with the brisk walk?

I backpack/ hike / ruck whatever you want to call it on my hunting grounds so it’s hard not to be looking for sign and also I just have a bad habit of day dreaming and forgetting I’m supposed to be walking briskly and default to my factory setting, or my autopilot speed lol
    Some of them must do a little jogging, and others are just some long legged freaks of nature in their early 20's that have physical abilities that I don't understand.

Walking around your hunting grounds would be a better time to be more watchful for sign while scouting than trying to get from A to B as quickly as possible.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    38:23/mile average over 17 hours (9hr 46min moving time) with a 44 pound pack and 4,816 ft of elevation gain. That average includes stopping for meals and sleeping. Fastest time pace was mile 27 at 19:55/mile. I use a Garmin, likely tracking my stops for gathering water and lunch.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    On a backpacking trip, I assume 2 mph average and plan the route accordingly. That gives me time for breaks and general shenanigans along the way. If I get into my destination earlier, so much the better. I'm usually out of camp within an hour of sunrise at the latest and try to keep daily mileage under 12.

I used to be all about making miles and now I'm all about enjoying myself.

On day hikes where I'm trying to keep some semblance of conditioning, I try for a pace around 20 min miles.

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Yeah, and the worst part about them is the distraction they provide, which typically results in walking right through spiderwebs when you're the first one down a trail early in the morning. Hiking would be a lot more fun if it wasn't for all the damn nature out there!

That's almost every morning walking my dog around the neighborhood...

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've been rucking on and off since 2017 https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/anyone-rucking-around-here.436961/

Did the 5K with 25 lbs in 47 minutes something

Works out to 15.32 MPH

Main thing I have to keep my eye on is my heart rate, VERY VERY easy to overexert yourself when you step up in weight.
    I think you meant you were doing 15:32 mile splits.

10MPH is 6 min miles and a 19min and change 5K. 15MPH would put your 5K time under 13 minutes. Your pace is actually somewhere around 4 MPH. Still nothing to sneeze at though.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I think you meant you were doing 15:32 mile splits.

10MPH is 6 min miles and a 19min and change 5K. 15MPH would put your 5K time under 13 minutes. Your pace is actually somewhere around 4 MPH. Still nothing to sneeze at though.
    Yeah, that’s the ticket. I translated that as mph in haste. Really should stop posting while working (well waiting for the computer to finish a task and getting distracted.)

As a comparison, just did 2 miles with the dog at 42 minutes. So, 21 minute splits but that’s with stops for doggy business.

Having a fitness watch and app is a good investment if you want to know numbers.

Top Bottom