• ...and so much more!
  • raggedoutcummins77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    morgantown in
    help with my 358 wsm

I just got my gun together and need help with a good load for it. If anyone has a barrel from fireball can you give me a little help with a good powder and projectile. I am needing a good handload recipe to load my self. Thanks for all the help. The gun is built on a savage 300 wsm. Its got a 22 inch varmint contour in 1.625 cartridge stainless steel barrel.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have a 358 bfg with a shelin barrel that likes reloader 10x and a 180gr softpoint bullet.

i also have a 358 bfg in a tc encore mgm barrel that likes 200gr accubond and varget.

this comming year im going to try and find a load that both guns will use teh 200gr barnes ttsx

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    A few things don't add up, here...

The Savage Model 111 is offered in 300 WSM...NOT 300 "wssm". In fact, unless it's some kind of wildcat I haven't heard of yet, there is no such thing as a 300 WSSM. ;)

You just had your gun built and went with a 358 WSSM? Are you positive you didn't have a 358 WSM 1.8" barrel built? It's kind of an important distinction, if you're asking for handloads. :facepalm:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    In fact, unless it's some kind of wildcat I haven't heard of yet, there is no such thing as a 300 WSSM.
    :

The most common version is called the 300 Olympic/OSSM, but there are several.

The Hornady sizing die makes a great sizer to 30 cal for forming the larger wildcats on the WSSM case without inducing a great deal of neck runout. Relatively inexpensive die set too.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I haven't loaded for that specific cartridge, but I would give Retumbo a look, it works great in my 300 RUM.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    OK, so the 300 OSSM is a known wildcat. Do you guys suppose that is what the OP's donor rifle was chambered in? Is it likely he's building a 358 WSSM on the full-length 111 action, or is he actually talking about a 358 WSM 1.8" ?

@Biggen: This is a MUCH smaller round than the 300 RUM and Retumbo is way too slow to be used in either of these cats. They require fairly fast powders, compared to what most large or magnum rifles use.

EDIT: The OP has edited his post to remove the "111" from the model.

There are still more questions than facts, in this one. For example: Is it a 358WSSM or a 358WSM 1.8" ?

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    cummins,
    Don't sweat it dude, we all have been wrong once or twice in our lives too. ;)

H4895 is supposed to be optimum for this round, the 35WSSM, 1.6". I have played with a LOT of powders with this caliber and found some that work exceptionally well.

Now, that being said, I was after two things, accuracy and velocity. I was not after the most hitting power. Sometimes you can get all three, I was just after two.

Here is what I found in my tests:
    BLC-(2) by far is the most consistent fill and velocity at A temperature. Temperature to temperature, not so much.

H4895 is a good powder BUT, if you choose to shoot a BT bullet, you may run into trouble getting a bullet to sit in the case well because of the fill. Flat base bullets work best.

H322 is a GREAT powder for consistency in all temps and fills well. Velocity is right up there too.

IMR3031 works very well and gave some wonder velocities and accuracy was surperb with 200gr and lighter bullets.

Personally, I like the MILSURP powders. I am using WC846 right now, it loads out like BLC-(2) and has so far proved to be an excellent performer. Russian 4895 is a wash because it is more like IMR4064 and too slow, too bulky to fit in this small of a case.

Currently, WC846 is giving me 2650fps with a 200gr Hornady Interlock SP.
    I am wondering if I need more than that! ;)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Several reports indicate that RL10X is another good powder to try with any of the 358 WSSM variants. As for bullets, I would focus on the 180gr TTSX or the new 200gr Accubond. If you can get solid groups from either, the performance will certainly be there.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I got 100 of the new Accubonds. Not too impressed at this time. Maybe in a faster than 1:14", maybe.

I can tell you this, there is precious little bearing surface on these bullets. The boat tail is drastic and the spire point is very long as well. I have not tried to slow them down though. Pushing them to the 2600fps area and my groups were over MOA. Haven't tried since. 200gr SPRP Hornady has been the best to this point.
    FWIW

sparkomatic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Shot BL-C2 and Barnes 200gr TSX for the first couple years with great success. The Barnes is one tough bullet! Switched to Ramshot X-terminator and 225gr Sierra GK and very pleased with that load as well. Good velocity and shoots around 1/2 inch @ 100yds thru 2 Encores my buddy and I shoot. The 1.625 BFG is a great round. I can't wait to get the 1.8v build going as soon as Fireball has everything ironed out. Good luck.

spark

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Nothing to do with BFG but I really doubt that extra .2" is going to do much. I am sure it isn't going to get you anything for accuracy and velocity might increase 100-200fps, maybe.

If that helps you in Indiana, you had to set up for the shot. Normal hunting distances, that isn't going to do much. <100 yards.....

sparkomatic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Have to agree the little extra may not make a huge difference but that really isn't the reason for building a new rifle. Here in the very southern part of the state there are still plenty of longer range opportunities. The 1.8 will be a bolt gun versus the Encore platform. I love working up new loads and sharing the info. All that makes the 1.8 exciting in my book. If they change it again in a year or two I can pretty much bet I will build another new rifle. Just my nature.

Spark

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    here are my thoughts on the 1.8, take them for that there worth. i own 2 1.625 358 bfg's. if i were doing it today i would do the 1.8 for the extra preformance, but i defintally do not think it will make a big enough diffrence for me to go to the time, cost, effort to switch. last year i was 100% confident @ 300 yds with my 1.625. ill have a little more time this year and ill be ready at 350. i really dont think i would be confident any further away with the 1.8:twocents:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If a guy was going elk hunting and you told him he could choose between a 358 Winchester or a 35 Whelen, most would go with the Whelen. That's basically the difference between the 35WSSM and 358 WSM 1.8"...nothing to sneeze at, in my book. If you get a legitimate 200fps more velocity, and that equates to 30 yards greater maximum PBR...well, what's wrong with that?

My only real "concern" with these hottest of Indiana cartridges is that you're getting elk rifle velocity to hunt a li'l ol' deer. You've got enough gun to kill an 800 pound bull and you're shooting 150-200 pound deer. I'd much rather have my 270 Winchester, which gives me 300+ yards worth of effective range, w/o rearranging my anatomy with each shot. :)

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    We don't hunt elk in Indiana and it is to that point I am speaking. A dead 100lb deer @ <100yards is a dead 100lb deer @ < 100yards.

And, I am not sure that they are getting extra velocity from the rounds that have been chosen as parent cases. The WSSM case gives a lot of volume in a short distance. Gonna be hard to beat that one. The rule was only changed, and this is just my opinion, to include the 460 S&W Mag.

Unless there is a case that keeps the main body size of the WSSM for .2", you may not even get the extra velocity. There still is that little thing called pressure too. There is just so much you can do with an Encore and a bolt gun is not the end all of all.

FWIW

Spark,
    I understand completely! ;)

Top Bottom