• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    I just want your experienced opinion. Please no hating on one brand or another because you heard or had a buddies cousins buddy once tell you....

Here's my options

Beretta nano $400
    Ruger lc9 $400
    Taurus pt709 with 250 rounds $330

I've read review after review after review and you can favorable and not favorable to its junk on each one of them. I've got enough trust in each manufacture that I don't believe I will hate any of the 3. I just want to try and figure out which one I may like best. I'm leaning towards one and I basically want to see if the opinions of ingoers can sway me or solidify my choice. I am also open to other suggestions for a sub compact, only thing I ask is it must be fairly easy to find I don't pay inflated prices due to hype. It's :popcorn: time fire away :ar15:

guncakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    I like my EDC 709. I've only been able to put about 300 rounds through her, but she's done just wonderfully. That's a pretty good price too.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I love Beretta.That said I have shot 2 nano's and would barely consider it a Beretta and would pass for sure.
    I have a pf9 it is similar to your LC9.I like the grips on the PF9 more than I did the LC9.The LC9 also has a magazine safety,which I do not care at all for(must have a magazine in to fire).Both the Keltec PF9 and Ruger LC9 are reliable pistols.

Last edited:

jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box
    I just picked up a used 709 but have only put about 30 rounds through it. It was easy to handle and didn't have any issues with it. I haven't shot it enough to feel comfortable carrying it so I can't speak to that.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love my Nano. It has run with no problems at all for about 500 rounds. Has always stayed open on the last round. I love the 8 round extended mags as well. I have Beretta night sites on mine which are easily installed, bright and reasonably priced especially for Beretta branded items.

I also had a problem with internal finish initially (I bought it when I first found one and is < Serial # 1000). Their service was fast and very satisfactory resolution.

You can shoot it for extended periods at the range and its much more comfortable than my LCP or DB9 were. For me it's tremendously underrated for the price point. :twocents:

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Of those three, definitely Nano. You may want to check out a CM9 as well, though I was impressed with the buiild quality of the Nano. The one I still have is a Walther PPS, more $, but the trigger and ergos are superior enough to me to justify the price. .

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Of the three you listed I have owned the Ruger LC9 and the Taurus PT709.

I didn't care for a few things on the Ruger.
    1) It was a PITA to field strip.
    2) I HATED the mag saftey and the thumb saftey was so small it was un-useable for me.
    3) Ruger says no dry firing the LC9 so snap caps are a must.

Other than that it was 100% reliable and fairly accurate for a gun of its size. I thought I would give it to my fiance to carry but the recoil was to much for her. So I traded it off.

The Taurus was just plain junk. I know you said you trust Taurus but I do not. My 709 would just not run. Period. No matter the ammo, no matter the mag, even after sending it back to Taurus it would not run. FTFs and FTEs, randomly through ~200 rounds it never made it through a single mag w/o atleast one malfunction. Just not reliable enough to carry. When it would shoot it was more accurate than my Ruger LC9 was. I really had high hopes for the little 709. But alas it was not ment to be.

I have no input on the Nano although it is an interesing little pistol. Seems it has a positive buzz about it.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I bought a Nano and kept it for exactly two weeks. It had to be the longest trigger I have ever pulled. Felt like I had time for coffee break between starting the pull and hearing a bang. Had a few FTF in the first couple mags then it ran fine after that. Carried nice.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The 709 is a great firearm, I've had mine for two years and love it, when I carry cc, and I oc my Taurus 809.

Pearce make a nifty mag extension that does not add rounds, but helps with the control and comfort. I think I'm getting close to 650 rounds of trouble free operation.

With the 709 being $330.00 and 250 rounds, it's a bargain, jump on it and run.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The Taurus was just plain junk. I know you said you trust Taurus but I do not. My 709 would just not run. Period. No matter the ammo, no matter the mag, even after sending it back to Taurus it would not run. FTFs and FTEs, randomly through ~200 rounds it never made it through a single mag w/o atleast one malfunction. Just not reliable enough to carry. When it would shoot it was more accurate than my Ruger LC9 was. I really had high hopes for the little 709. But alas it was not ment to be.

I'm betting this was before it was determined that there was a serious extractor problem causing the problems when it was first manufactured, that has all been taken care of now.

Mine is a post problem fix, nary a problem with me, only exception is when Mrs. IBM limp wrists it. :laugh:

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    I have never shot the Taurus, but I have ran a few mags through each of the others. I was not a fan of the Nano, it was pretty snappy, and I had a FTF because of that. I'm sure once you get used to handling it, the failures would be cut down... but sure enough to trust your life to it? The LC9 was ok, long trigger pull with a short gun equals not a great choice in my book, but I liked the feel and size. Price point, with ammo, makes the Taurus attractive. Out of the other comments, there are about 7 positive to 1 or 2 negative, and I have heard positives elsewhere. I think that may be your best bet. But, if at all possible, try to hold each of them, watch a few reviews, google them, see what people are saying. Also, look at how they are fixing the problems, prices for accessories/mags/holsters, etc, and base your decision off of the total lifespan of the firearm, not just the upfront cost. Good luck, and don't drive yourself crazy.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm betting this was before it was determined that there was a serious extractor problem causing the problems when it was first manufactured, that has all been taken care of now.

Mine is a post problem fix, nary a problem with me, only exception is when Mrs. IBM limp wrists it. :laugh:

I've seen too many issues with Taurus products first hand for me to comfortably recomend thier products to anyone.

My 709 was just the last straw. I gave Taurus a fair chance, I will never own another.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I vote 709, or maybe a Shield, Smith's copy of the 709. I carried a 709 for a couple of years, nice pistol, flawless function, plenty accurate for it's intended use.

I did trade it off, just can't get used to the short grip frame on these sub compact pistols, don't like the dangling digit. I went up in size and way up in price to a Colt Defender it works for me.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've seen too many issues with Taurus products first hand for me to comfortably recomend thier products to anyone.

My 709 was just the last straw. I gave Taurus a fair chance, I will never own another.
    I currently own 4 Taurus' s and have have had 3 others, not a single problem with any oc them or the umteen that my friends have. That being said, Taurus has some bad ones just like every other manufactuer.

I vote 709, or maybe a Shield, Smith's copy of the 709. I carried a 709 for a couple of years, nice pistol, flawless function, plenty accurate for it's intended use.

I did trade it off, just can't get used to the short grip frame on these sub compact pistols, don't like the dangling digit. I went up in size and way up in price to a Colt Defender it works for me.

That's why I bought Pearce grip extensions, pinky no longer hangs off and feels better in fhe hand.

jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box

I guess I should consider myself very fortunate. The 709 is my third Taurus and I still have yet to have an issue with one.
    I hope my good luck holds out.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Beretta Nano would get my vote. Mine reliably feeds anything, field striping is easy and, if you believe the rumors, will be available in .40 this summer/fall.

Top Bottom