• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I did the 5 mile challenge with my family. More like 8 miles kids and wife were not thrilled. But we did get stickers.
    That looks fun, I think that’ll be on the agenda for tomorrow, although I’m not crazy about the “going down the steps” I’d much rather go up them.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    That looks fun, I think that’ll be on the agenda for tomorrow, although I’m not crazy about the “going down the steps” I’d much rather go up them.
    Just turn right on the trail instead of all left turns do all right. Then you will go up instead of down :yesway:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well after my fastest 4 miles yesterday…. Extremely sore…. But chatting this morning about it I suppose it’s the boost I needed to get out. Won’t take weight (back is among the sore things after multiple back surgeries it makes me nervous) but will head out for 4+

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Well after my fastest 4 miles yesterday…. Extremely sore…. But chatting this morning about it I suppose it’s the boost I needed to get out. Won’t take weight (back is among the sore things after multiple back surgeries it makes me nervous) but will head out for 4+
    A nice relaxed walk is an excellent recovery method. I’m all pumped up to get out there, unfortunately I gotta work :xmad:

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    What are you guys using for rucks? Just old issue gear?
    Yeah, I have a couple old three day packs with spots for either a laptop or water bladder. That's where I put my plate. I used to use water for weight but it shifted around too much. GoRuck stuff is too expensive. I purchased my plates from Amazon, "Yes4All". Almost any pack works as long as its comfortable. I prefer ones with a waist belt and that laptop compartment to hold the weight in place.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Got 4 miles in this morning at turkey run, I took my sister who was always a hiker, turns out she’s out of practice :): She gave up after 3.7 miles and I was feeling like hitting it hard at that point, but whatever, I took my pack with 15 pounds of water in it, I like that, although I see the benefit of a chest and waist strap running up the hills and jumping over down trees.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I’m going to turkey run to hike this weekend with my sister, I think I’m going to throw a bunch of water bottles in a backpack. If the worst happens I can always drink my way out :laugh:
    You should try Shades State park back country loop. You can also camp overnight away from most people. My dog and I have done it quite a few times. I know most of the trails near me well and do not even need a map at Turkey Run or Shades at this point.

If you go to Turkey Run make sure to pack a trash bag. I have picked up tons, but it seems quite a few hiking there do not believe in picking up their own trash.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Got 4 miles in this morning at turkey run, I took my sister who was always a hiker, turns out she’s out of practice :): She gave up after 3.7 miles and I was feeling like hitting it hard at that point, but whatever, I took my pack with 15 pounds of water in it, I like that, although I see the benefit of a chest and waist strap running up the hills and jumping over down trees.
    The waist strap moves the load to your hips and reduces the stress on your back by probably 70-80%.
    I am likely older than you by a good margin, but I advise you to change your setup and save yourself any damage to your body that could be avoided.

Even my daypack(22L Osprey Talon) has a waist belt.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    You should try Shades State park back country loop. You can also camp overnight away from most people. My dog and I have done it quite a few times. I know most of the trails near me well and do not even need a map at Turkey Run or Shades at this point.

If you go to Turkey Run make sure to pack a trash bag. I have picked up tons, but it seems quite a few hiking there do not believe in picking up their own trash.
    The trails were definitely crowded, once we got down in the sandstone ravine it was real crowded. That’s one thing I enjoy about my little Sunday morning hikes, I usually see the same 4-5 people and that’s about it.

I’ll definitely look into a more appropriate pack, I had no issues with the weight, just didn’t care for it sliding around trying to run hills and such, but preventing problems is a lot easier than dealing with them afterwards!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    9.4 miles with the 15 pound ruck. Mile times weren’t great, but I managed my personal best distance, shoulders are pretty sore, legs are dead, I can barely walk. Feels better pretty great!
    It’s fun stuff congrats on the distance

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    9.4 miles with the 15 pound ruck. Mile times weren’t great, but I managed my personal best distance, shoulders are pretty sore(Hip belt needed), legs are dead, I can barely walk. Feels better pretty great!
    Well done. I remember when I hit mile goals with a full pack. 10 was the toughest. 15 came a few weeks later(mind you I was hiking all day everyday on the Appalachian Trail). Then 15-18 became a normal day. I did a few now and again over 20 but always had to slow down the next day so it hurt my average overall. Some days I would hit 15-18 by 2 in the afternoon and just call it a day(called it sanity,exploring,eating,socializing,and relaxing time).

At one point I was with a group of fellow through hikers and we as a group decided to try the 50 mile challenge. 50 miles in a day. We took two days off in town and loaded up on calories and rest. Left at 4am. It was my highest mile single day,but I did not make the 50. I hit 42 though hiking from 4am to 11pm. Only one of us hit the 50,I was in 3rd place out of the 8 of us. Never again. My body hated me for a good week(I still had to keep hiking and really did not want to take another zero)and I was miserable for the entire next week(did 8 the next day to the original target and called it a day,average 10-12 the rest of the week).

I will stick to my comfort zone of 15-18(10-15 on weekend hikes). I know what my body can and can not do at this point. If I am on a weekend hike and do 2-3mph I consider it a fun weekend. I see no point in pushing myself harder anymore. I have done that to the extreme already.

I will go back and try the the continental divide trail again. I did not manage to finish that one partly because of a late start and bad weather and partly because I lost the will to finish. For me it turned into well...hell. Almost everything that could go wrong did. I do not like losing even to myself and nature, so I will try that again at some point.

Side note on gear.
    Boots/shoes are number one priority. I use Merrill vents because I can not justify the cost of others(I have tried many)as I wear them out fairly quickly.

You pack is number 2.Osprey is my go to company now. They guarantee packs for life, and will repair or replace any pack for any reason. They even sent one ahead of me on the trail after I broke a frame bar dropping it 8 foot down onto rock.

Third for me are trekking poles. I thought they were a joke for a long time. Until I tried them. I can not tell you the number of times they saved me from injury, but it is quite a few and the amount of stress it reduces on your knees on down hills is incredible. I use Leki poles at this point and like them the best because I can get parts when I break them and they are light. I have used many others though and none have worked for me as long as the Leki ones.

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Well done. I remember when I hit mile goals with a full pack. 10 was the toughest. 15 came a few weeks later(mind you I was hiking all day everyday on the Appalachian Trail). Then 15-18 became a normal day. I did a few now and again over 20 but always had to slow down the next day so it hurt my average overall. Some days I would hit 15-18 by 2 in the afternoon and just call it a day(called it sanity,exploring,eating,socializing,and relaxing time).

At one point I was with a group of fellow through hikers and we as a group decided to try the 50 mile challenge. 50 miles in a day. We took two days off in town and loaded up on calories and rest. Left at 4am. It was my highest mile single day,but I did not make the 50. I hit 42 though hiking from 4am to 11pm. Only one of us hit the 50,I was in 3rd place out of the 8 of us. Never again. My body hated me for a good week(I still had to keep hiking and really did not want to take another zero)and I was miserable for the entire next week(did 8 the next day to the original target and called it a day,average 10-12 the rest of the week).

I will stick to my comfort zone of 15-18(10-15 on weekend hikes). I know what my body can and can not do at this point. If I am on a weekend hike and do 2-3mph I consider it a fun weekend. I see no point in pushing myself harder anymore. I have done that to the extreme already.

I will go back and try the the continental divide trail again. I did not manage to finish that one partly because of a late start and bad weather and partly because I lost the will to finish. For me it turned into well...hell. Almost everything that could go wrong did. I do not like losing even to myself and nature, so I will try that again at some point.

Side note on gear.
    Boots/shoes are number one priority. I use Merrill vents because I can not justify the cost of others(I have tried many)as I wear them out fairly quickly.

You pack is number 2.Osprey is my go to company now. They guarantee packs for life, and will repair or replace any pack for any reason. They even sent one ahead of me on the trail after I broke a frame bar dropping it 8 foot down onto rock.

Third for me are trekking poles. I thought they were a joke for a long time. Until I tried them. I can not tell you the number of times they saved me from injury, but it is quite a few and the amount of stress it reduces on your knees on down hills is incredible. I use Leki poles at this point and like them the best because I can get parts when I break them and they are light. I have used many others though and none have worked for me as long as the Leki ones.
    See this is the kind of info I’m here for! Thank you! I was looking at an osprey pack today, while I feel like it’s a little spendy for a few hours one a week, I do see the point of quality gear.

I bought sketchers hiking shoes strictly for hiking, I wear their other shoes for work. They are comfortable, and they offer good support, I know the one’s I wear for work I wear the treads off, usually after 4-5 months, but climbing in and out of a truck all day is tough on them, we’ll see how these hold up, so far I like them.

Poles I really haven’t put much thought to yet.

Ok, I know I’m not to the point of considering it, but the info on hiking the Appalachian Trail, it’s been something I’ve always been interested in, but was never in shape to even think about. Now I feel like this could be a possibility at some point in the distant future, but it is something I would love to learn about. Do you have any good sources to read up on about the hike?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Any opinions on these boots or this company in general? I have tried a long list of boots from big named expensive to no name cheap and I don’t really love any of them.

Both of my sons buy Rockys.
    Super lite, comfortable and wear very well.
    I buy a pair each time Rocky puts them on sale.

20220814_154711.jpg 20220814_154759.jpg 20220814_154820.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    See this is the kind of info I’m here for! Thank you! I was looking at an osprey pack today, while I feel like it’s a little spendy for a few hours one a week, I do see the point of quality gear.

I bought sketchers hiking shoes strictly for hiking, I wear their other shoes for work. They are comfortable, and they offer good support, I know the one’s I wear for work I wear the treads off, usually after 4-5 months, but climbing in and out of a truck all day is tough on them, we’ll see how these hold up, so far I like them.

Poles I really haven’t put much thought to yet.

Ok, I know I’m not to the point of considering it, but the info on hiking the Appalachian Trail, it’s been something I’ve always been interested in, but was never in shape to even think about. Now I feel like this could be a possibility at some point in the distant future, but it is something I would love to learn about. Do you have any good sources to read up on about the hike?
    I hiked with a guide book(maps,water sources,hostel information). I also used the phone app Guthooks (now called FarOut). The app was useful because hikers could leave comments such as water source is dry and has current weather and things like detours that will happen(bridge out,mudslide ect).
    This is the book(always get the new version for your hike as hostels and even the trail itself changes route yearly).

Amazon product ASIN 1736087703
    And the APP.

I spent around $11k. It can be done cheaper(not counting my gear). I saw hikers that lived on Ramen and instant potatoes,and do not recommend it. Mountain house was my main source of calories on the trail. It means most every meal I ate was over $10 dollars. I still went from a 32 waist to a 28. I was fairly fit to start,but by no means in great shape. By the end had nothing left but muscle(and I am sure I lost some because my body was burning it, hiker hunger is a real thing).
    When you are say 3 weeks into it(for me your mileage may vary) you will notice a huge ramp up of your appetite. Your body is no longer capable of relying on your body fat and the calories you are taking in are not enough. It lets you know. When I hit a town my first goal was always food. I could eat a massive amount of it.
    Funny story. Me and two other hikers went into a Texas Road house. The waiter walks up and asks what I would like(I was first). I said 3 new York strips with baked potatoes and a slice of apple pie. Her ok what would you all like to drink. I tell her Captain and coke. Asks one of the other hikers what he wants to drink,then the third and starts to walk away. Then Principal(his trail name) says to her "I still need to order,I will take the same thing he is having". The look on her face was priceless. The last hiker saw this (and being the polite woman she was) explained we were through hikers,and the woman still confused did not have a clue what that meant. So she explained it to her and ordered a ridiculous amount of food as well. We were 4 months into our hikes. The manager came out and congratulated us on making it this far and gave us a large discount. None of us left a scrap of food on that table.
    Stuffing yourself when you hit a town becomes a priority when your body hits a certain fat percentage. When you know every calorie you are burning is consuming your body you can feel it. It is not like regular hunger. By the end many hikers I saw looked like skeletons(the worst were those that should have quit honestly but continued despite lacking the funds to eat properly).

If you do decide to through hike I thought that is something not often talked about you should know. You also do not need to be in great shape to start with(I wasn't). What you do need is the drive and will to continue. It takes months. You will be hot,cold,wet,and sometimes just miserable. But then you hit some peak and the view is just incredible, or see a hiker you have not in weeks. After the first month you will have a pretty good idea of what other hikers are around you. They become a support net and you for them, but you never rely on them as any one of them could quit at any time. Everyone will have bad days at some point. Never quit on a bad day. If you are determined to finish and mentally able to get through the hell days(they will happen)and wake up every day ready to continue you stand a good chance of making it. It will test you and your body in ways you have never been tested. But it was worth it,to me.

Side note. Over half who try quit in less than 30 days. If you make it past 30 days the completion rate is around 75%.

Trail angels are a real thing. Total strangers who go out and leave water,snacks,or even throw a cook out with burgers and anything you could want on some gravel road in the middle of no where. They really changed my view on our species as a whole. I and most hikers who make it owe them,and will be forever grateful they exist. I even meet a post master who was one. He gave hikers who had not driven in months his own car keys, to go get things we needed(tiny town with only a gas station and post office,nearest real store was 11 miles away). Most would never finish the trail without meeting at least one trail angel. Most will meet many as I did.

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I hiked with a guide book(maps,water sources,hostel information). I also used the phone app Guthooks (now called FarOut). The app was useful because hikers could leave comments such as water source is dry and has current weather and things like detours that will happen(bridge out,mudslide ect).
    This is the book(always get the new version for your hike as hostels and even the trail itself changes route yearly).

Amazon product ASIN 1736087703
    And the APP.

I spent around $11k. It can be done cheaper(not counting my gear). I saw hikers that lived on Ramen and instant potatoes,and do not recommend it. Mountain house was my main source of calories on the trail. It means most every meal I ate was over $10 dollars. I still went from a 32 waist to a 28. I was fairly fit to start,but by no means in great shape. By the end had nothing left but muscle(and I am sure I lost some because my body was burning it, hiker hunger is a real thing).
    When you are say 3 weeks into it(for me your mileage may vary) you will notice a huge ramp up of your appetite. Your body is no longer capable of relying on your body fat and the calories you are taking in are not enough. It lets you know. When I hit a town my first goal was always food. I could eat a massive amount of it.
    Funny story. Me and three other hikers went into a Texas Road house. The waiter walks up and asks what I would like(I was first). I said 3 new York strips with baked potatoes and a slice of apple pie. Her ok what would you all like to drink. I tell her Captain and coke. Asks one of the other hikers what he wants to drink,then the third and starts to walk away. Then Principal(his trail name) says to her "I still need to order,I will take the same thing he is having". The look on her face was priceless. The last hiker saw this (and being the polite woman she was) explained we were through hikers,and the woman still confused did not have a clue what that meant. So she explained it to her and ordered a ridiculous amount of food as well. We were 4 months into our hikes. The manager came out and congratulated us on making it this far and gave us a large discount. None of us left a scrap of food on that table.
    Stuffing yourself when you hit a town becomes a priority when your body hits a certain fat percentage. When you know every calorie you are burning is consuming your body you can feel it. It is not like regular hunger. By the end many hikers I saw looked like skeletons(the worst were those that should have quit honestly but continued despite lacking the funds to eat properly).

If you do decide to through hike I thought that is something not often talked about you should know. You also do not need to be in great shape to start with(I wasn't). What you do need in the drive and will to continue. It takes months. You will be hot,cold,wet,and sometimes just miserable. But then you hit some peak and the view is just incredible, or see a hiker you have not in weeks. After the first month you will have a pretty good idea of what other hikers are around you. They become a support net and you for them, but you never rely on them as any one of them could quit at any time. Everyone will have bad days at some point. Never quit on a bad day. If you are determined to finish and mentally able to get through the hell days(they will happen)and wake up every day ready to continue you stand a good chance of making it. It will test you and your body in ways you have never been tested. But it was worth it,to me.
    Sounds like a great diet :lmfao: We’re going to drop you off down here, stay on the trail! No but in all seriousness thank you. One day I hope to have the financial freedom to undertake it! My plan (determination) is to keep my day hikes going year round, because, well, why not?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I am also going to continue my minimum 4 miles daily going all year I started this STRICTLY in February I do need a reusable poncho tired of disposables.
    Sounds like a great diet :lmfao: We’re going to drop you off down here, stay on the trail! No but in all seriousness thank you. One day I hope to have the financial freedom to undertake it! My plan (determination) is to keep my day hikes going year round, because, well, why not?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I am also going to continue my minimum 4 miles daily going all year I started this STRICTLY in February I do need a reusable poncho tired of disposables.
    I’m not getting that kind Of mileage, unfortunately if I get time to walk in the evening it’s usually less than a couple miles. It started raining and storming this morning, I figured it didn’t matter, I was already soaked from sweat. You can only get so wet before it no longer matters.

Top Bottom